Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
If your able to make it to the mile rds. I would try there in about 12-18 fow, thowing jerkbaits, rattletraps and cranks. Also you could use live bait, goldershiners or leaches work really well. If you can fish the Bay try the B-bouy area this time of the year or around brunner island.

Bass Ninja

·
Registered
189 Posts
QUOTE(Bass Ninja @ Aug 26 2009, 09:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If your able to make it to the mile rds. I would try there in about 12-18 fow, thowing jerkbaits, rattletraps and cranks. Also you could use live bait, goldershiners or leaches work really well. If you can fish the Bay try the B-bouy area this time of the year or around brunner island.

Bass Ninja

where in the lake is 18fow besides the channels?

·
LSCN Sponsor since 12/07
2,539 Posts
QUOTE(HOMER1127 @ Aug 26 2009, 07:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello all I am new to the sport of smallmouth fishing,and want to try the river but i have no idea where to go.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks.
You're going to have a hard time geting people to suggest where to fish. Most of the spots that people go to for smallies fish pretty small. Meaning that it's a specific drift, from point 'A' to point 'B', at a certain depth. It takes alot of time on the water to find those kind of spots and most guys just aren't going to give them up.

I can tell you that, right now, there are fish from Marine City all the way down to the State Park. That right there eliminates alot of the river and helps narrow your search. But that's still ALOT of water - several miles of water ranging from 3ft. all the way down to 45ft. But the fish are not everywhere within that area. Some flats are great, others stink. Some drifts are good at 20ft., others are good at 32ft. or deeper.

If it's just generalities you're looking for, then that should help. The fish are in there, you just have to put the time in to find them. There just aren't thousands of fish available like there are in the lake in the spring.

·
LSCN Sponsor since 12/07
2,539 Posts
QUOTE(Hillman @ Aug 26 2009, 10:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Bass Ninja @ Aug 26 2009, 09:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If your able to make it to the mile rds. I would try there in about 12-18 fow, thowing jerkbaits, rattletraps and cranks. Also you could use live bait, goldershiners or leaches work really well. If you can fish the Bay try the B-bouy area this time of the year or around brunner island.

Bass Ninja

Quite a bit of 18-20 ft in the main basin, outside the channels.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(Hillman @ Aug 26 2009, 10:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Bass Ninja @ Aug 26 2009, 09:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If your able to make it to the mile rds. I would try there in about 12-18 fow, thowing jerkbaits, rattletraps and cranks. Also you could use live bait, goldershiners or leaches work really well. If you can fish the Bay try the B-bouy area this time of the year or around brunner island.

Bass Ninja

I would estimate about 200-300 square miles of 18 feet of water in the lake.

·
Registered
290 Posts
If you are looking for an exact area that is going to be hard for anyone to give you all I can tell you is that I was at the mile rds. last sat for four hrs. 3 of us caught 22 fish 20 bass, one sheephead and one rocky. We droped in at crocker and drove straight out until we found 12 fow then drifted to just over 15 and made that drift twice. Most of our fish were in the 3 to 4 lb range. Im not sure if there still there but my guess is that they will be from crocker rd. to 9 mile tower. That is alot of water to cover but if you make a drift and get nothing keep moving and you will find them.

Bass Ninja

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've caught lots of smallies around Fawn Island, usually unintentionally when drift fishing for walleyes or still fishing for perch. North of the ferry dock there is a large flats area on the Canadian side and I've caught quite a few along the drop off where it goes from 8-10 FOW to 18-26 FOW. I always see bass boats in that area, even in the shallower water, but I'm not sure about their success.

Try drifting the dropoff along the west side of Fawn Island, drop shoting with gobies or tubes. At the north-west end of the island, just east of the shipping channel are some pretty extensive weed beds in around 15 FOW. I've caught quite a few bass in that area.

The bass seem to be around there all summer but my experince has been that the fishing heats up from late August thru mid October. Of course, this year it's anybodys guess. I caught at least one 5 lb'er and numerous smaller ones every time I went out (4 or 5 trips) last fall between labor day and mid - Oct. and that was when I was targeting perch using perch rigs and 1/2 a nightcrawler.

Like the earlier posts said, there's lots of area to cover but plenty of opportunities for some great success.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,355 Posts

Bass Ninja

mid lake is all 18 fow or so

·
Registered
75 Posts
The only place I found smallies was accross from the museum down from the fairy (Harsens Island). There is a reed area there bout 4-8 FOW full of weeds few feet from surface we landed quite a few in a short time also got a few meduim pike. went out in my buddies lil zodiak geez was that fun we were soaked...

We used spiners and raps

·
Registered
526 Posts
QUOTE(darren @ Aug 26 2009, 09:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the river is dead sea, (over fished) it will never be good

I have to disagree that the river is dead, I haven't been able to get out that much but have done pretty well early and late, the biggest problem I see is people motoring upstream near shore and scattering them, get out early before the crowd and I think you'll be suprised, and as far as bass in scr i'm not sure cus I'm dragging the bottom but mark alot of fish between 6-15 ft down, some quite large, and there are some big toothy critters in there but see them jumping more than being caught.

Attachments

·
Registered
382 Posts
QUOTE(gldnrcher @ Aug 26 2009, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(darren @ Aug 26 2009, 09:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the river is dead sea, (over fished) it will never be good

I have to disagree that the river is dead, I haven't been able to get out that much but have done pretty well early and late, the biggest problem I see is people motoring upstream near shore and scattering them, get out early before the crowd and I think you'll be suprised, and as far as bass in scr i'm not sure cus I'm dragging the bottom but mark alot of fish between 6-15 ft down, some quite large, and there are some big toothy critters in there but see them jumping more than being caught.

I disagree on this, if an area is over fished do you really think the fish are that stupid to bite? They are shocked, as much as i love to help people with spots its very nerve rackin when areas areover fished just imagine if everyone found their own spots than we could discover things that noone ever knew about, thats why fishing is so interesting its just not how well you can fish an area, its finding areas that nobody has ever found before and im 100 percent sure theres always a new area in that lake that no1 has discovered yet so my advice is to not be a follower we all want to catch fish but we shouldnt always count on others but ourselves that will make this sport more exciting and fun. Like what capDoug said, try different depths, vegetation and flats depending on the year and you can then say that YOU found a spot for yourself, i think thats a better feeling then fishing where everyone goes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.