15,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Main Entry: fo·rum
Pronunciation: \ˈfȯr-əm\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural forums also fo·ra \-ə\
Etymology: Latin; akin to Latin foris outside, fores door - more at door
Date: 15th century
1 a : the marketplace or public place of an ancient Roman city forming the center of judicial and public business b : a public meeting place for open discussion c : a medium (as a newspaper or online service) of open discussion or expression of ideas
2 : a judicial body or assembly : court
3 a : a public meeting or lecture involving audience discussion b : a program (as on radio or television) involving discussion of a problem usually by several authorities

I've been involved with the internet in one way or another since 1989 when I got my first email address. I have used forums and live chat. Even worked as a moderator in a live chat environment (where I met Tigs). In all that time one thing has been constant. People find a way to get their knickers in a twist over something.

The object of this forum is to share information and to have open discussion. There are a lot of different opinions from folks of many different backgrounds. We are not all going to agree. I think in large part, the vast majority of folks contribute something to a discussion because they either have first hand knowledge, have an interest in the topic, or feel passionate about the topic. In a few cases people just chime in to be funny (guilty).

In short, there are gonna be folks there that make you mad with their opinion. Short answer, ignore them. Better answer, try to see their side of things.

OK I'm hopping off my soap box now. Carry on.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
I get it, my funniness doesn't always come through

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
QUOTE(Stodge @ Aug 21 2009, 09:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>In a few cases people just chime in to be funny (guilty).
Me too - it's called "comic relief". I don't have a dog in that fight (hahaha) so I occasionally interject, sorry if anybody takes offense.

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
Oh, there's nothing wrong with being funny. Lord knows I try. I just listed that as one of the reasons, among many, that folks add to a thread.

The intended message was for folks not to get their knickers in a twist over stuff said here.

Note to self: Be more clear in my posts.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Thanks for pointing out the obvious, but I think the people/person who really needs to heed this advise won't see (them)selves .

99% of the posts in this forum are helpful and 1% is no value added. The NVA stuff doesn't bug me when it's a funny or humorous post, but when it occurs in a serious or helpful thread it's downright frustrating.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
I'm right about everything. If you have a different opinion, you are simply wrong. There will be no discussion, you will change your opinion and that's that.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
QUOTE(HazyMemory @ Aug 21 2009, 10:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm right about everything. If you have a different opinion, you are simply wrong. There will be no discussion, you will change your opinion and that's that.

[sarcasm] So we are now applying the rules of the Politics forum to the entire board? Most excellent! :) [/sarcasm]

Agree w/ Mike. +1 to Christine as well. Not going to get all Forrest Gump here, but did you ever notice that in each layer in a box of chocolates there is always one chocolate that is nasty. For me, it is anything with noisettes / hazelnuts. Rather than getting all snide and shouting "effing hazelnut nougat" and throwing the chocolate across the room, my mom taught me that a gentle I don't care for that, and quietly setting it aside would be appreciated. Conversation gets pretty boring pretty fast if all you manage to say is "I frickin' hate hazelnut nougat" every third time you open your mouth. As I said, I don't either - but that's my business and I don't feel a need to share it w/ 10,000 strangers, er registered chocolate eaters, plus the untold numbers of ppl who 'eat chocolate'. And I am sure there are also (at least) one or two of you out there that happen to like hazelnut nougat -- in small doses, or by the boxful, so I wouldn't want to offend them.

Doesn't it seem to come back to all I really need to know I learned in kindergarten?

Of course, ymmv.

Scott.

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
QUOTE(Buoys will be Buoys @ Aug 21 2009, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(HazyMemory @ Aug 21 2009, 10:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm right about everything. If you have a different opinion, you are simply wrong. There will be no discussion, you will change your opinion and that's that.

[sarcasm] So we are now applying the rules of the Politics forum to the entire board? Most excellent! :) [/sarcasm]

Agree w/ Mike. +1 to Christine as well. Not going to get all Forrest Gump here, but did you ever notice that in each layer in a box of chocolates there is always one chocolate that is nasty. For me, it is anything with noisettes / hazelnuts. Rather than getting all snide and shouting "effing hazelnut nougat" and throwing the chocolate across the room, my mom taught me that a gentle I don't care for that, and quietly setting it aside would be appreciated. Conversation gets pretty boring pretty fast if all you manage to say is "I frickin' hate hazelnut nougat" every third time you open your mouth. As I said, I don't either - but that's my business and I don't feel a need to share it w/ 10,000 strangers, er registered chocolate eaters, plus the untold numbers of ppl who 'eat chocolate'. And I am sure there are also (at least) one or two of you out there that happen to like hazelnut nougat -- in small doses, or by the boxful, so I wouldn't want to offend them.

Doesn't it seem to come back to all I really need to know I learned in kindergarten?

Of course, ymmv.

Scott.

Well said Scott, but I prefer my hazelnuts just shelled and plain, no chocolate or nougat needed to cover up the flavor. But on the other hand whatever somebody else chooses to eat or not eat, has never offended me in the least

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
QUOTE(Buoys will be Buoys @ Aug 21 2009, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>For me, it is anything with noisettes / hazelnuts. Rather than getting all snide and shouting "effing hazelnut nougat"...
Scott.

for me it's the fruit cremes... trade you for the hazelnut nougats?

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
QUOTE(Stodge @ Aug 21 2009, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just because you would rather have chocolate chip cookes instead of chocolates.
And you do like chocolates.

You like to eat everything but not everything likes your tummy.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts