Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received the spring fishing catalog for Cabelas and am a little disappointed. They only have 5 pages of fishing lures????

To compare: Bass Pro Shops has 94 pages of different lures.

Don't you think this is a big mistake on Cabelas Part?

·
Registered
397 Posts
By comparison, look at Cabela's hunting / Camping gear compared to that of BPS. You'll find it's about the same ratio.

I have always considered Cabela's the better source for hunting and outdoors while BPS dominates the fishing market. It all goes back the stores roots and were they started from.

Each store focuses there marketing and advertising dollars on what they do best.

·
Registered
927 Posts
this is true.

as a fisherman, i am not a big fan of cabelas, nor are many other of my fishing pals.

on the flip side, all my friends who hunt would rather go to cabelas or look through a cabelas catalog.

so you see, they are the same...........but different

madman himself

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
There both targeting a different demographic. BPS = anglers and Cabelas = hunters. I think they realize they can't beat one another at their game. I just got the BPS cataloge the other day. Larger then ever. Haven't cracked it open yet though.

·
Registered
188 Posts
B.P.S has always focused on fishing while Cabelas has always focused on Hunting. The complaint I have is, in the new B.P.S catalog they include saltwater fishing as well as fly fishing and some camping/automotive stuff also. I don't understand why B.P.S can't just put out fishing catalogs for each category. Put the saltwater fishing in another catalog and put the fly fishing in another catalog and put the camping in another catalog and put the automotive in another catalog. It doesn't make sense. This new B.P.S catalog is over an 1" thick, it's almost not even worth viewing because it's such a pain in the butt to flip through. I don't understand why they don't just make catalogs specific for one sport.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I recieved both my catalogs as well, and have to add that the Bass Pro catalog is the master while the Cabelas is the spring sale catalog. You`ll find that Cabelas master catalog is a biggie too. Both seem to be priced the same on fishing stuff so I just go to Bass Pro because it`s closer and for Bass Pro`s outdoor rewards club.

·
Registered
927 Posts
alex,

the new bps is an excellent read. i think you will find once you pick it up you wont want to put it down. i call the bps master catalogs "my bible". i keep one at work and one at home, this way i can always reference no matter where im at.

basschaser,

bps as well as cabelas do have sperate catalogs for each different catagory. you can call 1800basspro to order catalogs for just hunting, or just clothing, or saltwater fishing, and so on. however, the master catalog is just that, its everything in one great package. they are free, so i usually order all the fishing and marine mini catalogs also.

madman himself

·
Registered
397 Posts
Alex,

I cracked mine open already. My first thought was "Wow, this feels heavier this year". I was a little disappointed because the extra thickness comes from more Salt Water gear, BassMasters brand stuff,extra pages of water skis and other apparatus on which to be dragged behind a boat, 4-wheeler & truck accessories,etc.....

Other than a few cool new products, the fishing stuff is basically the same. All the extra bulk is pretty much "non-fishing" stuff.

One new thing that I'm going to check out is the Woo Daves signature line of Extreme Rods. They've expanded the line of "Technique Specific" rods. I think they now have a 6'8" (or something like that) drop-shot rod. $99.99 vs. $245 for a G-Loomis, I think I'll give the Extreme a try. And as always, the Extreme's are still "Buy 2 get one FREE". You can't argue with FREE....LOL

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
QUOTE(madman24 @ Jan 8 2004, 09:53 AM)alex,

the new bps is an excellent read.
I here you. I usually end up with more than one somehow. Which is perfect. I keep them scattered throughout the house (you can guess the usual places) so it is always at my finger tips when in need. lol

Like I said I haven't even cracked mine yet but can understand why putting the salt water and fly fishing gear in the same cataloge can be annoying. But keep in mind it is the "master" catalog. Also, this doesn't bother me so much. I like to thumb through those sections and every once in a while I will find something that catches my eye that can be usefull for the type of fishing you and I do. In some ways the salt water and fly fishing guys are a little more advanced then we are (pains me to say that). Doesn't hurt to look through it for some odd items that could be of use.

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
QUOTE(East Coast @ Jan 8 2004, 01:34 PM)truck accessories,etc.....
Hey, don't knock the truck accessories. That truck bed tent is pretty cool eh? I may know someone on this board that sells those.....

·
Registered
357 Posts
I agree that BPS caters to fishing while Cabelas carries more hunting and camping gear. The thing that bothers me about Cabelas is that I've noticed a big change in the fishing lures that are carrying the last year or two. They have dropped a lot of the quality name brand baits and tried to duplicate them with there own Cabela's brand. Personally I think a lot of their own brand baits are kind of corny looking and of poor quality. I ordered a few of the Cabela plastics and was so disapointed with them that I sent them back. Last November I had to visit a customer in Adrian which took me directly past Cabela's. I took $200 with me for a little Daddy shopping spree. After about an hour I walked out after spending only $1.10, ON A COKE!!! I guarantee that if I would have stopped at BPS I would have spent the whole bundle and probably pulled out the plastic.

BPS is where it's at for fishing!!

·
Registered
467 Posts
I hear you Workingman! When I walk into BPS, I can hear the voices..."Buy me Jeff! Buy me!" I don't think I've EVER walked out of the Auburn Hills Store without dropping a couple bills. It's a sickness...I swear I need therapy! While I do love BPS, my neighbor absolutely LOVES Cabelas, and I always end up tagging along when he goes. I don't drop a ton of cash, but I always feel obligated to buy something...a bag of tubes, some line, some jig heads...it never fails! I almost feel like a failure if I walk out of either store without something my wife will frown upon!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I hear you jcheetam. It sure if a sickness. I know that owning several copies of every lure on market is not going to make me a better angular, but I just can't help it. When I got the new BPS catalog I didn't move off the couch for a couple hours!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts