Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at my witts end w/ my sister's cat Sparky that we some how have gotten stuck with. He is the cutest little cat looks like Morris BUTTTTTTTTTTTT he is peeing all over our carpets and furniture. We have no idea how old he is but I'd guess 13ish. Anyways, we are going to be getting new flooring and furniture and I just can't take it anymore......

Would you feel guilty/bad to put him asleep? No one will take him for obvious reasons. I am ready to do it tomorrow but just need to know we are doing the right thing?

What would you all do? I'm sure it's obvious but I am feeling so guilty. I've had to put one other cat asleep for the same reason. Animals they just drive me nuts some times!!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
TOO OLD TO TRY AND TRAIN NOW...I SAY FISH FOOD FOR THE POOR LITTLE CRITTER. I.E.SWIM WITH THE FISHES.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Sorry, it always [email protected] to have to put a pet down.

If the control problem is related to his age I don't think you have a choice.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
had to do same thing with my dog when she got older, couldnt hold it any more half the time , sucked but when they do it its just a shot and theanimal falls asleep doesnt jerk or show any pain just looks like there falling asleep...

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
There are health issues for you with a cat peeing all over the house.

My wife and I put our cat to sleep when she was going through chemo and the cat was doing the same thing you describe. I had to hold the cat while the doc used the needle on her because she was in a fighting mood. But no sooner did he start to depress the plunger than she was gone - it's that fast. So if you have to hold the cat, remember to keep your fingers the hell out of he way!

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
My friends old doggie did that so they crated him while they were at work and then would give him a bath when they got home. It got old and they had to put him down......Always hard to do, but you can't save a old pet from dying anymore than you can save a person. When it's your time that's it...........

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Okay, coming from a cat person the cat should be taken to the vet for an evaluation. It can't cost any more than $30.00. Cats can live up to 20 years. This cat could have a stomach condition. I would NOT put the cat to sleep until it has been evaluated by the vet.

One of three things can happen.

1. The vet could find something medically wrong with the cat and can cure the problem with one dose of medication. Problem solved.

2. The vet could find something medically wrong with the cat and it can't be cured but kept under control with medication. Problem solved, up to you.

3. The vet could find something terminally wrong with the cat and you can either let it pass peacefully in time until it is in too much pain or you can decide to end it's life right here.

I am sorry if this seems harsh, but I am the BIGGEST cat lover and animals are our friends. They depend on us to take care of them and make the best decisions for them.

Either way I think spending the money for the evaluation is worth it right now. Otherwise, if you didn't have an evaluation and just euthanized you would feel even guiltier. If you have to put the cat down because of medical reasons you can have peace of mind that it was for the best.

Good luck Jewels and if you have any questions or need a great recommendation for a GREAT vet for cats let me know.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well Sparky has a few more days.......I'm too hungover to deal w/ him today and Robyn was very sad to hear that I was going to take Sparky in. Maybe I'll take the time to take him in like Boss suggested.
I am an animal lover too but this cat is driving me crazy! Doesn't anybody want him???

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(jewels @ Sep 20 2003, 01:47 PM)I am an animal lover too but this cat is driving me crazy! Doesn't anybody want him???

Ooo, ooo! An older cat that pees all over the house! When can I come get him?

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
QUOTE(jewels @ Sep 20 2003, 12:47 PM)Well Sparky has a few more days.......I'm too hungover to deal w/ him today and Robyn was very sad to hear that I was going to take Sparky in. Maybe I'll take the time to take him in like Boss suggested.
I am an animal lover too but this cat is driving me crazy! Doesn't anybody want him???

I am so serious about what I said that I might come and kidnap him and take him in....

I know how animals can drive you crazy. Trust me.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Well said Boss. Jewels, your cat may just have a bladder infection.
Take it in to see the vet and if its not medical, they may have suggestions as to how you can remedy this situation.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(Boss @ Sep 20 2003, 06:53 PM)I know how animals can drive you crazy. Trust me.

And I know how wives can drive you crazy over animals.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTEI am so serious about what I said that I might come and kidnap him and take him in....

Hey Jill I'll give you the security code and you can come over any time!

Actually what pi$$es me off is that the darn cat isn't even mine thanks to my sister whom I love but reaaaaaallly it's her cat and she needs to deal w/ it I don't care if I don't work or whatever I've got things to do...

Anyways that's an ongoing argument... <_<

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
QUOTE(jewels @ Sep 21 2003, 12:35 PM)Hey Jill I'll give you the security code and you can come over any time!

Actually what pi$$es me off is that the darn cat isn't even mine thanks to my sister whom I love but reaaaaaallly it's her cat and she needs to deal w/ it I don't care if I don't work or whatever I've got things to do...

Anyways that's an ongoing argument...

So I have noticed!

If you seriously want the number for Anchor Bay Vet over here they truly are great at diagnosing cats. I will give it too you anways...586-725-8900. They are open 24/7 and have at least 6 doctors on hand at this time. They can also get animals in on short notice.

Hopefully, it is just a bladder infection and medicine will clear it all up. Although, if it is a bladder infection the sooner you get it in the better. It feels the same way for an animal as it does for a person. Ouch....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts