Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I plan on fishing the St. Clair River this upcoming May in a tournament and am new to this fishery. I have fished the Detroit River and am very familiar with the various techniques involved and locations. I would appreciate any posts as to techniques, tips, locations or anything else related to the St. Clair River system. I plan on fishing during the day and not evening. I have heard that the River can be an excellent fishery after dark. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Okay all you walleye guys,...help the brutha out!!! LOL I only walleye fish when it's easy and that's during the spawning run, which is a month earlier than when you'll be fishing!! All I can offer is you better have a bunch of 1/2, 3/8 and maybe some 3/4 oz. jigs and twister tails in a variety of sizes and colors. Also straight tailed 4" worms work good (brown!!)......there are a bunch of walleye guru's on the board and DRP guides, so he'll chime in and help you out too. You'll need some good 6ft- 6 1/2ft fast action spinning and b'csting equipment and 6-10lb line.
Vertical jigging is a dynamite presentation, but there's a lot of tricks to doing it right.........DRP will get you on the right track.......take it away Jon!! LOL (Jon Bondy(DRP) is his name,...whackin' toads is his game!!)

Mac

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
I assume he is talking walleye in the river.....

There are many specialized local techniques, all of which I dont really know that much about.

Chugging, Whipping, handlining, trolling, wire lining...etc.

I am sure you will get some responses here (at least I hope so!)

Mini

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Vertical jigging I am familiar with, but the river trolling, whipping and alike I am not. I have also heard that the run occurs a bit later on the St. Clair as compared to the Detroit river system. If this is true, there may still be a very active bite during May.

Thanks and any other input would be appreciated.

Tim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts