Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize that H2O is always sharing so generously his thoughts, ideas and knowledge that he may have covered this already but just in case he hasn't I want to share this idea that I came up with.

As we know, when spooling our spinning reels with the new super lines we need to back it up with mono to prevent it from slipping on the spool. We also know that the super line is so stable that it does not age or break down as mono does. We also know that when we spool it we only need to put on as much as we need to cover the active length of line needed for the kind of fishing we will be doing with the reel plus some percentage of extra as we feel comfortable with.

Today I loaded my walleye vertical jigging reels with 6# Fireline and I figured I needed no more than 100 feet of it to do the job with plenty of line to spare. I got the 300 yard spool figuring I have a few other uses for it on other reels. Being a retired engineer I couldn't stand just cranking and estimating so I had to come up with a method of being somewhat close to knowing how much line I was putting on my reels. I measured the distance around the line on the new spool and it came out to be around 12 1/4 inches. That made it very easy to figure out how many wraps of line I needed to take off the new spool (98) to get the length loaded on my reel that I wanted. If using a different size spool, just measure the inches around the spooled line. Figure out how feet you want to load on your reel and convert the feet to inches and divide those inches the by the inches around new spool. This will give you the total unwraps needed off the new line spool to fill your reel as desired. I hope this made some sense and saves you some money when loading new lines.

Jim

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Old Man of the Sea,
1. Your post will probably hurt some of the guys on this site. Maybe a warning label would be appropriate.

2. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for ensuring once again (like Scott Adams) that engineers are even bigger nerds than computer nerds (like me). Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!

Now please, work out a method for how I measure how much mono I should strip off every time I respool mono or Vanish. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dan, knowing how nice a guy you are I will take that as a compliment.

On the mono and Vanish, the first time I would probably just reverse the lines. The stuff on the inside is probably as good as the day it was loaded seeing as that it wasn't exposed to the sun. When loading fresh line, try using a line counter reel if you have one or can borrow one. Just peel off what you want to take off your reel measured on the line counter then use my other method to load the amount of new line desired. I thought about using the line counter for fresh loading measuring but I didn't want to screw around worrying about line twist.

I hope this helps,

Jim

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Old Man of The Sea:

Thank you for the kind words i mean that.

When i spool my spinning reels up and this is true i fill them so full it almost just falls off the reel, i know its rediculous to do that but i tell you i can send them. They say fill spools within 1/8 inch of the rim of the spool, but i pack it on. I'm just careful when i cast and really don't have any problems. I use alot of mono to start the filling motion. And after about 5-6 times fishing and i mean pounding it all day, i strip the line off the spool and reverse it and crank it back up on the spool. I don't advise everyone to do this as you can wind up with a giant birds nest, but i'm just careful when i cast and i tell you when i cast it's out there a country mile. lol

Old Man of The Sea thanks for the vote of confidence.

h2o<----lives for fireline

·
Registered
188 Posts
Wow, I really do have a lot to learn. So most of you guys usually fill part of your baitcast and spinning reels with mono and then tie on a different line that you want to use (fireline, braid, fluoro etc...) to the mono already on there? Each time you want to change you just strip off the current line down to the mono and repeat?

Do you do the same for regular mono on a spinning and baitcast reel? If some of your line looks old/fraid, just strip off say half of it and then tie to the existing mono and add more until it's full?

I always just completely fill the spools with whatever line I'm using and then completely remove the line and add all new as needed. I guess I'm am very naive with that. Is that why I'm spending a fortune on line? So much to learn.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
H2o,

You are welcome. I think a lot of us appreciate the information that you add to the site. Please keep it up.

I am one of those that have kept to the 1/8th rule. I don't know why, I just always have. When casting I always keep my index finger close to the spool when casting so that I can control the line. But I think I will try your idea especially with Fireline which seems to lay on the spool so well.

Jim

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Basschaser + Old Man of the Sea: You can fill your reels with line as filler and get twice the bang for the buck. Depending on the reel of course. We all know unless you have a giant monster on and get spooled completely we never use half the line on our spools right. So lets say the spool holds 170 yds. of 6lb line ( that's 510 feet ). Most people cast 100 feet and i'm being generous there, there's 410 feet still on the reel now say you get smashed way out there and the runs 100 feet you still have 310 feet left. A medium spool lets say holds 120 yds. of 8lb. that's 360 feet. Now lets say that same medium spool holds 100 yds. of 10 lb. that's 300 feet. So when i do my normal casting on Clair i ususally have about 1/3 of my spool full of what i call backing, than goes on my primary line. After i feel i've put the line to it's limit i just take it off and reverse it and spool it back on. I DON'T ADVISE THIS if your going for real big fish as you never want to be spooled to that point of backing vs. primary line. Example when i cast for Salmon I have very little backing and mostly primary line. They can tear off 200 feet in no time. Also when trolling it's good to not have to much backing on also as that technique can run off alot of line also. So know when you can get away with 1/3 backing and you'll save some $'s on buying line. When i connect the backing to the primary line i just put the two lines together and use a simple half hitch knot pull it tight, than clip the tag ends as low as possible so they don't stick out and hinder the cast. When your getting spooled and you think your near the end of the primary line fire the boat up and go get more line as you wind. Which hardly ever happens So figure out spool capacity and amount of line on new spool in the box and try and get two fills on a purchase. If your short you can always take the line off in the back yard or where ever and add more backing and wind from there. You'll have it down in no time. Please ask any question, i will help if i can.

h2o<---been doing that for decades

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Every time I go to a fishing show or the late fall/winter closeouts, I look for those cheap, no-name bulk spools of 8 to 20 pounds test line at the less than $5 bucks per big spool price and buy several. That's what I use for backing on all my reels matching the approximate size I expect to use on each spool.

Works great for most fish in Michigan. Tie a good knot between the two lines like the blood knot for lines of similar size and type, or a double uni-knot for Fireline/braid to mono/flouro and you should be okay on those rare (and lucky) instances when a fish pulls out that much line.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm like you Dan. I use the uni knot. I've used it for tying fireline to mono, fluorocarbon to fireline, fluorocarbon to mono, and mono to fusion. I've found that this knot when tied correctly will still go through the guides ok without hanging up, and it gives me acceptable strength.
This method is not as strong as pure fireline would be, but it is a whole lot cheaper.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts