Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got to my hunting spot that I have been hunting in since opening day this morning and am watching my nice eleven point waiting for him to get close enough to shoot and all of the sudden he looks over his shoulder and takes off like a bat out of he!!. I thought oh my there is a buck here even bigger than him. Cause the only time I have seen a deer take off like he did was when they were running from a bigger buck. Then I hear the rustling right to my right side And I am thinking great he is right behind me. The old heart was a pounding and then all the noise stopped for like ten minutes. Then out of nowhere I hear someone cough loud as crap, Look around behind me and see a fricking person sitting not two feet from one of my scent wicks.I ask him if he wanted to sit in my lap and share my stand. He then proceeded to tell me he had been hunting that same "blind" since opening day. At which time I told him that I had never seen him there. He said he had been there every day from daylight till dark. Yet he didn't get there till about 9:30 in the morning. All in all I just left him but I didn't do so quietly I wish I had to crap I would have dropped a load right in front of where he was sitting. No Fricking Etiquitte. (sp.) My dad taught me if I was hunting state land and came across someone then to be as quiet as possible and leave the area. Well the rant is over and before any comments are posted yes I understand it is state land but come on with some common courtesy.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
QUOTE(bowtiehater28 @ Oct 27 2009, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I got to my hunting spot that I have been hunting in since opening day this morning and am watching my nice eleven point waiting for him to get close enough to shoot and all of the sudden he looks over his shoulder and takes off like a bat out of he!!. I thought oh my there is a buck here even bigger than him. Cause the only time I have seen a deer take off like he did was when they were running from a bigger buck. Then I hear the rustling right to my right side And I am thinking great he is right behind me. The old heart was a pounding and then all the noise stopped for like ten minutes. Then out of nowhere I hear someone cough loud as crap, Look around behind me and see a fricking person sitting not two feet from one of my scent wicks.I ask him if he wanted to sit in my lap and share my stand. He then proceeded to tell me he had been hunting that same "blind" since opening day. At which time I told him that I had never seen him there. He said he had been there every day from daylight till dark. Yet he didn't get there till about 9:30 in the morning. All in all I just left him but I didn't do so quietly I wish I had to crap I would have dropped a load right in front of where he was sitting. No Fricking Etiquitte. (sp.) My dad taught me if I was hunting state land and came across someone then to be as quiet as possible and leave the area. Well the rant is over and before any comments are posted yes I understand it is state land but come on with some common courtesy.

there is a distance rule I think its the same as a safety zone for interfering.
Also first come first served on state land get some camp permits fill it out and post it on a tree in front of him and then tell him to get. clame your spot with a camping permit.
BB

·
Registered
528 Posts
I call them Elmer Fudd's...it is ten times worse down state than in northern Michigan. They don't know how to walk on the balls of their feet and not crush leaves. They dont know how to not cough...seriously...do they think that coughing attracts deer? They smoke...and say smoke attracts deer...riiight. They dont bath (most of them). They dont scout the area they intend to hunt, they go in and "wing it". They use other peoples blinds because they are too lazy to scout the area themselves. Many of them dress like Elmer Fudd and think they can shoot 200yrds with their smoothbore buck shot 12ga shotgun (had a Mr. Fudd try to tell me this once). And most of them would qualify as front pagers on www.peopleofwalmart.com

Sorry about your luck.

·
3,236 Posts
QUOTE(Nitro225Optimax @ Oct 27 2009, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I call them Elmer Fudd's...it is ten times worse down state than in northern Michigan. They don't know how to walk on the balls of their feet and not crush leaves. They dont know how to not cough...seriously...do they think that coughing attracts deer? They smoke...and say smoke attracts deer...riiight. They dont bath (most of them). They dont scout the area they intend to hunt, they go in and "wing it". They use other peoples blinds because they are too lazy to scout the area themselves. Many of them dress like Elmer Fudd and think they can shoot 200yrds with their smoothbore buck shot 12ga shotgun (had a Mr. Fudd try to tell me this once). And most of them would qualify as front pagers on www.peopleofwalmart.com

Sorry about your luck.

That definitely describes the gun season on state land but those traits are rare during bow sesason there. Sorry to hear about the assho#e you encountered. Did he have a crossbow?

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
QUOTE(Tony @ Oct 27 2009, 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Nitro225Optimax @ Oct 27 2009, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I call them Elmer Fudd's...it is ten times worse down state than in northern Michigan. They don't know how to walk on the balls of their feet and not crush leaves. They dont know how to not cough...seriously...do they think that coughing attracts deer? They smoke...and say smoke attracts deer...riiight. They dont bath (most of them). They dont scout the area they intend to hunt, they go in and "wing it". They use other peoples blinds because they are too lazy to scout the area themselves. Many of them dress like Elmer Fudd and think they can shoot 200yrds with their smoothbore buck shot 12ga shotgun (had a Mr. Fudd try to tell me this once). And most of them would qualify as front pagers on www.peopleofwalmart.com

Sorry about your luck.

That definitely describes the gun season on state land but those traits are rare during bow sesason there. Sorry to hear about the assho#e you encountered. Did he have a crossbow?

No but he about had a bow 'cross his head, I was pretty fired up after he did that. I have seen this buck ten or so times already and he hasn't presented a shot yet but it could have been the day cause he was watching a doe that was eating nearby for a while and if he lost track of his normal routine for a minute it might have been the last minute of his life. Oh well I'll see him again. and douche bag had better not be there this morning.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Had my stand stolen from state land even after I put a python lock on it. They stole everything, and left only my bow pull up string. I stood there staring at the tree it was in for a couple hours before I left swearing off state land for three eternities.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
brother, I feel your pain, and I got two stories to share with you
the first one, I was hunting some state land that my brother used until he got a buck and decided to sleep in the next day. (you were only allowed one deer back then) I new the approximate area of the bucket he was sitting on but I had only been to it a couple of times before and it was always daylight. so I get out there bright and early but can't find my brother's bucket so I figure, I know I'm within just a few yards of it, I'll just wait til daylight, and move to it. well, just as it starts to get light out, I here something coming towards me in the woods. I get all excited thinking it's a deer so I stay low and attentive. a minute or two later, another hunter with his kid come walking by. the guy stops when he sees me and gives me a nod so I give him a wave figuring he'll move on. he moved on alright, but not before sitting his kid on my brother's bucket like, 30 yards away from me. if that weren't enough, five minutes after sitting down he whips out his brown bag lunch and starts to make all kinds of noise while he was eating. I left the spot by 8:00 am

second story happened this year. I go out at the end of september and mark a trail with some orange tape up to a spot that looks pretty good as far as deer signs go. two weeks later while up for some bow hunting, I get over to my trail at about 6:30 am and when I shine my flashlight on the trail, there are reflector pins set on the same trail on just about every tree I put orange tape on. what are the odds that the pins were there first, and I just happened to mark all the same trees they were on. I wouldn't bet on it! now I gotta go back up and find a back-up spot just in case

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
OMFG! If that dude didn't see you when he walked in (which I would find hard to believe) then at a minimum he should have left right away when he realized you were already there (duh!). Just sucks that decent people feel like they can't or shouldn't state the obvious like telling him the right thing to do would be for him to move somewhere else without feeling like some lunatic will shoot you! Thank goodness I don't have to face the public land dilemma currently, and hopefully not ever... but I just can't believe what people do. Hope that big buck graces your (private!) presence again and dies for his effort

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Doesn't matter if its public or private land. I pretty much quit deer hunting because I got tired of the A$$ CLOWNS setting up ladder stands at the end of my shooting lanes, rabbit hunting during early firearm, etc.... ALL ON MY PRIVATE PROPERTY 40 ACRES!!!!!!!

Can I shoot someone and then say "I done thinked it was a deer"? Maybe I could just bury 'em.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
i had two guys last year on opening day of gun come walking toward me 30 min before daylight. I had been hunting this spot for the past 5 weeks during bow and had been in my stand for an hour and a half already that morning so i flashed my light at them. They sat down right where they was at. The bad thing is not only are they 60 yards from me they are sitting on the scrapeline. An hour later the deer come through but they circled us about 150 yards away

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
Dealt with the same crap. Took my wife out one time on state land. Had 3 other guys set up on the same rye field FACING US all of us were in orange. We bought 46 acres the following Summer.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I too have delt with the morons on state land. im up in my stand right at prime time then i here one shot then a whistling sound fly by my head then two more shots come flying by. by then i steaming i grab my stuff and climb down and start walking down the trail to leave witch is the same diriction that the shots came from. There was this guy with a 22 rifle so i asked him what he was shooting at. He said he seen a rabbit! A f$cking rabbit in a tree w.t.f. ?

·
Registered
528 Posts
You also have to love the people who dont invest in binoculars. They use their scopes to spot. There have been times where I was glassing an area from my stand and about 400-500 yards away, I see some Fudd looking in my direction, with his scope on his rifle...WTF. Pointing a rifle at a person? Seriously? I wish I could afford my own property, but I have to pay for higher education first.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well got in there this morning at 4:00 a.m. and as I'm walking up to my tree where I put my stand up at, I see something has changed this bunghole built a ground blind around the tree i use my climber in now normally this wouldn't have irritated me but it is the only straight tree in this area in dry ground, and believe me I know this for a fact I searched for days when I was scouting this spot. He used some of that burlap stuff and some brush and built him a nice ground blind, complete with a chair. He must've hunted it last night after I went to my new spot about a quarter of a mile away. What really got me going was after I looked around a bit I found not one, not two, but eight beer cans on the ground inside this stand and he also nailed the burlap to the tree. Now granted at this time I idn't know if this was the same guy that was a thorn in my side previously but I lost it. Now this is where things get a little ugly and nasty. This is a warning for those with a weak stomach. I promptly took a number two on his chair then spun around and did a number one over top of the number two. He had a nice mess there when he got in there this morning. Then I hiked the half mile back out of the woods loaded everything back up into my truck drove down the road to my second spot and set up my stand. I did have a doe and a button buck come in to my new spot. The doe didn't present a shot or she would have been in the freezer as we speak and I won't shoot button bucks, but as I left this evening I drove back down by where I was hunting and the same weenie was coming out of the woods and low and behold he was dragging what appeared to be a fricking dog across the road towards his truck. Now I just had to stop to see this thing I kid you not I think my doberman was bigger than this deer he shot. It looked like he knocked the last spots off from it. He said it was a long day and that he couldn't believe his luck. He said yesterday he was in there hunting and some young punk was up in a tree stand and being a prick to him after he did nothing wrong. then to top if off today he got to his stand around 9:30 and he thinks the same punk came back after he built a blind and he accidentally left his chair there that day My theory is he was to drunk to remember. As he is telling me the story I want to bust out laughing but I held back. He tells me of the mess this "young punk" made. He says he had to sit on the ground and that he was cold but it paid off. He was actually bragging about this deer. Now mind you as I am listening to this story I am getting intoxicated from his breath. This is where things get fun I decide to let him know for one that I am 35 and no young punk and let him know that furthermore my dad taught me one thing as far as hunting went and it was called courtesy. When A man is in a spot and if it is state land then move on peacefully and find a new spot. And maybe just maybe if he had done so that he wouldn't have all these issues while trying to hunt. Not once to I let on about his impending doom. Now I don't know if it was common sense or simply fear, as I am 6'0' and 240 he was about 5'9" and about 150 soaking wet, And this isn't demeaning little people I have had my butt knocked around by people smaller than me, but he didn't give me any back lip and he said it was time for him to go. I said yeah he had a long night ahead of him and got into my truck and drove down the road a bit and pulled into another spot and waited. Now how unlucky for him that he happened to go the same way as me out of the woods. As he passed I waited till all I could see was his taillights and I started the truck back up and headed down the road after him. I promptly got on my cell phone and dialed up oakland counties finest to report a drunk driver. After following him for an eternity and staying on the phone with the dispatcher and continuing to tell her how this guy almost ran me off the road By the way he was swerving line to line so I believe he was in fact drunk. I get a set of lights coming up from behind me at fairly good clip. He turns his lights on I pull off the the side of the road and he goes by me and pulls the bunghole over. After which I pull up behind him and decide to wait till the officer comes over to my truck. I hung up with the dispatcher after she says to wait that they might need me as a witness. After he gets done putting some nice bracelets on the guy and loads him in his car he comes over to the truck and asks me for my name, etc. He says the guy failed the field tests and refused a breathalizer And that is was good that I reported it as he was either poaching or just to drunk to remember to tag his deer, so he was in some real crap now for the drunk driving and who knows what the dnr I going to do to him. I read in the dnr guide that they are pretty strict on hunting and alcohol offenses. All I have to say after this eventful evening is Karma Is A B!*ch.
I am guessing tomorrow will be and evening hunt as it is now 1:20 in the morning and there is no way I am getting up at 3:00 to go back out. got to sleep some time.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
like you said, karma is a b!tch

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
QUOTE(snowman @ Oct 29 2009, 08:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nice. About time some turd got his dues.

nice pun! That's a sh*tty story if I ever heard one
sorry too easy

Bummer that you had to go through all that, and really too bad that the guy really seemed to deserve what he got - why can't he just sit home and drink instead of messing up the woods and someone else's hunt. And I'm sure you're right, he won't remember or won't care about your "courtesy" lecture - and unfortunately ONE idiot like this gives hunters in general a bad name. I hope he doesn't remember you or your vehicle... never know what clowns like that might do. And just for the record (whatever that's worth!) I certainly don't condone or agree with your "spoiling" his stuff, two wrongs don't make a right - but the drinking, baby deer not tagged, etc. is bad juju and should have been reported even if it wasn't just to get him back. Of course this is only my opinion.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
QUOTE(superman @ Oct 29 2009, 09:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(snowman @ Oct 29 2009, 08:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nice. About time some turd got his dues.

nice pun! That's a sh*tty story if I ever heard one
sorry too easy

Bummer that you had to go through all that, and really too bad that the guy really seemed to deserve what he got - why can't he just sit home and drink instead of messing up the woods and someone else's hunt. And I'm sure you're right, he won't remember or won't care about your "courtesy" lecture - and unfortunately ONE idiot like this gives hunters in general a bad name. I hope he doesn't remember you or your vehicle... never know what clowns like that might do. And just for the record (whatever that's worth!) I certainly don't condone or agree with your "spoiling" his stuff, two wrongs don't make a right - but the drinking, baby deer not tagged, etc. is bad juju and should have been reported even if it wasn't just to get him back. Of course this is only my opinion.

Yes it probably was wrong to poop on his parade. LOL but I don't feel bad as far as what I did to his chair. He deserved it. I had scouted that spot for a long time and the only reason i believe he even found it was i started wearing a path where i was coming and going. I was a little over a half mile into the woods and he followed my trail right in. Otherwise there is no way he could've gotten in as there was a creek that crossed it and you had to either have a pair of hip boots on or you had to be on the trail and cross on the logs that I made into a bridge. And as far as reporting him if I see someone misusing our state lands (i.e. Drinking, Nailing Stuff to trees, Cutting down trees, etc.,) I report them. As far as his chair goes, he should sometime open the rule book, it clearly states that all personal items must be removed from the woods at the end of each day when hunting on state land. Now the only way that chair could have been there that day was if he put it in there prior to 4:00 in the morning. Hunting our state lands are a privilige and should be treated as so. It just fuels the ammunition for the peta activists when people break the laws and rules. And yes at first it was to get back at him but I also knew he should be reported for his actions. He just happened to be coming out at the wrong time. As i watching it all unfold suprisingly I didn't feel bad for him. Actually I felt quite good about the whole thing other than I waited for the officer forever and couldn't get up to go out this morning. Oh well headed out pretty soon for the evening hunt. Good luck to all and I only hope no one else has to go through this type of crap in the spot they scouted.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts