Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is easy to over-look, but check the inside edge of your spools to see if there's a residue build up and i bet there is, that will slow down the line coming off on the cast. So just use some dish soap on a cotton towel and clean it make sure it's rinsed off with warm water and inspect to make sure you got it all. If not repeat step one. Check them NOW!!!! lol..

h2o<---says easy to do and very important.

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Also check for any imperfections on the outer rim of your spool, no matter how small. These can nick your line and can cause line failure at the most inopportune time.

I use WD40 to clean my reels and just about all my gear for that matter.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I would also recommend cleaning the drag (felt, washers, etc.) and make sure they are greased up with a good grease (I use shimano drag grease on my Stradics). I'm surprised with the number of guys who will go through all the trouble to disassemble, clean and lube a reel, only to leave the spool untouched...tisk tisk...

·
Registered
666 Posts
You know, I used to tear down every real that I had over the winter and clean them up for the next year. In the last 10 years I have not touched one of them. And I have not had a single problem (knock on wood). Is it really worth the effort? I have to question it based on my experience.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
If it's not broke don't fix it. But the better you maintain anything the better it works,I found out. But by all means do what works. Maybe if you give it a little oil or maintence you'll see that they will work better. 10 yrs. is a good record. So keep on doing what works. I for one maintain my reels as suggested by the manufacturer. But that's me.

h2o<---says good one boatnfish

1 - 5 of 5 Posts