Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
there's always steelies there, it's just a matter of find the right holes to fish and putting the right bait in front of them.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Clinton River can be summed up like this....you got there 8-10 times to get 1 fish. Which is fine, you have to put in the work.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I would be interested to see just how many fish we are talking about....

Anybody who has ever caught a steelhead out of the clinton please raise their hand. Then please tell us exactly how many you have caught and how many have been on accident fishing for something else.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea i know where some deep holes are on the river. i have never caught one or targeted them but i have been doing alot of research and i think i know how to hook up with some. i also have a place in oscoda and rate down the road at foote dam i know they hook into alot of them. just wanted to see if anyone has heard of anybeing caught on the clinton just dont really feel like driving up north for my first shot at them. thanks for all the info will report tommorow.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
QUOTE(Shift7609 @ Mar 9 2010, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>yea i know where some deep holes are on the river. i have never caught one or targeted them but i have been doing alot of research and i think i know how to hook up with some. i also have a place in oscoda and rate down the road at foote dam i know they hook into alot of them. just wanted to see if anyone has heard of anybeing caught on the clinton just dont really feel like driving up north for my first shot at them. thanks for all the info will report tommorow.

If you are going for your first shot at them go someplace where you stand a chance! I have always thought that confidence plays a big part in fishing. If you aren't confident that you will catch anything, most likely you won't. Go up north and get some confidence in a method that is proven to work and then come back down and apply those same methods to catching fish on the clinton. Another thing is that you can read about it all you want but steelhead fishing is something that you have to get the "feel" for and there is nothing that will replace some action on the river. As a kid I spent a lot of time researching it as well and spent 2 years religiously fishing with my dad and watching him consistantly hook up before I caught my first fish. That was a holy day for me and I can still picture that fish, I remember sitting on shore shaking like a whore in church after landing it.
Good luck no matter what route you decide to go and I hope you get your first one!

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Ryan Road area is a good place to try.

·
Registered
218 Posts
QUOTE(Shift7609 @ Mar 9 2010, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Any tips would be appreciated also!

If you are going to cover alot of river and not just one spot, cast little cleo spoons to cover water. If you cast 20 times with no hits move on. If you are going to just fish the dam, I can only advise what has worked for me. Put a swivel on your main line. Put enough weight (sinkers) on the swivel to make it stay in place in the current. Then add a leader to your swivel. The leader should be like 4lb line about 6 ft long. I put a tiny swivel circle on one end, halfway down a tiny float, then on the other end a tiny red stealhead hook. Baited with a small nightcrawler in october worked for me, but a spawnbag might be better now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i use to fish the clinton quite often for steelhead. i was most productive using a 7 1/2 ft. flippin stick w/ a crankbait and 14# line...in order to pull any snags free. fished a modified drob back method...as you would in a drift boat. can't say i did great but i did ok. i fished everywhere on that river for about 25 years. the area in downtown utica is very good...lots of gravel runs. park in the school parking lot and walk down to the river. not sure of the street name but it shouldn't be to hard to find. you have to get away from everyone and be VERY stealthy.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I've had decent luck drifting spawn, flies(black or brown stoneflies, egg sucking leeches, wiggler patterns, single egg patterns, crystal eggs, nuke eggs). But to be totally honest, I've landed most of my steelies at yates by fishing the deep holes and casting Hot-n-tots in those deep holes, orange back with a gold belly has been the biggest producer for me, firetiger, brown trout and rainbow trout patterns have produced fish also. Rapalas have produced fish also.

·
Registered
442 Posts
If you got the money its really worth the trip north. I dont mean to discourage you but being your first time it can be frustrating, especially on the clinton. Yes there are fish there but they are few and far between, and the fish that are there have had everything you can think of thrown at them. With that being said I have had most luck there with egg flys, ones that I tied myself. I would suggest something unusal that maybe they havent seen much of. Be sure to bring lots of tackle because there is a ton of snags there. Good luck, hope you get lucky.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
my hand is up... i used to live in the trailer park by yates so i would fish the dam area often there accutally quite a few steelhead there you can watch them jump the dam i maybe got a couple each year . i even caught pike walleye smallmouth crappie rockbass carp brown and rainbow over the years

·
Registered
442 Posts
QUOTE(DR.hook @ Mar 9 2010, 07:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>my hand is up... i used to live in the trailer park by yates so i would fish the dam area often there accutally quite a few steelhead there you can watch them jump the dam i maybe got a couple each year . i even caught pike walleye smallmouth crappie rockbass carp brown and rainbow over the years

I forgot to mention that one day last year I caught atleast 11 walleye in a few hours, but of course the season was already closed. But I gotta say that a couple steelhead a year is nothing, Ive been on the the grand, au sable and manistee before and hooked a dozen times, that is not very unusal on those rivers, if you ask me its worth the drive. I will say this though, once you hook into a steely you will love fishing for them, its like shooting a big buck, all the hours in the cold freezen your ace off is worth it for just one hook-up!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the advice ill report back gonna get out early i got my arsenal ready in the truck already. i think next weekend im gonna head up to the ausable and try up there too!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
QUOTE(Shift7609 @ Mar 9 2010, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for all the advice ill report back gonna get out early i got my arsenal ready in the truck already. i think next weekend im gonna head up to the ausable and try up there too!

I know that you posted earlier that you have a place in Oscoda and the AuSable has better numbers of fish than the Clinton, but if you really want to increase your odds of hooking up head over to Ludington and try fishing the Pere Marquette, another great bet over there is to fish the surf from the peirs at the mouth of the PM. We use spawn casted out from the piers into the surf. The Nova Motel is a decent palce to stay, clean room, fair rates.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Fished all day from 8-6 started at Coyote joes then headed to riverbends had one pike i believe on at coyote joes and then nothing at riverbends went to yates park at around noon fished there till 6 had 2 steelies on lost both of them my buddy caught a lil 8in and seen 2 guys catch some nice ones but no luck for me!

·
Registered
822 Posts
i went on monday at the dam watched a guy go 2 for 4 all the steeles in there were winter fish so with the rain coming its going to help the fish move up the river and allow some chrome ones in next week is going to better and the water temp was 37 degrees so once it warms up a feew more degrees that will get them spawning
as for me i had the intention to go for pike but said screw that so switched up m7y gear and went for suckers to see if my lady friend could catch one she didnt but she did manage to cast over the dam twice as for my luck i caught a 15 in brown that hit on a size 4 or 6 stonefly which i feel is too big of a fly for that river but at least i caught something and wasnt skunked i was was just stunned at the color in that fish and the fact i caught it at the dam also

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.