Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vacation time finnally coming!!

My wife and I are planning to sail to Saint Clair next week, and spend a day or so there for the heck of it. This would be our biggest adventure on the boat yet. We know the harbor master there and figured its close eneogh for our first trip out of LSC.

Just wondering if anyone has done this recently?
How much will the current effect us?
Will the motor be absolutely neccessary?

Your answers all spring have been extremely helpful. Thanks again.

Jeff

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm actually planning to make this trip myself next weekend. Are you staying at the St. Clair Harbor? Let me know how it goes.

I've never made the trip up the St. Clair but from my experiences on the Detroit River, I seem to always have to motor. Naturally wind direction plays a big role and the Detroit River just seems to always funnel wind right onto your bow! I don't know if the St. Clair is like that.

I DO know that the St. Clair has a much larger current than the Detroit. They say that it is about 1kt in the flats and increases up to 4kts at Port Huron. I would count on experiencing 2-3kts up from Algonac to St. Clair (although I don't know for sure).

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great info,, Thanks again Star!

Yes we will be at the St. Clair Boat Harbor. Avery and his crew said there is always room during the week. Not sure about the weekend.

We'll be back on Friday, Ill post how the trip went.

Jeff

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
great article Joyce,,,

that was exactly our experience in St. Clair.

The Harbor was a good achorage, the park on the riverfront was beautiful, and kept as well as they say. (My wife still wants one of those hanging plants along the street). We stopped for a dring at the Voyaguer, a great window to the River.

The sail up river as good, we had a strong wind at our back making up for the current. In our 26' Clipper, we made 5-6 mph with our 150 genoa and main, and the 9 horse outboard.

No wind on the down river sail today. we motored the whole way

All in all, our fist overnight trip was a success. Although we, of course, would like a bigger boat for this type of adventure.

Thanks to all for your advice and help.

jeff and cathy

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PS:

The bridge opens on the hour and the half hour.

However you must get the attention of the caretaker(our VHF was not working) or he will not open and makes like he doesnt see or cant figure out that you want thu.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well...just got back from St. Clair myself last night. It really is a nice little town and the harbor is one of the better ones I've been to. They screwed up our slip reservation and had to put us on the seawall in a private well but it was nice and private.

I was able to sail all of the way up until the curve around algonac and then I was taking too much on the nose and had to start the iron jenny. On the way down we sailed in gusty conditions on the way down and once again took the wind on the nose after the Algonac curve. We took the North Channel back and ventured down the Chenal Bout Rond to the Baltimore Hy and anchored for a few hours to enjoy the beautiful day and then sailed all the way home.

I had no problems with the bridge however. Both times we just waited (with other boats) and the bridge opened on schedule.

Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts