Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Look at this picture.

what do you think about this? and how long do you think these were in an engine?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
look at the color of the hex portion... compare it to the shiny of the tops of them also...

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the plugs were not tight. they were removed with fingers.
they are a month old.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
QUOTE(JABBERJAWZ @ Aug 11 2003, 11:22 AM)Is it carbeurated? Looks like she's runnin a little rich. Normal wear plugs shouldn't be that dark.
I agree they should be more tan.

I think I would have a talk with your mechanic!!

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yep carbeurated.

possible engine damage from the lean condition caused by loose plugs.

on the bright side, mechanic is taking care of it.

·
Registered
530 Posts
could have a intake runner leaking to cause a lean condition on one cyl., but if the plug was that loose it's probably the only problem.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
how about 7 loose plugs.

nasty...

·
Registered
203 Posts
You've got a blown valve an a possible had gasket leak. All of it caused by detonation or incorrect timing, or WRONG HEAT RANGE PLUGS. Either way, start with a compression test, identifying the motor and proper plugs for it. Any knocking noises? Any rattling? especially at idle when you first start the engine, before oil has a chance to circulate? What engine? Cyls? Horses? Volume?

Andy

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
proper plugs for the engine. not proper when they are not screwed in tightly.

zero compression in 2 cylinders. pulled the head.. 2 tuliped valves.

Mercruiser 350 small block

·
12,052 Posts
Did you have a tune-up and your mechanic left them loose?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Hmm, Champion Plugs. Had the same problem over the weekend. I installed them and I know I put them in tight. Two of mine looked like the center one. All of them were loose on Monday when I removed them. I haven't done a compression test yet, but the engine seems to be running fine now. I dumped the champions and went to AC MR43T's. The champions were in for about 3 hours of running time. Maybe a little more but not much. That is what kept me from the skip day party. I won't be using champions ever again.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yes I had a mechanic do the tune up for me.
even though it never should have happened..
on the bright side..
they are taking care of the problems for me, little questions asked.

I don't know which I have a harder time believing..

1)that a Mechanic did not tighten 7 of them and did not connect a spark plug wire to one of them.

-or-

2) or that they worked themselves loose.

Spider, I would do a compression test. if your valves are damaged there is always the possibility that it could break and fall into the engine.. then you have a real mess.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Yep, you were right about the compression test. Cylinders 3 and 5, zero. All the rest are at 150. Thought I was going to be okay as I started on the starboard side, 2, 4, 6, 8. They all read fine. Then did 7, again, ok. Then the bad news started and went downhill from there. So, we are all done for the summer. Only a few good weekends left anyway and I am not gonna bust my butt trying to hurry and get it done and back in. I will have her pulled next week probably. Then I will do the work myself. She did 38MPH on 6 cylinders. Can't wait to see what she can do with 8 healthy ones. There is always next year.

·
12,052 Posts
sorry to hear about the bad luck. Good luck with the repairs.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts