Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Squirrel season starts on Monday. Any squirrel hunters out there? What does everyone out there hunt with? Shotgun or .22? I know its not deer hunting but it is better than sitting on the couch. I can not wait to get out in the woods.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I like to carry my .410, but the shells are hard to find and usually twice as much as 12 or 20 g. I usually go with the .22.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use a Ruger 10/22 but I want to get a .22 pistol this year. That will make it a real challenge on them little critters. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
790 Posts
I like to use my S&W .22 revolver. It takes a steady hand but it is very easy to lug around the woods. I have been seeing lots of squirrels at my property in Midland County and I plan on killing (not harvesting) a few for dinners during deer camp.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i'll use my 16 gauge as long as the foliage is thick.....then i switch over to my .22 rifle.

as far as it not being deer hunting.....well, i use it as a means of scouting my deer hunting areas. it worked very well for me last year.....ended up harvesting a 7-pointer and a very respectable 8-pointer.......both during bow season......both on public land in southern mi......both shots under 10 yards.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tried to take my 2 sons squirrel hunting opening morning. Got about half way to our hunting spot and blew a fuel line which blew the whole day. Now we have to wait for Saturday. It was hard enough talking the old lady to let the boys take one day off from school and me from work.

·
Registered
83 Posts
jstfish,

How do you get 10 yrd shots? Tree? Ground? Scent control clothes? Enclosed blind?

I have had them in that close before, but only on rare occations.

I hear of people getting them so close, but not sure of the tactics to use.

Thanks for any advice you could give.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
I'm hoping to pop a few limb rats and grouse this weekend. I use either my 12 ga. or my Savage 22mag for the limb rats.

Any have any good limb rat recipies???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts