Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lake St. Clair 04-17-21

What a joy it is to fish St. Clair when youcan. Jim and I totally missed it last year due to Covid situation thatwas just starting in the spring of 2020. This year we were determined tomake it there one way or another. We kept looking at weather forecastsfor the weekends and trying to get one good one in. This Saturday wasideal. Winds light in the morning out of the north and northwest. It switched to the southeast around 1 pm. We arrived at the ramp andthere were lot of kayakers already gathering there. Apparently, there wassome huge kayak tournament on St. Clair Saturday. We saw what seemed like100 plus kayaks out there. The mile roads were packed with bass boatsfishing for smallmouth. The water surface temperature as ranging from 47to 49 degrees in the places we fished. Water clarity varied from 3 to 4feet of visibility to gin clear in one area.
Jim and I decided to start on an area that we haddone well in the past catching big fish. It was never a quantity area,but you would catch a few and they would be really big. We worked thatover for the first 1 ½ hours. We caught 3, but there were all 2 lb.bucks. We decided to hit a couple other areas that were known to have afew scattered smallmouth hanging around. I saw something bust the surfaceand immediately casted in that general area. After about 3 cranks of thereel had the sensation of nothing at the end of my line (like something wasswimming with it). It ended up being a nice 4 lber on a whiteswimbait. Jim had hooked up on small buck bass on a swimbait and I hadtoothy pike take my offering. We worked that area over and got one moreon a white swimbait and this one was 4.7.

We were stuck on 6 bass for a while trying to findthe really big ones. I was keeping in contact with Brian from MeWe https://mewe.com/join/michiganohioindianafishingtri-state fishing board and also Kevin who had his Dad and Daveout there. Both had very low numbers. That's when we decided it was timefor some big moves on the lake.

Our next stop was a brief one. We stopped atwhat we call the blue wall. There were probably 75 boats jammed in afairly small area. We pulled out deeper and dropped the trolling motordown. The wind had died down to almost nothing and it was like looking ina swimming pool in 10 foot of water. We could see the bottom plain asday. We made few token casts and looked at each other and knew instantlywhat the other was thinking. Time for another move. Scrapping thatgood area.
Our next stop was down near the tower at 9-mileroad. There were quite few boats down there too and there were a lot thathad left. I'm sure the area had been peppered pretty goodbefore we got there around noon. We started out a little deeper and Jimhooked up on a nice 4 lb. smallmouth on a deep diving lucky craftjerkbait. We moved in a little tighter to the bank and there was a ton ofbass loaded in that area. We bumped our count up to around 35 in prettyshort order. We got them on ned rig, tube, small crankbait, deep andshallow diving jerkbaits, blade bait, and swimbait. Nothing huge and lotwere in that cookie cutter size of 1 ½ to 2 ½ lbs. I think if we hadstayed in that area, we probably would have had one heck of a number's day, butwe decided to roll out around 1:30 and try to get our size fish up topar. We hit our first area again and the area that the 4 and 4.7 camefrom earlier. Jim and I never got a bump there. I told Jim I wanted to hitone more area before we left that we had caught big fish from in thepast. The last two times we had fished it we came up empty. It wasup in Anchor Bay. The fish numbers were high in this area, but the sizewas constantly much better. Hindsight we wish we had fished it all daylong, but instead the last two hours was good enough to bring our best 5 up to22 lbs and some change. Jim pulled some good ones in with swimbait anddeep diving jerkbait doing most of his damage. He also landed a nice muskie there. I didn't have as much luck there as I had 3 comeunbuttoned and landed only one 3 ½ lb. smallmouth. The day had ended witharound 45 smallmouth, 1 muskie, 1 pike, and 1 white bass. It was muchtougher than we expected, but it was also a couple weeks earlier than weusually come. We did video tape the day so there will be a video to comeout in the future. The usual lost footage with a couple batteries dying,but there was plenty that we captured.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Sounds like you guys enjoyed your day out on our beautiful Lake St. Clair. I am waiting to see the video. Thanks for a great report!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm heading up for the first time this year probably next week, I usually don't go up until the second week of May but thought I would try earlier this year.
Just wondering how deep you were fishing most of the day and especially in Anchor Bay...
Thanks

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm heading up for the first time this year probably next week, I usually don't go up until the second week of May but thought I would try earlier this year.
Just wondering how deep you were fishing most of the day and especially in Anchor Bay...
Thanks
Anchor Bay 5 to 8 feet. Sorry for the delayed response. Still trying to catch up on things. Heading up around Burt next week.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts