Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where's a good place to get some 3/8 x 3" bronze carriage bolts? I went by Mikes and all they had were stainless. Since these are going into a bronze strut, I'd rather have bronze. I know the old Tom's place would have had them, but not sure any other good places to get these.

Also, anyone replace their own cutless bearings? Where did you get the new ones from? Any recommendation on getting the old ones out?

Thanks

·
Registered
310 Posts
McMaster Carr over the net is always good for misc hardware and other odd materials.

Locally I went to Darling Bolt on 10 mile for some large keel bolts that not too many stores would stock. They might have some bronze stuff for your application.

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
I have no idea, but can't help wonder, are bronze bolts strong enough?

Pretty sure mine are SS.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Silicon Bronze, are what was in there before... 6 of them. Since they are directly attached to a Bronze strut, I would be concerned about any type of corrosion with a different metal in an underwater situation.

The recommended torque for a 3/8" silicon bronze bolt is 18 lb-ft, for a similar stainless bolt it would be 20 lb-ft. Stainless is much more brittle though, and rather than bend or stretch (like mine did, stainless ones might have just snapped, giving me 6 3/8 inch water leaks into the bilge area in an area that i couldn't access until I pulled the water tank out.

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
QUOTE(KMC @ Aug 20 2009, 06:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Silicon Bronze, are what was in there before... 6 of them. Since they are directly attached to a Bronze strut, I would be concerned about any type of corrosion with a different metal in an underwater situation.

The recommended torque for a 3/8" silicon bronze bolt is 18 lb-ft, for a similar stainless bolt it would be 20 lb-ft. Stainless is much more brittle though, and rather than bend or stretch (like mine did, stainless ones might have just snapped, giving me 6 3/8 inch water leaks into the bilge area in an area that i couldn't access until I pulled the water tank out.
I was just tossing an idea out there. Looks like you've got it covered.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Try Marine Sales & Repair. Earl will have the bolts! His building is next to West Marine on South River Rd.
If you are removing your strut bearing without the proper tool....you can "cut" the bearing with a hack saw (blade inverted) and push the bearing out with a screw driver.
Have asafe and blessed weekend.
DON

1 - 9 of 9 Posts