Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Shimano Spirex 2000FD spinning reel that I purchased back in 2002. I have always taking care of it, let the drag loose when I stored it, and used it but a few times a year up until this past year when I started fishing quite frequnetly. A few weeks back it started making some slight grinding noise, so I opened it up and started checking it out. Inside the bail I found all types of pit/gouge marks in the metal that had never been there before. Any idea what might have caused this? I cleaned up the reel, re-lubed/greased it, and put on new line. I had it out yesterday on Kent Lake and it sounds the same, as well as doesn't act like it use to. I am not sure of what to do with it. Part of me wants to find a repair place and have them look at it, but part of me is wondering if it is time to replace it. If anyone knows of a good reel repair place, please let me know. I am also welcome to any imput as to whether or not I should replace it, and reconmondations of what to buy. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
The pitting can be caused from condensation that was inside the reel prior to storage. The grinding noise is more than likely the same result. The gears may have small pits inside of the toothed area. I say buy a new reel If you aren't using it that much get a cheap one if you are fishing a lot invest more.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I can't see putting money into repairing a $50 reel. Use the reel at next spring's reel trade-in at Bass Pro. A good reel in the same price range is a Pflueger President spinning reel; for about $60, its a good quality reel - I actually like it better than my $100 + Shimano reels.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
That's a cheap reel so you're better off buying a new one nstead of paying to have it repaired.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Been using spirex's for a long long time. Your's is 7+years old and most likely has 150,000 miles in years on her. It's worn out from time. Replace it and the new ones are awesome. So smooth. ect. ect.

Never leave them in the garage during winter. Store them in the house.

It's just time bro for a new one.

h2o

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.