Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
LSCN Sponsor
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be in Florida for my fathers birthday this weekend and thought I would go see the space shutle launch Sunday early morning. I am looking for ideas from people who have been. All tickets from Nasa are sold out. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I've seen a bunch of launches live, including "Challenger"
Get as close to the causway to the Cape as they will allow (not sure what the
rules are these days).

My best advice would be to get on somebody's boat and watch it from offshore!

Absolutely spectacular, I saw a night launch from 3 miles offshore.
One of the most beautiful and amazing things I have ever seen (or felt).

You can actually see the launch from as far away as Jacksonville, but it looks more like a roman candle at that distance.
Get as close as you can to the coast, and within 4 miles or so you can usually "feel" it.
Have a GREAT trip!
gt

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
That is def a goal in my life - to see a launch.

Was in Clearwater 2 years ago and there was a launch the night we got there @ 2am. I didnt think you could see anything from that distance but it was in the paper the next day. I would have been up for 40 hours at that point anyway....

·
Registered
15 Posts
QUOTE(The Canvas Cover Man @ Feb 5 2010, 09:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am going to be in Florida for my fathers birthday this weekend and thought I would go see the space shutle launch Sunday early morning. I am looking for ideas from people who have been. All tickets from Nasa are sold out. Thanks.

I've been down to see several launches- go to Cocoa Beach to view. There is a fishing pier and beach area that provides an excellent view- I think about 5 miles from the Cape. Enjoy- it's a spectacular sight worth making the trip for.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
MSNBC has a story on the launch, including a map of the flight path and projected viewing areas. Apparently it will be a night launch, probably the last one, and large portions of the East Coast will see at least some of the flight.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35259167/ns/te..._science-space/

I was more excited, however, about the news of the discovery/recovery of some hundred-year-old Scotch from Antarctica left behind by the Shackleton expedition.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35259897/ns/te...cience-science/

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
Wow - I cannot believe we are that close to being able to see the MECO.

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
how was it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.