Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been wondering, why is it that some fish are caught more or less consistently throughout the year, while some are almost only caught during certain times, IE. a spawn or something. For example, tons of sucker are caught during the spring run, but then you hardley hear of them until the next spring. White bass seem to be the same way. On the other hand, bass, pike, and muskie can be caught more consistently. I would have to assume that movement and there diets would play a role, as well as the fact that many people dont really try to find them. It just seems like thats a sh!t load of fish that seem to more or less fall off the radar for most of the year. Just figured i would see what you guys thought.

·
Registered
958 Posts
That would more than likely be due to higher concentrations of fish in certain areas that are fairly predictable on top of popular fish compared to not so popular fish. I personally don't know of anyone that has or would take the time to pattern something like suckers outside of their huge runs.

It's all a matter for which fish get the attention and which don't.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You would think people would still run into some sucker while walleye fishing though. With all those people drowning worms, it just seems like somebody would find one or two. I mean nobody really targets sheepshead ,(except for me
) but they're caught occasionally. IDK, i might just be overthinking it, lol. I like thinking of different things that havent really been studied that i may be able to work on once i start doing some thesis work.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Me personally I target fish in general. If it bites and it has fins and it swims then I like catching it. I can imagine people targeting these other species though but i think it is much more common on rivers as opposed to the lakes.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I think you have to keep in mind that whenever fish are on the spawn they become more vulnerable. Most of the fish you mention are typically accidental catches due to the pure concentration of them. The spawn definately concentrates fish and this may be the answer to your question. Once the spawn is over the fish are still out there but few people target them. I would imagine that if you specifically targeted the fish and knew their typical patterns you could still catch them, just not in the same numbers as when they are on the spawn. I know that on erie I still catch plenty of white bass walleye fishing and perch fishing, same with sheephead.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
To each his own. To me fish like suckers and silver bass are good tasting fish, (cooked right) when caught in the spring. Plus the spawn congregates them.
In the spring the flesh is firmer etc. later in the year they turn mushy. But that's my taste.not everyones.

·
3,236 Posts
QUOTE(EagleLarry @ Sep 12 2009, 11:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>To each his own. To me fish like suckers and silver bass are good tasting fish, (cooked right) when caught in the spring. Plus the spawn congregates them.
In the spring the flesh is firmer etc. later in the year they turn mushy. But that's my taste.not everyones.

Nice catch on your avatar eagle larry. Looks like the hooters were in season when that photo was taken.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.