Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· LSCN Sponsor
2,036 Posts
To my knowledge, culling of dead fish IS NOT illegal. I have found nothing in the rules for FLW, Everstart, BFL, B.A.S.S., GNT, NBAA, and Oakland Bassmasters (I could not find the Federation rules) to say you can not cull a dead fish. Maybe I missed it and someone will correct me. Also, you should consult the rules for the tournament you are fishing, as they may not be the same.

I'm also sure (but will double check) that you will not find a position in the DNR handbook on culling (dead or alive).

· LSCN Sponsor
2,036 Posts
Hmmmmm, I missed that in the regs, but here is the exact wording. Let the debate begin.

Unlawful Activities
-----------------------

You May Not:

Deposit litter, fish offal, or any foreign matter, in any waters of the state or on any lands, private or public.

Definition of offal from Websters:
-----------------------------------------

Main Entry: of·fal
Pronunciation: 'o-f&l, 'ä-
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from of off + fall
1 : the waste or by-product of a process: as a : trimmings of a hide b : the by-products of milling used especially for stock feeds c : the viscera and trimmings of a butchered animal removed in dressing
2 : RUBBISH

· LSCN Sponsor
2,036 Posts
A clearer definition for us English impaired:

SYLLABICATION: of·fal
PRONUNCIATION: ôfl, fl
NOUN: 1. Waste parts, especially of a butchered animal. 2. Refuse; rubbish.

Also, I checked the Ontario and Ohio reg's and found nothing on releasing dead fish.

· LSCN Sponsor
2,036 Posts
QUOTE(DRP @ Mar 23 2004, 11:54 PM)In BASSMASTER events now, culling of dead fish is against the rules. In Ontario, the spoiling of fish is illegal, so if you throw a dead fish away, you are breaking the law.
I don't believe that is true. Unless I'm having trouble reading again (I did miss the "offal" in the Michigan regs). I do not see anywhere in the Bassmaster rules or Ontario regs that says you can not cull dead fish. Let me know where you see differently.

04' BASSMASTER/E50 Rules

04' Ontario Regs

· LSCN Sponsor
2,036 Posts
One thing I want to make clear. I'm mearly posting the facts presented in the tournament rules and State regulations, not making a judgement on culling dead fish. Don't mis-interpet my posts. For the record I've never culled a dead fish or been in the position to even make that decision.

· LSCN Sponsor
2,036 Posts
QUOTE(DRP @ Mar 24 2004, 01:08 AM)In Ontario, it is illegal to waste or 'spoil' a fish, or any game for that matter. It's in the regs book that you pick up at bait shops. When you cull out a dead fish, and throw it away, you are spoiling it. That is against the law. In the Bassmaster Opens last year, they made it clear that culling of dead fish was not allowed. I think it was announced in our event packages they mailed out. I know it's true because guys were talking about it at every event, complaining about it. At the last event, I was only catching about 7 bass a day, and I threw my first fish back because I hooked it too deep and it started to bleed. I was worried it would die, and I'd be stuck with it. My amatuer thought I was nuts, because it was a decent keeper.
I hear what you're saying DRP. But I've posted the links to the Ontario regs book and the B.A.S.S. rules and neither support what you are saying. Please post the reference material you have.

· LSCN Sponsor
2,036 Posts
QUOTE(Eric C. @ Mar 24 2004, 09:34 AM)I haven't had my coffee yet, does fish offal mean you can't cull a dead fish or you can't mutilate your fish? Its still not clear to me if you can or can't from these posts. I definately understand its a large moral dilemna for many, I just don't want to break any DNR laws.

Mini, what are the rules for the Federation tournaments?
That is the problem I see with the wording. I believe the intent of "offal" is meant to prohibit tossing fish scraps after filleting back into the water. I doubt they were thinking of tournament anglers or culling dead fish. Of course you can interpet offal to mean any fish waste, which could include a whole dead fish. But the definition of offal does not clearly state that. That is why I said "let the debate begin", in the earlier post.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.