Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been asking several people why the reel is mounted into a fixed feature in the tail of the rod and with a moving portion forward of the reel. I haven't heard a good answer yet. Doesn't this seem backwards? To balance the rod/reel, I typically fish with 3 fingers forward of the reel and they endup gripping the threads on the rod, not a smooth surface. If you mounted the reel in reverse, the threads may effect your pinky finger only. I saw a rod made in the 70's that was made with the reel mount reversed. On the handle, forward of the reel, it had 3 indentations in the cork for your fingers and felt great. I offered to buy the rod but it wasn't for sale. Does anyone else feel this way? Any comments?

·
Registered
234 Posts
My favorite steelhead spinning rod has a "Tennessee" handle and it works beautifully for balance and comfort. Wouldn't buy another type handle for that kind of fishing, I like it so well.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
My suggestion would be to only have two fingers forward, there designed for that. Put a thick piece of cloth around the threads if you can't ajust to the two finger technique. You could also wrap some cloth tape around the threads. Check a bunch of different rods. Check out some lightning rods see if there design will help you i think they will. Good luck comfort is a biggie.

h2o<---says adapt to the two fingers forward if you can.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Of All the things that enticed me to custom build my own rods was the fact that I was just not real comfortable with stock handles. I like different size handles/reelseats for different applications. I also have a couple of rods where i put the threads on the bottom of the rods. For example, My tube rods have small reel handles. For me i like smaller on finess applications. On my jerkbait spinning rods I use much larger reelseats. I just seems easier for me when i am ripping baits through the water. And with baitcasting I love exposed reelseats even on my musky rods. Well that is my 2 cents on this subject.

Gregg

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
It seems to me when I had spinning reel seats with the threads at the back end, the seat came loose possibly from the turning movement of my palm when I cast. I have one or two like that and I've taped them to stop them from spinning loose.

I tape the front ones if they bother my hand so they're smoother. It's hard to find the right combination of action and reel seat/handle sometimes. I go for action first because I can usually do something with the handle. I have used Tennessee handles before and really like them. I think I'll use some more in the future.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts