Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While trolling from beacon cove to the st. clair light lighouse my buddy noticed something in the water it was a white pole similar to a sail boat mast. I don't believe it's a bouy, no light or markings except maybe the letter K in black. I did not come to close but marked a waypoint on the gps N 42 29.374' W 082 47.646 that should be within a hundred feet you can't miss it. It took me be surprise was wondering if any else noticed it. It looked like a pole, white maybe about 6" in diameter sticking up 4 or 5 feet. It did not show up on gps, at least I think it did'nt I was looking at it & not the screen, then I marked it. It was west of light house from the shipping channel. Curious.

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
? Maybe a blowboat sank? Woo hoo....more structure to fish

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Sounds like a sailboat marker. There are 5-10 of them scattered throughout the lake in various areas. Some of them look to be made from capped PVC piping, are very thin, and do not stick out of the water very far. IMO they are a navigational hazard especially in low-light conditions.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(little guy @ Jun 19 2009, 03:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sounds like a sailboat marker. There are 5-10 of them scattered throughout the lake in various areas. Some of them look to be made from capped PVC piping, are very thin, and do not stick out of the water very far. IMO they are a navigational hazard especially in low-light conditions.

Exactly what it is. Not an obstruction. Those bouys have been out for a few weeks and are placed by some sailing club to mark their course that they race on.

I do believe that the bouys have reflective markings making them legal.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
QUOTE(Mini @ Jun 19 2009, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(little guy @ Jun 19 2009, 03:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sounds like a sailboat marker. There are 5-10 of them scattered throughout the lake in various areas. Some of them look to be made from capped PVC piping, are very thin, and do not stick out of the water very far. IMO they are a navigational hazard especially in low-light conditions.

Exactly what it is. Not an obstruction. Those bouys have been out for a few weeks and are placed by some sailing club to mark their course that they race on.

I do believe that the bouys have reflective markings making them legal.

I concur..

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll have to agree with little guy - navagational hazard even in daytime - trolling along at 4 mph took me by surprise - let alone cruising and not seeing anything on gps/chartplotter. If someone was'nt on there toes and moving fast they could just look up and hit it or us trolling and wrap your lines/trolling boards around it... I don't remember seeing reflective tape - could be wrong. Feel better that I did not run across a recently sunk sailboat with a broken mast and I'll add it looked clean on top - not broken. Sailboat markers -would not have thunk that. Thanks for responses. Never ending learning on this site & Fishing Reports & Tips! Curiosity solved!!!

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
QUOTE(lance1161 @ Jun 19 2009, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>While trolling from beacon cove to the st. clair light lighouse my buddy noticed something in the water it was a white pole similar to a sail boat mast. I don't believe it's a bouy, no light or markings except maybe the letter K in black. I did not come to close but marked a waypoint on the gps N 42 29.374' W 082 47.646 that should be within a hundred feet you can't miss it. It took me be surprise was wondering if any else noticed it. It looked like a pole, white maybe about 6" in diameter sticking up 4 or 5 feet. It did not show up on gps, at least I think it did'nt I was looking at it & not the screen, then I marked it. It was west of light house from the shipping channel. Curious.

i mark em on my gps so when im running at nite i know where they are

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Ya know... on a similar note, I've always thought the "No Wake" bouys in the center of the channels ought to be lit in some way too... Folks from elsewhere, who don't know the no wake zones (even though they're responsible for knowing ala the USCG Coast Pilot), come blasting through them at night... if they were lit, even by a flashing solar powered LED, they'd at least attract attention. The reflectors are fine, but at 25 mph, if they're not LOOKING for them, chances are they'll run 'em down before they see 'em. The ones in the NC and Snye have been chewed up any number of times.

It can't be that expensive or hard to light some of these buoys with solar LED gear.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
speakin of obstructions stickin outta the water, right out from the launch at Crocker (approx 100 yards & 20 yards ) theres quite a few dead heads only looming a couple inches outta the water. Last time I was out I tried to pull them out, but couldnt. How come the DNR doesnt pull these out? They are prop/boat wreckers for sure. I seen them last year as well...and continue wondering why they are still there.

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
QUOTE(Papa Smurf @ Jun 20 2009, 08:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>speakin of obstructions stickin outta the water, right out from the launch at Crocker (approx 100 yards & 20 yards ) theres quite a few dead heads only looming a couple inches outta the water. Last time I was out I tried to pull them out, but couldnt. How come the DNR doesnt pull these out? They are prop/boat wreckers for sure. I seen them last year as well...and continue wondering why they are still there.

That probably wouldn't be a DNR responsibility, more than likely Coast Guard or Army Corp of Engineers, but it would be nice to see them removed.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
The stuff at Crocker could be remnants of some old docks at admiral marine. when it was there

1 - 13 of 13 Posts