Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rolling Stone Magazine has just published a report that delves deep into not only gas and oil price manipulation but much much more. If the report is correct there has been some huge profits (at all of our expense) made by the manipulators who are clearly identified. It is a long read, seven parts, so here is the link for those that want to have their eyes opened and their blood boiled. There is also a link to a short video that summarizes the report.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story..._bubble_machine

Jim

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(Big Dog @ Jul 14 2009, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Maybe I better wait until I have a couple of cocktails, before I read that linked article?

I wonder how much will come as a surprise?

More than you might think. Much of it was a surprise to me. I hadn't made many of the connections exposed. We all knew someone was manipulating but we had no idea who. Stone lays it all out.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts

Simply amazing what money can do. Its hard to believe but its happening!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Excellent post. I read it all and was aware of some aspects and totally ignorant to other parts. In my opinion, the cap and trade and health care bills floating right now are two big nails in the American coffin, should they pass.

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
here's the problem....

I read the article, makes a LOT of sense... it took me quite a long time to read, and I had to read it slowly to digest all the technical information about the markets, etc etc etc

I wasn't an easy read

I have a business admin degree BBA from UofM Ann Arbor, and it was somewhat tough to completly comrehend

I would say the average american, or 90% of the people wouldn't make it past page one without stopping reading and not understanding a bit of it.... do you think the 21 year old bimbo on the back of zmans boat has a clue about 1% of what was written in there

but...... put two simple words together and you can fool the masses

HOPE and CHANGE

doesn't matter what it means, its just basic and understandable by everyone in the united states....

and its not just the Democrats, its a cycle between both parties.... each have their cheap slogans to appeal to the masses, slogans that don't mean anything other than BOHICA

so until people stop being ignorant and vote based on intelligence, and accept third party ideas, you, me, and the rest of the ignorant masses will continue to be screwed....

nothing will change

·
Registered
168 Posts
QUOTE(Goose @ Jul 14 2009, 11:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>here's the problem....

I read the article, makes a LOT of sense... it took me quite a long time to read, and I had to read it slowly to digest all the technical information about the markets, etc etc etc

I wasn't an easy read

I have a business admin degree BBA from UofM Ann Arbor, and it was somewhat tough to completly comrehend

I would say the average american, or 90% of the people wouldn't make it past page one without stopping reading and not understanding a bit of it.... do you think the 21 year old bimbo on the back of zmans boat has a clue about 1% of what was written in there

HOPE and CHANGE

doesn't matter what it means, its just basic and understandable by everyone in the united states....

and its not just the Democrats, its a cycle between both parties.... each have their cheap slogans to appeal to the masses, slogans that don't mean anything other than BOHICA

so until people stop being ignorant and vote based on intelligence, and accept third party ideas, you, me, and the rest of the ignorant masses will continue to be screwed....

nothing will change

As I posted on a thread last week "Wall Street always get paid first".

I haven't voted for the Repubs or Dems in a long time. My guys never win..............

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
QUOTE(Goose @ Jul 14 2009, 11:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>here's the problem....

I wasn't an easy read

HOPE and CHANGE

nothing will change
Good points. Worst of all, we're churning out people skilled in "conflict resolution" rather than critical thinking.

I don't claim expert status, but so far, after reading the first half of the article, two things occur to me. First, a major correctional opportunity was flushed down the drain with the bailouts.

Secondly, there is only one entity which has both the obligation to create and enforce a reasonably honest playing field, and the power transfer the ill-effects of one group onto the entire country. Unfortunately for all of us, rather than protect us from bad behavior with reasonable rules and enforcement, government is complicit in the whole mess. Rather than allow the often ignored side of capitalism -failure- to work it's magic, government has insulated itself and the engagers of poor practices from negative consequence.

Lucky us! We get to weather the sting of shady practices, bare the cost burdens of propping up the failings of such practices, AND live within the reduced opportunities resulting from both.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This article was in the WSJ yesterday (hows that for timing) which adds a little to the RS article and also substantiates some of the RS claims.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1247621294...emEditorialPage

The money the RS article talks about in mind boggling. It makes me wonder how much of it made its way to the LSC area and bought some of the big boats on the lake. More probably the majority of it stayed in the New York area.

Jim

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Very good article. An analogy I can come up with comparing us to Goldman Sachs would be allowing us to walk the floors of a Hospice and take out life insurance policies on the residents making us the benefactors.

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
QUOTE(Goose @ Jul 14 2009, 11:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>so until people stop being ignorant and vote based on intelligence, and accept third party ideas, you, me, and the rest of the ignorant masses will continue to be screwed....

nothing will change

I don't share a political view hardly ever on here, but Goose my friend..... I have to agree with you 110% with that comment there.

After reading through most of that article I do have to say I feel pretty small in the world. There are people in this world that couldn't spend all their money in 3 life times. And we are just suckers....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts