Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just installed new amps(2) with subs(2) and speakers(4). problem, i am getting a popping sound when activating any 120 ac or 12 dc power from the control panel. also comes from trim tabs, and drive trim, but not from other switches on the dash. sound is not continuous, just a pop when the switches are thrown. speakers hooked up to the radio itself do not pop. radio is wired as an accesory in the control panel. tried isolating rca cables, as well as hard wiring stereo/amps to a neutral battery(not hooked to boat). same problem. any thoughts??

·
"Commodore of the ToT LoT"
2,809 Posts
QUOTE(MooseKnuckle @ May 19 2004, 08:27 AM)I've got the same situation ONLY when I use my windlass anchor switch. I'd be interested in comments from Hammer.
Moose,
Talk to Formula. Had the same problem with the windlass and stereo on mine. They sent me a noise suppresser to install by the amps. Helped quite a bit but not completely gone. They also said that this was standard on all new builds with the windlass option. Good Luck Guys!!!!

XO

G

·
When I installed my amp/speaker/sub system, I also ran seperate +/- lines to a seperate fuse panel(bought @ West Marine) to supply those items.

That way there is no interferance to the amp because it is not sharing the same panel/circuit.
If you would like to know more about that, let me know. Would be happy to help.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CONVINCOR, WOULD LOVE THE HELP, LET ME KNOW HOW TO REACH YOU. I WAS PLAYING AROUND AGAIN LAST NIGHT AND GET A LOAD OF THIS. THE RADIO IS RUN OF AN ACCESSORY TO THE CONTROL PANEL BOTH THE POWER AND MENORY FEED WIRES AND I ALSO GROUND THERE. I WAS TRYING TO ISOLATE THE AMP, SO I UNHOOKED THE GROUND FROM THE RADIO. THEREFORE THE RADIO IS DEAD, BUT THE AMP WAS STILL ON. THERE WAS STILL POWER COMING FROM THE AUXILLARY TURNON FROM THE RADIO. HOW COULD THAT HAPPEN WHEN THE RADIO IS DEAD???

·
12,052 Posts
My last boat with (6) amps has a buzz sound from (2) fridges when they ran on 12v. I bought a powered line filter, didn't work. I tried isolating the power but because the negaitves on a boat are all tied together (4 batteries) it may still have buzzed because of that.

My solution......turn it up loud so you can't hear the buzz.

Your popping problem sounds different though.

Convincor, when you have all the 12v [email protected] running on a boat, keeping out the noise is tough.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
success!!! thanks for the idea convincor. i did the same thing as you, and eliminated all of the sound with a seperate amp/radio panel....

G

·
QUOTE(hammer @ May 20 2004, 12:47 PM)Convincor, when you have all the 12v [email protected] running on a boat, keeping out the noise is tough.
You are right. If you have a ton off accessories on board it may be tough to eliminate the noises.

G

·
QUOTE(kbush1 @ May 21 2004, 07:41 AM)success!!! thanks for the idea convincor. i did the same thing as you, and eliminated all of the sound with a seperate amp/radio panel....
Congrats.

Hopefully I'll be able to meet you out there this year and check out your ride.
Just give a shout out on ch. 69 and we all can meet up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts