Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 4 yr old son, Matthew, has been begging me for a couple of week to take him ice fishing. I told him we could go Sunday for a while and then come home and go to evening mass. Sunday morning we got up and ate breakfast. Matthew said, "daddy can we go fishing today?" I told him it's really cold out, are you sure you want to go out? "Yes daddy!!!!!"
So an hour and a half later I have Matthew and myself dressed for the cold, and the Jeep all packed up. Shanty - check, poles- check, buckets-check, tackle-check, sled to carry everything-check. We are off. 20 minutes down the road, Matt said, "Daddy, how do we make the hole?".........spud and auger- not checked!! We turn around for home and get the stuff to make a hole.
We're off ......again. 4o minutes later, we stop at Jimmy's, get the minnows and worms and head out on to the ice, gear in tow. Picture the sled, packed with gear, Matt sitting on top of the shanty, and me, the work dog, out in front. We clear the canal out to the lake, and the wind hits us, I think wow it's kind of windy out here. We go out about 150 yard and set up the shanty. I tell Matthew to get in so he's out of the wind. I get out and Matt and the shanty start to blow away! I grab the rope!! So there I am drilling the hole with the rope wrapped around my leg. I stop to clear the ice shavings out of the hole just before it breaks through, scooping them out and throwing them out onto the ice, the wind blowing them all over. I stick the auger back into the hole to finish, but it will not cut the ice, so I pull it back out and see that a screw that holds the blade in place has fallen out. Remember the wind blowing the ice shavings all over the ice? Now I'm on all fours crawling around on the ice looking for a screw with the rope to the shanty around me. At least I didn't hear anyother fisherman laughing at me through the howling of the wind.
Finally, I find the screw, put it back in and finish the hole........Matthew says, "Daddy I'm cold, I want to go home." I jump in the shanty which stays just fine with my fat butt in it. I tell Matt let's fish alittle, it will warm up with both of us in here. I'm thinking if we start catching fish, he'll forget about the cold. I bait up a pole and throw it in and just like that there are perch under the hole. Matthew starts crying hysterically. I look in the hole and see giant perch. I look at Matt who has tears rolling down his check, and start packing up. 15 minutes later Matthew is sitting in the jeep warming up, because it hasn't sat long enough to cool down, and I pack up the gear. On the way home Matthew said, "Daddy I think I will go fishing with you again when you have a boat." The Minnow are in a bucket in the basement if anyone want to go!! And that was my Sunday.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Kids, ya gotta love them. I remember taking my boy out at that age and man it was a lot of work. It will get better and he will come around. keep taking him and maybe try to get a cheap heater, that will help out alot. My boy is alomost 9 now, and he`s out there every weekend with me and loves it, ( i still have to take the fish of the hook, but he`s getting better ) Good luck and bring alot of snacks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
I don't mean to laugh but how can you not. Us dad's go threw this with our sons. I know exactly what you went through. Great story and you and your son will always remember this. Remind him once a month about this adventure so he won't forget it as he grows older. This is a precious event.

WTG Dad

h2o

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Sorry but I laughed, great story too bad nobody had a camera.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Great story! Someday your boy will appreciate the effort you put in to let him try and do all the great things the outdoors have to offer.

Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I forgot to add my sort of fishing report. 7 Ft of water out front of Jimmy's canal. Dropped a blue and silver rapala tipped in front with a red anise bead.Dropped it to the bottom, saw one. Pulled it up to about 4ft depth and a whole school appeared. I think they wanted something smaller, but the bright color seemed to bring them in in a hurry. All the bigger perch seemed to be in the top half of the water column. Unfortunately thats all I have.

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
Treasure ALL the moments that you spend together! Kids grow up too darn fast, and before you know it, it's "Dad, can I barrow the car tonight? I have a date". Then you will think back to "the good ol' days" that you and your son spent together. Your Sunday may have been a lot of work and sacrifice on your part dad, but don't think for a minute that the day was wasted, 'cuz it sure wasn't.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts