Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't remember the first time I watched the following series of events take place, but I always keep my eye peeled for these wigglers while I'm anchored on the lake, and last week I took these pictures. If you didn't know the ugly little swimmy-crawly things could be so entertaining, maybe now you'll give one safe harbor on your boat sometime and watch as he changes. It's really fascinating and it takes less than an hour!

Here's the "wiggler" right after I pulled him out of the water. I saw him while I was in the lake, washing the boat, and he was struggling to get out of the water and climb up the stern.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Within about 15 minutes, you think the poor little guy has dried out and died! He keels over, turns a dry looking brown, and his legs curl up. But don’t chuck him overboard just yet. In another ten minutes or so he comes popping out of his former skin.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As the pack on his back begins to dry, it changes from looking like wet spaghetti to begin to resemble wings and his body begins to lengthen.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
His wings reach their final length but his body continues to telescope out.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He strains to squeeze water out the end of his body to lighten the load.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And finally he has become a fully functional dragonfly – a few seconds after this shot he flew away!

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
... an probably became a splatter on someone's windshield.

Still, that pretty interesting.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Prett cool.

Unfortunately my 5 year old just asked me if she can have one for a pet.

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
VEDY COO

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After a little rearch (amazing the kind of sites on the web!) I discovered this is not a dragonfly but its relative, a Damselfly. They hold their wings against their body when at rest while dragonflies hold them out. I suppose dragonflies must develop the same way, though.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
My girls always enjoy dragonflies landing on them at the boat....they enjoyed the pictures. Thanks
A little education for the day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts