Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know the best spots for perch in the spring? when i was a kid my dad and uncle would take me to the clinton and we'd fish from docks. did pretty well. wondering if that is still a good spot, and if there are any others. we have already started work on getting the boat ready, and plan to be out in the next 2 weeks if the weather holds.....

·
Registered
241 Posts
The Coast Guard Station on Blossom Heath at 10 mile and Jefferson is usually real good after the ice blows out. Went by last night and almost all of it was gone. Strange being out there Sunday and now there is no ice where I just had my shanty.

·
Registered
75 Posts
where arethe docks you are referring to?
their was a nice steelhead caught in conger bay last week
28" 10-12# on a 4# test fishing for perch

·
Registered
74 Posts
i have no idea where the docks were exactly, only that it was on the clinton. my memory has faded a bit over the 20 years or so since we fished it. hopefully my dad remembers. i will give him a call to find out.

fish tremble.... @ blossom heath, do you find em in the beach area, or on the lake itself?

·
Registered
241 Posts
The best spot I have found has been off of the pier into the lake itself using a perch rig with a quarter ounce weight at the bottom. Haven't tried the beach area so cannot be much help there. I try to cast in front of the Coast Guard Station out in front of the docking posts about 30 yards.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The week to 10 days after iceout is good for perch at Metro in Black Creek but it is pretty short lived. The mouth of the Clinton is pretty good for at least 3 weeks...Could be longer with the early spring we are getting this year. And for some reason, its a worm bite for the most part. I'll be trying somewhere Sunday where its not too muddy...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Connor4501
Where and how do do get to an area where you can fish the mouth of the Clinton??? Do you need a boat?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do you think the persh will be there this early or do you think we will have to wait for some warmer rains to warm the water a little?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I would think the perch should be in at Harley-Ensign seeing how they were just getting them there when the ice was in. Plus you have a fair shot at some walleye casting from the point.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i went up to tha mouth this morning to walk the dog. no more ice, although a few guys were still on buckets farther inland on the canals. also, there was actually a boat that had launched. a couple guys were fishin but i didn't see em catch anything. the clinton was really muddy, and the mud line extended out into the lake. i doubt if anyone will do especially well there until it cleans up some. looks like its gonna be at least another 5 days.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Haven't heard any reports, but the the perch and even some walleye should be hitting at the mouth of the Clinton and the spillway between the bridge and the edge of the lake. They usually hit heavy when the ice is out, and lasts a few weeks. Good luck

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Just remember regulations are different on the clinton than St.Clair. Just so you know. Just trying to help.

h2o<--- make sure season is open if you keep walleye

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i went to the mouth of the clinton last week, thursday. beautiful weather, no wind, clean water........no fish.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Still early...Talked to the DNR man at the access, said the water temp was 35. Once that hits 40-42, it should be good there. Some of the marinas up the river a little are producing some fish out of the current...That might be your best bet until the water warms some...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts