Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first (real) spring fishing season as a boat owner. I have been out twice April 17th and 24th. Both times I fished everywhere I could think of for pike. The first time I started at Selfridge, then moved to the Salt River, then to Northern Anchor Bay, then to the North Channel. The second time I went south from Selfridge to the Clinton River, to Metro, to the spillway, to the Strawberry light to Goose bay, up the channel to the North channel. In both cases we were out for more than 5 hours and threw everything from bucktails to crank baits to top waters to soft plastics. We fished from 2 feet (even ran aground) to 13 feet. Both times we only had one fish the entire day.

I am planning on going out again this Saturday, and I want more than just one fish. Any help on what we should be doing better?

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Try the Sni behind Strawberry Island on the left side going up. You should run into fish. There are a lot of Muskie in there also so make sure to get them in fast and turn them loose. Bob

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
gotanewboat---------This formula will work!

1. Liteline--4lb. (preferably smoke fireline)
2. # 2 & 3 mepps silver aglia (preferably rainbow color)
3. 1/16 oz or 1/8 oz round ball head jig tied direct
and married with a berkley powergrub 3 in. white or pearl & white, chartruse, shad, pumpkin, just a plain jig not painted but painted will do.

Ok now location: the two bays north of the clinton river west side of clair in 2-6 feet produce alot of fish this time of year drift till you catch one anchor and pick the area clean. Repeat when action slows.

Please give a report on this formula, would be interested in hearing how you do. I catch alot this way.

h2o<---says follow the formula or it won't work like it should, don't deviate from it every step, is important or risk failure. lol

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
h20, from reading your post, I expected it to end "This post will explode in 30 seconds!"

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
You mean it doesn't??

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
I got to stop giving secret's. lol Now i can't find any of the stuff i use.

h2o<---helps 2 much and is now fired

·
Registered
234 Posts
Congrats on your new boat and choice of lake!

Although I don't have near the experience of the other posters, I think that finding pike in the spring involves three things: clearer water, warmer water, and shallow water. If you find all three in one area, you will probably be on or near fish. Good pike spots like out the Spillway in the spring are notorious for muddying up from rains and wind.

Before the recent low water, spring pike fishing was pretty reliable in places like Muscamoot and Fisher Bays. Now you risk a good grounding trying to fish there. Be careful going up the Sni if you're new to it, the cuts can be too shallow going.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
The cuts are up a little Mike. Just go slow and you should have no problem. Go get them new boat. Mike Email me please I need you Email address I want to send you a photo. Bob

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Havent been out on clair alot lately but I used to do really well with spinnerbaits in Muscamoot this time of year.

Good luck and keep chunkin and winding, you will find em!

Mini

1 - 10 of 10 Posts