Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pound or more of ham left on the bone from a honey baked ham we ate over the holidays. I froze the remaining ham on the bone and vaccum sealed it. I am heading to the cottage for new years and would like to make some split pea soup out of it in the crock pot. Anyone have any tried and true recipes they would like to share? I prefer a heartier/thicker soup to the runny stuff with plenty of veggies.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I don't care for peas, but my daughter uses this this recipe she got from Allrecipes.com & they love it. She puts the ham bone in there, sometimes adds potatoes, always adds more pepper & doesn't add salt until the end, only if it needs it.

Ingredients:
16 ounces dried split peas, 2 cups diced fully cooked lean ham, 1 cup diced carrots, 1 medium onion, chopped, 2 garlic cloves, minced, 2 bay leaves, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, 5 cups boiling water, 1 cup hot milk

Directions: In a slow cooker, layer the first nine ingredients in order listed (do not stir). Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or until vegetables are tender. Stir in milk. Discard bay leaves before serving.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I did something similar to what is below, except instead of the water I had made a broth of the leftover ham bone....boiled it with carrots, onions, celery and bay leaves, and used it as my base and the rest of the ingredients minus the water. turned out AWESOME!!

QUOTE(Jazzy @ Dec 29 2009, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I don't care for peas, but my daughter uses this this recipe she got from Allrecipes.com & they love it. She puts the ham bone in there, sometimes adds potatoes, always adds more pepper & doesn't add salt until the end, only if it needs it.

Ingredients:
16 ounces dried split peas, 2 cups diced fully cooked lean ham, 1 cup diced carrots, 1 medium onion, chopped, 2 garlic cloves, minced, 2 bay leaves, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, 5 cups boiling water, 1 cup hot milk

Directions: In a slow cooker, layer the first nine ingredients in order listed (do not stir). Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or until vegetables are tender. Stir in milk. Discard bay leaves before serving.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
QUOTE(Trixie923 @ Jan 1 2010, 11:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I did something similar to what is below, except instead of the water I had made a broth of the leftover ham bone....boiled it with carrots, onions, celery and bay leaves, and used it as my base and the rest of the ingredients minus the water. turned out AWESOME!!

QUOTE(Jazzy @ Dec 29 2009, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I don't care for peas, but my daughter uses this this recipe she got from Allrecipes.com & they love it. She puts the ham bone in there, sometimes adds potatoes, always adds more pepper & doesn't add salt until the end, only if it needs it.

Ingredients:

That sounds much better! I would hesitate to put the ham bone in, I don't like the fat, etc floaties in my soup.

That's how I make my chicken soup, I put the chicken, onions, garlic, carrots, celery, etc in the pot without even chopping them, I do cut the bigger items in 1/2. I simmer it a long time, then strain everything out except the broth. Then I start over with just the broth, fresh chopped carrots & celery. I add the chopped chicken at the end. Wish I had some chicken, today is a great day for hot soup!

·
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(Jazzy @ Dec 29 2009, 12:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I don't care for peas, but my daughter uses this this recipe she got from Allrecipes.com & they love it. She puts the ham bone in there, sometimes adds potatoes, always adds more pepper & doesn't add salt until the end, only if it needs it.

Ingredients:

Well I made this as planned but before reading some of the other replies about using the bone to make broth instead of using straight water. I prepared the soup as described with the adition of the bone. When it was done I removed the bone of course. Soup was excellent! Personally I would triple the garlic and black pepper but other than that it was perfect. Very thick consistancy which is what I was after. If you want it thinner you could always add more milk at the end but I liked the chowdery nature of it. Definitely stuck to the ribs and filled ya up. The family enjoyed it as well and the leftovers made great baby food for my youngest, minus all the chunks of meat and veggies of course. Thanks for helping me out with this one!

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
I made this one last week, Jazzy....I am the only one that likes it
No split pea fans at my house. Next time I'm skipping the ham and bone and using low sodium chicken broth to keep it vegetarian.

p.s. I'd use 4-4/12 cups of the hot liquid, 5 was too much and I had to uncover and cook it down a bit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts