Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First ride out this year on the Laguna yesterday, went up to Deckers then turned around headed up toward Sassys to check out a house we were gona buy last year on one of the canals by Sassys to see if it sold, so I was backing off the throttle as i made a wide turn into the canal, when we got closer i was getting worried when we werent slowng down all the way off plane, finally we were getting closer and closer into the canal and the throttle felt really stiff and we werent slowing down all the way yet, so i pushed the throttle as far as i could with out shifting into neutral and we still werent slowing down so i shifted to neutral and it slowed right away but not with out going kabOOm, but the prop was still pushing us forward at a good rate not on lane, so i shifted back in forward and heard anther kabOOm and then the shaft started free spinning so I thought we lost the prop, we were ni the canal by this time so when the shaft was free spinningi shited back into neutral just fine, but then shaft was still free spinning and winding...so i let the wind push us and steered us toward the sea wall and tied up there, it was tough with the wind blowing, right before the storm hit. I lifted the outboard and the prop was there and as i was assessing the problem and man came out and saif the prop is still there sound slike you spun a hub coming in, but if we spun a hub would it still be free spinning even in neutral? and what explains the rough loud shifts?

any ideas let me know, we didnt get a chance to check or tighten the prop or take it off because the storm was coming but let me know what you think, its kind of a bummer first ride out and this happens, but everything seemed fine before we left the slip, i noticed it revving kind of high when i first started it up to warm theengine, but i figured it was just a cold engine and sometimes the tach sticks...and it was idling really rough but i figured it was just spark plugs...so any ideas let me know, were gona have to go out there and tow the boat back somtime this week

·
Registered
141 Posts
Could be the spider gear in the outdrive. When they start to go you can get a clunking noise at first. Then when they do finally go the engine would rev but the prop would not turn. Then again if your lucky it will only be the prop hub.

G

·
It doesn't sound like a spun hub. A prop with a spun hub will usually be fine at idle, but then slip when getting on plane or running at higher speeds. I had one once and it would only slip when I hit about 3500 rpm, then the engine would rev to 4500-5000 without picking up any speed. Anyway, that would just be at the prop, and wouldn't make any clunking noises.

I'm not sure what you mean by the shaft free spinning. I'd expect the problem is in the drive gears or shifting mechanism, based on the loud shifting. With the high idle, the shifting may have damaged some gears. Just a guess since I'm not really familiar with outboards.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
by the shaft free spinning i mean that the shaft is spinning, but the prop is...

the spider gear thing seems logical to me, my second guess after the spun hub was we trashed a gear, and it made a loud clunking noise then the prop quit spinning, even when i shifted back to nuettral though the shaft was still spinning, revving high and the prop wasnt, like it was stuck in gear but the prop wasnt spinning but the shaft was....does that make sense what im trying to say?

thanks....if it is the spider gear...is that hard to fix? and is it expensive, its an old merc outboard, 135 horse, id say an '89 probably

·
Registered
141 Posts
I would take it to a repair shop to get it checked out for sure. If it was a gear they should recommend that you also replace your bearings. If there are any metal shavings in the housing they can do more damage so you really need to tear it down and inspect it.
It's always better to bullet and pay to get it right the first time.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Sounds to me by the hard shifting and bad throttle response that your shift cables are bad, hopefully when you did finally get it out og gear you didn't hurt the lower in the process. Lynn over at Vicious Marine is a top notch outboard guy, you might want to contact him and see what he thinks.
586 598 4077

·
Registered
230 Posts
Kind of sounds like two problems. If your shaft is spinning and the prop is not, then the splines are worn (or possibly broke if you heard a loud noise). That is the only way the shaft can spin and not the prop. If it is still spinning in neutral, then something is wrong in the shifting mechanism (probably in the outdrive). Is reverse working? The splines on the prop and shaft are very easy to inspect. There are three tabs a large nut holding the prop on. Take it off and inspect it. The shifting problem can be much more involved. If the splines are worn, I would guess the two problems are not related. If something is broke, I would guess they are related. You sound sure that the prop shaft is spinning and not the prop, so i would start by pulling the prop off and inspecting it, then go from there. It is very possible a gear snapped or something, causing the shifting problem. But for the prop shaft to free spin, the splines are damaged to the shaft and/or prop. Good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts