Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My steering cable broke yesterday heading back from Strawberry Island to the Clinton River, thankfully I was able to drive her in by shifting power back and forth on the engines but my fly bridge steering wheels just spins and the lower helm feels like only one rudder is turning, control is very limited.

Does anyone have experience in working on this type of problem? If so shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Sheamus... you'll have to start by figuring out what exactly broke... the wheel mechanism, the cable or the connection at the rudders... all separate entities and each replaceable. Has the steering been very stiff?

You mentioned you have a lower helm... you should have been able to drive easily from there (except for visibility issues) unless there's another problem there... if your dual helms are set up like mine, it's another separate push-pull cable that operates the rudder from there. When my lower helm is engaged, the upper wheel free-wheels and has NO control or effect on the lower helm wheel. Dual wheels with cables are generally totally isolated mechanically... when one system is engaged the other is out of the picture. I can only explain your difficulty steering from below in that you may not have fully engaged the lower helm... in mine, when I make the choice, I have to spin the wheel a bit in both directions to get it to mechanically "snap" in (it actually makes a snap noise). Lower helms generally get so little use that they're usually in good shape... 35 yrs old and mine feels like new... upper helm, not so much

If it's a cable... you'll need to know the legnth to buy one. If you pull the old one out, be sure to tape or tie a decent piece of nylon line to it to use as a "pull rope" for reinstalling the new one.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(Capn Ken @ Jun 28 2009, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sheamus... you'll have to start by figuring out what exactly broke... the wheel mechanism, the cable or the connection at the rudders... all separate entities and each replaceable. Has the steering been very stiff?

You mentioned you have a lower helm... you should have been able to drive easily from there (except for visibility issues) unless there's another problem there... if your dual helms are set up like mine, it's another separate push-pull cable that operates the rudder from there. When my lower helm is engaged, the upper wheel free-wheels and has NO control or effect on the lower helm wheel. Dual wheels with cables are generally totally isolated mechanically... when one system is engaged the other is out of the picture. I can only explain your difficulty steering from below in that you may not have fully engaged the lower helm... in mine, when I make the choice, I have to spin the wheel a bit in both directions to get it to mechanically "snap" in (it actually makes a snap noise). Lower helms generally get so little use that they're usually in good shape... 35 yrs old and mine feels like new... upper helm, not so much

If it's a cable... you'll need to know the legnth to buy one. If you pull the old one out, be sure to tape or tie a decent piece of nylon line to it to use as a "pull rope" for reinstalling the new one.

My two helms or stations are in sync with each other, meaning that when you turn the wheel from one station the wheel in the other station turns at the same time. Same with the shifters... I am really hoping that the cable just broke free from the "thingie" in the steering box on the upper helm. The reason I am holding out hope thats all that is wrong is...

1. There was something blocking the lower steering wheel (It's wonderful having wife and kids somedays) and when I tried to turn I'm thinking the lower wheel jammed and the force I used on the upper was enough to break a 33 year old cable linkage.
2. If I turn the upper wheel (did so today) I get a "click click click" sound as I turn the wheel back and forth.

I have a buddy that is going to take a look at it with me, but if that fails then it's off to the repair shop.

I'm not sure how to check my rudder connections where they are located. The steering actually has been much looser on the upper helm, I would have turn the upper wheel 45 degrees before feeling resistance of the rudders.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts