Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fishing success from Metro Beach to St. Clair Shores has been sporadic this past week. I have seen few good catches during my survey work, with people telling me 'you should have been here yesterday". Sure guys, and we know that men lie to make themselves look good, too.

The best spot for large perch, in decent quantities, has been at the Coast Guard Station near 10 Mile Road. Wigglers are working the best. They don't get fish every day, but when they do, they are nice fish. Unfortunately, the ice has been recently broken up about 200 yards north and east of the station due to some construction work. Be careful when venturing onto the ice. The snow will cover this up and make it dangerous for the uninformed. Anglers can fish in the marinas to the south if they desire safer ice. Be sure to stay off marina property and on the ice.

The 11 Mile access site has produced mostly small fish during my visits. Today (2-22) was very slow and unproductive for most anglers. I saw a catch of 55 small perch, but all other catches seen before 4:30 pm were in the 5-10 fish range, with most anglers empty-handed.

Metro Beach showed some signs of life on Friday in the Basin. The fish caught were bigger than I have seen in the past couple of weeks with a couple of anglers with 20+ fish. The area east of the jet ski ramp on the lake was unproductive for most anglers. Fish caught on the lake have been nice size.

Finally, the mouth of the Clinton River spillway has been producing nice pike. I have seen two 11 pounders recently and had a report of a 44 incher taken a while back. Some perch are also being taken. Rumour has it that they are getting walleyes at night but I have not seen any since my late shift ends at 7:00 pm.

Sorry I can't be more positive. The best advice I can give is to just get out there and fish. Look for structure and weeds and keep moving. On angler also suggested being more patient with the large fish that seem to wsant to look at bait instead of eating it. He just keeps the bait still for 2-3 minutes. The bigger fish will often strike it after this wait. Hey, it's worth a try!

Don't forget you need new licenses as of April 1, 2003.

Good luck and stay safe and warm! See you at the ramps.

DNRJON

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Thanks for the information DNRJON. I can speak for a few guys that I am going to pass this on to when I say that. It's great to get a report that we can count on to be truthful.

Jim

·
Registered
76 Posts
Welcome and thanks for the reports.We fished Sat. at Island Harbor Marina(South of the CGS) and action was slooooow to say the least. 4 of us ended up with maybe a dozen perch but they were all over 8".with one going an honest 13 1/2". I think the storm front that moved in shut the fish off. Weather is supposed to stabilize over the next few days and fishing should improve. ><> AL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts