Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Howard Stern kicked off a new contest today looking for The World's Smartest Stripper. It's like his homeless game or his routine asking some dopey beauty questions that you might think everyone should know and then betting whether they answer correctly. But it's played like Win Fred's Money (but without time limits) with one girl in an isolation booth while the first answers the questions and then the second taking her shot at it.

Today's questions seemed ridiculously easy to me, and I was surprised when the smarter of these two first contestants only answered three of seven correctly. But after thinking about it awhile, I wondered if maybe these common bits of knowledge are not all known by folks under, say, 30. So I asked various people here at work who I consider quite bright - I.T., advertising, and claims people. No one got more than four until I hit on another old guy. See how you do:

1. What did Jonas Salk invent?
2. Where is your retina?
3. What does the "D.C." stand for in Washington D.C.?
4. Where is the Astrodome?
5. How many feet are in a yard?
6. Who is Sirhan Sirhan?
7. What were the first names of the four Beatles?

Answers below

1. Any kid in the fifties knew who Jonas Salk was and that he had invented a vaccine for polio. We used to collect dimes on cards and turn them in to the March of Dimes to find a cure for those kids already afflicted. And I remember vividly when I was taken to the Ferndale library for my own vaccination, delivered with a weird looking metal gun with a mouth like a lamphrey eel (my mind may be playing tricks on me on that part). No one I asked today, all college grads, ever heard of Jonas Salk!
2. Of course, your retinas are part of your beautiful eyes. One stripper thought it was "part of your butt". Everyone at work knew the right answer.
3. District of Columbia caused my pals more trouble than I would have thought, some actually not knowing it! Both strippers got that one, but one had real trouble and was guessing.
4. Almost no one at work knew the Astrodome is the home of the Houston Astros. And when I asked further why a team from Houston might be called the Astros, these same folks couldn't remember the significance of the space program there ("Houston, we have a problem").
5. One stripper said there are twelve feet in a yard. Only one person I work with said that but then corrected herself, said 24, then said "I mean two!". I left it alone.
6. Strippers had no idea who killed Robert Kennedy and neither did my associates. So I didn't bother asking them my own additional widely known trivia question of who tackled Sirhan and dragged him to the ground (football player Roosevelt "Rosie" Greer). Some folks got Sirhan confused with Duran Duran.
7. The strippers had trouble with the Beatles, unless one was also named Phil or Frank, and I guess I can understand that if you weren't in high school when the British invasion took place.

All in all this was very eye-opening to me. It's like we live in different Americas. I guess my folks feel the same way, although I think I could answer questions about their early years more successfully and it makes me wonder what is taught in school today.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I gott'em all!! I got stuck on the Beatles 1st names, it took me awhile to remember George Harrison's 1st name. Does anyone know who is considered the 5th Beatle?

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would you be referring to Peter Best? Original drummer who stayed in Germany to pursue his art career while the Beatles went back to England and rounded up Ringo.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
I had trouble with Jonas Salk. I heard the name before, but coudn't remember who he was. Got the rest though. However I didn't know that Rosie Greer tackled Sirhan Sirhan

·
LSCN Sponsor
1,910 Posts
Unbelievable that people did not know the answers. Maybe its an age thing like you said. But I mean the names of the beatles. come on thats like not knowing Elvis last name.

·
AKA: Veronique
1,218 Posts
The only ones I knew were the ones about the retina, how many feet in a yard, and D.C.

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
knew em all except sirhan.

soosassy, at first i was like, 'jonas salk? that's an elementary school in fraser!' lol! like minds think a like! lol!

·
Registered
487 Posts
QUOTE(damn yankee @ Oct 9 2003, 06:00 PM)I gott'em all!! I got stuck on the Beatles 1st names, it took me awhile to remember George Harrison's 1st name. Does anyone know who is considered the 5th Beatle?
I know Peter Best was the original drummer, but I thought Billy Preston was always considered the 5th Beatle..."Nothin' from Nothin' "

·
LSCN Sponsor
1,910 Posts
OMG People we are talking about the beatles here. Not some obscure group. I mean they are a legendary group, an Icon even. can we say

Paul Macartny

John Lenon

George Harrison

Ringo Starr
Does anyone even know who was the guitar player for Zepplin was.
Good Lord

1 - 12 of 12 Posts