1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and he whips out what I have seen referred to as "tampon bumpers"

you know, the smallest, cheapest size with cloth line for ties

do you tell him NO

do you tell him to next time buy some better bumpers (then look like a D)

I have 4 of the good size bumpers and one extra stowed below, i usually put three on one side so i have an extra just in case some knucklehead with tampons shows up

but it shouldn't be my responsibility to provide bumpers on both sides, i have lost bumbers before when i have all five out and forget about the ones on the "other" side

well, just as a word of advise - throw away the tampon bumpers and go out and buy some real ones

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
QUOTE(Goose @ Jul 6 2004, 10:34 AM)and he whips out what I have seen referred to as "tampon bumpers"

you know, the smallest, cheapest size with cloth line for ties
LMAO !!!

I totally can relate to those useless things, Goose. I always put out 2 on each side just to make sure that my boat will be OK. And I try to reft with boats close to my size, to minimze the bumping.

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
You are correct to beotch, or refuse, it is your baot that may get damaged !

·
Vendor
14,664 Posts
I wondered about this topic. I only have 2 bumpers which are say either 10 or 12 inches around in diameter and maybe 30 inches long. My boat is only 21 1/2 feet long with an 8 foot beam... Now, can I raft off with you guys????? Am I too small to tie up with your boats? I only have room on my boat to carry 2 fenders/bumpers...

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
Perfect, Fenders (Bumpers) should be relevant to the size of the vessel. some people pull up in a 26-28 foot boat with tampons, or something. Smaller fenders for smaller boats is usually not an issue, it is the bigger boats with the $10,..... or Garage sale fenders on them that cause concern.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
For Jobbienooner at Gull i have a 22' Checkmate raft on me with 3 total "Tampon" bumpers

I added 2 of mine to that side, however the boats got really tight together(due to lack of anchors and the larger boats that tied on from there) and his rubrail was much lower than mine, now I have deep scratches in my Blue gelcoat and my new pinstripping is all fudged up

In the future i feel i have the right to refuse a wanna be raftee with unapropriate bumpers etc.

A week ago Sunday i had a 225 FourWinns pull up to raft bow into my port side saying"i don't have reverse" and none of his crew even flinched to help, or had fenders/lines ready... WTF?!
Walk your boat in or don't raft in that situation.

I have 4 round and 2 foam/flat fenders equilivent for my boat size 24'.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Your right. But most of the time I head out with friends
and they all have nice fenders (like boatchic) so i have
not ran into to many problems. If you ask them to
move then they can cop a attiude and sometimes
its not worth the hassle.

·
Registered
557 Posts
QUOTE(beachbum @ Jul 6 2004, 11:01 AM)I don't care who's rafting off me I always wip out

big 10''

bumpers

they work very well

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(dancinggirl @ Jul 6 2004, 10:59 AM)QUOTE(beachbum @ Jul 6 2004, 11:01 AM)I don't care who's rafting off me I always wip out

big 10''

bumpers

they work very well

yeah, but i heard once someone rubs up against them a few times they deflate ......

·
Registered
557 Posts
QUOTE(Goose @ Jul 6 2004, 12:04 PM)QUOTE(dancinggirl @ Jul 6 2004, 10:59 AM) QUOTE(beachbum @ Jul 6 2004, 11:01 AM)I don't care who's rafting off me I always wip out

big 10''

bumpers

they work very well

yeah, but i heard once someone rubs up against them a few times they deflate ......
then I guess you have to blow them up again

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE(dancinggirl @ Jul 6 2004, 11:08 AM)QUOTE(Goose @ Jul 6 2004, 12:04 PM) QUOTE(dancinggirl @ Jul 6 2004, 10:59 AM) QUOTE(beachbum @ Jul 6 2004, 11:01 AM)I don't care who's rafting off me I always wip out

big 10''

bumpers

they work very well

then I guess you have to blow them up again

i'm not touching his bumpers,

you can manually inflate them by hand

·
Registered
380 Posts
Tampons eh goose???? I think there has been mention to me a few times about my fenders... and their size...

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
they deflate only after the airbag deploy's!!!

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
My take is that if your in the Gauntlet your putting yourself in a positon that this could happen. So knowing that you should let him raft but also remind him that he should upgrade to larger bumpers like everyone else. Than simple point out a few boats with nice bumpers and lines.

·
12,052 Posts
If your fenders are as big as mine, and your rub rail is as high as mine.....feel free to raft off.

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE(KezzerOne @ Jul 6 2004, 11:12 AM)Tampons eh goose???? I think there has been mention to me a few times about my fenders... and their size...
yeah, those girls on your boat saturday told me you had a small fender

·
Registered
380 Posts
QUOTE(Goose @ Jul 6 2004, 12:15 PM)QUOTE(KezzerOne @ Jul 6 2004, 11:12 AM) Tampons eh goose???? I think there has been mention to me a few times about my fenders... and their size...
yeah, those girls on your boat saturday told me you had a small fender
Oh really??? Well first off, that wasn't my boat, and second off, those girls wouldnt know about my fender.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts