1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
I saw that article. I like the idea, but I really don't like the optional idea. I think they should make it a mandatory $5-$7 fee for all. This way you get more funding and you don't have the issue of free loaders.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
You can't charge less and make more $ unless you can offset by getting more people to participate. Therefore the only way this would work is if significantly more people than currently visit our parks and buy annual DNR stickers begin going.

The plan says they need 17% of residents to buy the $10 per vehicle in order to break even (equal the cash flow from last year). Last year 1.2 million visitors @ 85% (% of visitors that were Michigan residents) = 1 million residents. According to the 2008 census, Michigan's population was at 10 million people. So only 10% of residents visited a state park and/or bought a DNR pass. By that math we need to increase resident participation by 70% just to equal the cash income that the current program accounted for. NOT GONNA HAPPEN - NO WAY, NOT EVEN CLOSE.

Were there really 700,000 residents that said "$24 just is too much to spend, but if it were only $10, now that we could afford"?

Although the plan sounds great to me (someone who already buys the stickers and likely would do so if they were $100 instead of $24 - let alone $10 per vehicle) I feel that this plan is doomed and will fail. Michigan was one of only two states last year that LOST population and I predict that we will continue to lose people due to the economy for at least 2 more years. Therefore in essence, we would be banking on significantly more non-residents to come up and visit. Wait until gas hits $3 a gallon in the spring. That ought to put the kabash on it for sure...

·
Registered
605 Posts
Ill buy one for $10 I mostly use the State parks for riding my mountain bike and usally I just free load, park my car outside the park and ride in. For only $10 ill buy a pass and park at the trailhead

·
Registered
312 Posts
QUOTE(little guy @ Nov 13 2009, 09:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You can't charge less and make more $ unless you can offset by getting more people to participate. Therefore the only way this would work is if significantly more people than currently visit our parks and buy annual DNR stickers begin going.

The plan says they need 17% of residents to buy the $10 per vehicle in order to break even (equal the cash flow from last year). Last year 1.2 million visitors @ 85% (% of visitors that were Michigan residents) = 1 million residents. According to the 2008 census, Michigan's population was at 10 million people. So only 10% of residents visited a state park and/or bought a DNR pass. By that math we need to increase resident participation by 70% just to equal the cash income that the current program accounted for. NOT GONNA HAPPEN - NO WAY, NOT EVEN CLOSE.

Were there really 700,000 residents that said "$24 just is too much to spend, but if it were only $10, now that we could afford"?

Although the plan sounds great to me (someone who already buys the stickers and likely would do so if they were $100 instead of $24 - let alone $10 per vehicle) I feel that this plan is doomed and will fail. Michigan was one of only two states last year that LOST population and I predict that we will continue to lose people due to the economy for at least 2 more years. Therefore in essence, we would be banking on significantly more non-residents to come up and visit. Wait until gas hits $3 a gallon in the spring. That ought to put the kabash on it for sure...

I think your numbers are a bit off, probable because the article is a bit confusing.

1.2 million stickers may have been sold, but they are not all sold at $24; there are also daily stickers in that figure as well.

The total funds that all of the Stickers (yearly, daily, non-resident) purchased in 2008 was 11.7 Million dollars. In order to equal 11.7 Millions dollars with this new $10 plan, you would have to have 1.17 Million vehicles participate.

According to this web pdf, there were 9.8 million registered vehicles in Michigan. But when you look below that, that number includes vehicles that people are not going to even consider to put a Park Sticker on (like trailers,tractors). Maybe about 6 Million of them you would think to put a sticker on (cars, trucks). So you would need about 1 in 6 vehicles to participate. Which is where they get 17%.

Cutting the annual sticker from $24 to $10, you are going to have to see a jump in annual park sticker purchases by 2.4 times to see the same income. I don't think you are gong to see that kind of jump in participation. Number of vehicles using the boat launchs is not going to jump up, and the number of people camping is not going to jump up.

They are just assuming that people are going to do it, cause it is simply done when you register your vehicle. Or they might not even tell you that you are paying for it. They are hoping to trick everyone into participation. Pretty Sneaky.

Also, right now they dont have the funds to keep people at those 800+ boat ramps to sell stickers for 8-10 hours a day. So they are hoping that you will get your sticker when you register your vehicle from the sec. of state, cause they are paying for those sec. of state clerks already. Right now, they will not let you use the boat launch if you dont have a sticker. But with the new plan, you will be able to use the launch. And then they can pay a person to go around and check the launches quickly and write out $100 tickets. Instead of them setting at one park for 8 hours, they can cover many lots with one person and check a lot full of cars quick and cheap.

The camping parks are still going to have gatekeepers, cause I know they dont let non-camper vehicles enter the park after 10pm.

Getting 2.4 times the number of vehicles to participate is a pretty big gamble.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just bought my plates for my Dec B-day. I will not need plates till next year Dec. When dose this take effect? How is this going to work the first year with everyone buying plate by the b-day?

I see it will be like the One time trailer plate? Just away to get a lump sum tax increase?

These people that run the state know three ways to raise revenue, release the prisoners, cut funding to the schools and raise taxes. They are so smart, lets open the books and see where the big money goes, I can tell you one place, teachers health care, and pensions, the most sacred government funding never to be cut.

Revolution is needed before martial law is enacted.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
QUOTE(mrymar @ Nov 13 2009, 12:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Getting 2.4 times the number of vehicles to participate is a pretty big gamble.

Even though our math is different, we still agree that this is not good math. 70% increase or 240% increase. Either way, it is flawed. I hope I am wrong, as I sure want things to get better.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Wasn't this type of plan brought up a few years ago? Then it got dropped for 1 reason or another. If I've learned one thing over the last 6-7 years, It's don't trust Jenny!
She reminds me of a girl I used to know, Give her $500.00 she'd try to spend $750.00!

·
Registered
294 Posts
This plan is actaully modeled after a similar plan in Montana. The difference is that in Montana, the fee is only $4.00 per plate, and residents much fill out an "opt out" form if they do not wish to participate. About 75% of residents pay the fee. Unlike Montana, Michigan is proposing to make the fee voluntary, and estimate that if 50% of the vehicle owners pay, it will increse park revenues by three times what it now receives.

I love it, if only for the simplicity of having to only purchase one permit that will allow me entrance into both, State Parks, and DNR launches. I have advocated and lobbied for a single pemit system for years. Heck, I would be willing to pay full price for such a permit. I already buy both, anyway. It would be great to not have to stick and remove two stickers every year.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Man thats awesome I get a state park/dnr launch sticker for $10? I don't see how they're gonna raise more money but it will save me $40.

Water Boat Helmet Paddle Watercraft

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
this has been tossed around for the last few years, just like the helmet laws, and i guarantee the state will find a way to mess this one up too. originallly, it was ten bucks surcharge on every vehicle in the state and anyone with MI plates would be allowed access to all state parks and launches. maybe promote more tourism. myself, i think it's a great idea because i use the access, but i'm sure not everyone agrees because belle isle is still free.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
I like the idea and would pay for it even if it was 48 dollars. I would rather get it while I get my plates anyways as opposed to having to wait for an attendant to show up at the gate so I can get my boat launch pass or having to go to a park office to get my parking permit to go hunting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts