Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
AKA: Veronique
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Discussing space/time in astronomy class and our teacher describes it by saying that mass takes up space and time. Mass moving at higher speeds takes up the same amount of space in less time, therefore if you travel at the speed of light time will stop.

So I've been turning this over in my head for awhile now thinking maybe I'm just missing something and I've come to the conclusion that I completely disagree. Mass moving at high speeds takes up the same amount of space and the same amount of time, it's just in a DIFFERENT SPACE! Am I missing something here people?

·
LSCN Sponsor
6,427 Posts
QUOTE(Cassie @ Apr 5 2004, 10:27 PM)Discussing space/time in astronomy class and our teacher describes it by saying that mass takes up space and time. Mass moving at higher speeds takes up the same amount of space in less time, therefore if you travel at the speed of light time will stop.

So I've been turning this over in my head for awhile now thinking maybe I'm just missing something and I've come to the conclusion that I completely disagree. Mass moving at high speeds takes up the same amount of space and the same amount of time, it's just in a DIFFERENT SPACE! Am I missing something here people?

The theory is that time will seem to stop around you; or on the other hand, you will seem to age at an incredible rate to everyone else!

So, if the theory is correct, when you travel at high speeds you are gradually aging qucker than those around you. Right?

·
Registered
512 Posts
QUOTE(Cassie @ Apr 5 2004, 10:27 PM)So I've been turning this over in my head for awhile...
you should get with Hazy.... he seems to have some of these same type of "deep thoughts" running thru his head too ..

·
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So my neighbor comes over and I'm talking to him about this and he says to me that another theory of Einstien's is that at the time of the big bang there was no space and there was no time. His explanation was that everything in the universe was in one place (every atom of everything including gasses) Well my problem with that is that that is MATTER. There is no reason that space can't exist just because there is no matter to occupy it.

What I need to do is go read einstien's writings myself. Maybe if I understood exactly what it is that makes him come to these conclusions I would agree.

·
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(sidelite @ Apr 5 2004, 11:05 PM)QUOTE(Cassie @ Apr 5 2004, 10:27 PM) So I've been turning this over in my head for awhile...
you should get with Hazy.... he seems to have some of these same type of "deep thoughts" running thru his head too ..

lol why do you think I picked him?

·
Registered
380 Posts
I think you need to start thinking about things that matter.
I have taken a few moments to comprise a list for you of things that fall under this category.

1) Drinking
2) Going to the bar
3) Consuming alcohol
4) Getting drunk

Also you may want to remember eating, and sleeping.

·
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
670 Posts
QUOTE(INSTIGATOR @ Apr 5 2004, 10:32 PM)QUOTE(Cassie @ Apr 5 2004, 10:27 PM) Discussing space/time in astronomy class and our teacher describes it by saying that mass takes up space and time. Mass moving at higher speeds takes up the same amount of space in less time, therefore if you travel at the speed of light time will stop.

The theory is that time will seem to stop around you; or on the other hand, you will seem to age at an incredible rate to everyone else!

So, if the theory is correct, when you travel at high speeds you are gradually aging qucker than those around you. Right?
Actually, you'll age slower than everyone else. Please note that unless you're going to be a scientist, this topic is completely useless, with the possible exception of killing time on a message board.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
QUOTE(homebrew @ Apr 6 2004, 10:18 AM)Please note that unless you're going to be a scientist, this topic is completely useless, with the possible exception of killing time on a message board.
Yes, in most circumstances except for engineering things for space or small electronic device use. In those circumstances time and space matter very much.

But, yea, the sort of grasp that I had however long ago has gone to where just the idea of getting that deep in physics gives me a headache.

·
Sponsor Since 1/10
5,229 Posts
QUOTE(homebrew @ Apr 6 2004, 10:18 AM)[Mass moving at higher speeds takes up the same amount of space in less time, therefore if you travel at the speed of light time will stop.

I completely disagree.
Mass moving at high speeds takes up the same amount of space and the same amount of time, it's just in a DIFFERENT SPACE! Am I missing something here people?

Actually, you'll age slower than everyone else. Please note that unless you're going to be a scientist, this topic is completely useless, with the possible exception of killing time on a message board.
Homebrew is correct in the interpretation of the theory.

Cassie, your teacher tried to simplify the explanation, but used wording that confused you.

Try this:
Mass moving at high speeds takes up the same amount of space FOR less time.

In other words, it is in each space for a smaller amount of time before moving to the next space.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
and if you think this all trippy do a search for "string theory" or "unified string theory". Nova did a special on it a while ago, pretty cool stuff.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
QUOTE(HazyMemory @ Apr 6 2004, 10:32 AM)In those circumstances time and space matter very much.
I think what matters here is if there is going to be enough mass to fill the space and the more time it takes the better.

·
Sponsor Since 1/10
5,229 Posts
QUOTE(Shandog @ Apr 6 2004, 12:29 PM)
had waaaaaaaay too much nitrous oxide @ the dentist this morning to even be IN this thread...

So your time is continually spacey today, right?!?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Based on all pf this, if you are in your car and travel at the speed of light and turn on your headlights.... do they work?

·
Registered
380 Posts
QUOTE(Bassneck @ Apr 6 2004, 11:40 AM)Based on all pf this, if you are in your car and travel at the speed of light and turn on your headlights.... do they work?
They would turn on, but would not travel ahead of you but rather behind you..... like a light trail.....because you are traveling at the same speed as the light. In order for light to be cast infront of you, you must be traveling slower then the speed of light.

Got it?

·
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE(Ken Neeley @ Apr 6 2004, 09:39 AM)QUOTE(homebrew @ Apr 6 2004, 10:18 AM) [Mass moving at higher speeds takes up the same amount of space in less time, therefore if you travel at the speed of light time will stop.

I completely disagree.
Mass moving at high speeds takes up the same amount of space and the same amount of time, it's just in a DIFFERENT SPACE! Am I missing something here people?

Homebrew is correct in the interpretation of the theory.

Cassie, your teacher tried to simplify the explanation, but used wording that confused you.

Try this:
Mass moving at high speeds takes up the same amount of space FOR less time.

In other words, it is in each space for a smaller amount of time before moving to the next space.
Okay I can understand that but how does that translate into time stopping when you reach the speed of light?

Homebrew - I realize this is not useful per se but I can't stand not knowing things! If there is a theory out there that I don't understand, It will drive me nuts until I figure it out!

·
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE(Cadmonkey @ Apr 6 2004, 10:32 AM)and if you think this all trippy do a search for "string theory" or "unified string theory". Nova did a special on it a while ago, pretty cool stuff.
Thanks I'll do that

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
QUOTE(KezzerOne @ Apr 6 2004, 11:46 AM)QUOTE(Bassneck @ Apr 6 2004, 11:40 AM) Based on all pf this, if you are in your car and travel at the speed of light and turn on your headlights.... do they work?
They would turn on, but would not travel ahead of you but rather behind you..... like a light trail.....because you are traveling at the same speed as the light. In order for light to be cast infront of you, you must be traveling slower then the speed of light.

Got it?
hehehe let me mess with your head...

So if light are actually particles of matter(dont remember if they proved this or not) and if we make the car thing analagous to a train speeding along some railroad tracks, at 60 mph say, with me as a passenger why is it that when I run from the back of the boxcar to the front my speed, say its 5mph for instance, relative to the train is the same as if I was running outside on the ground unassisted (5mph on the ground also). Yet in the train while the train is moving and I'm running from the back to the front my speed becomes 65mph relative to the ground (60mph train+5mph fromme=65mph).

Now back to the car at the speed of light thing. If we pretend the particles of light are the same as me running in the train, why dont they(the light particles) speed ahead of the car? they have an added velocity when the lights are turned on relative to the car that is = to the [email protected] + [email protected], so the lights particles out of the headlights should be going 2x the speed of light, right?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts