Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yea, i know this is a st clair site, but my walleye friend invited me on a Lake erie trip out of Sterling Park. He lives in Grand Rapids and not sure if he knows where they are hitting. I usually go to st clair, so i am not much help as to where the fish are.

This is where i was hoping to get some help. Would folks provide me some tips, hot spots, depth or "what to look for" areas that i can keep in my back pocket and mention to my "captain" incase we need a little help locating fish?

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

I read things about "bolles" and clusters of boats around certain areas, but i just dont know where these things are or what is happening on erie.

Thanks for everyones help.

·
Registered
82 Posts
been out of sterlin g a few times this year

limits are the norm

18-22 foot of water has been the best.
Im not a worm guy, but they have been outproducing the plastic.

With worms-go slow use 2 ounce bottom bouncers and keep on bottom(just ticvking it)-but watch out for the silver bass.

I like
to troll with boards with hot n tots and wiggle worts.

silver blck,gold black, chgatruse silver, silver blue usually are the best

Depends where they are on how much line you need out. If they are suspended i have run as little as 50 feet out. If weedsa are aproble run snap weight on the line. 35 feet out put on snap weight(1/2 to 1 ounce) and then 35 more out. Sometimes 50 out 50 more). If one bottom 75 out 75 more. When running plastice you have to experimate until you find the right program.

I have done well in past years with downriggers, but not this year, not sure why

also a lot of people run mini dipsies and spoons-i havent had the luck with these as others.

al;so if fish are suspended erei dearies or flipping harnesses are tgood and fun way to get the fish.

If using worms-bring lots

If you have a radio 68 and 72 are usualy busy-listen and learnside note-if leaving sterling at end of channel(heading north out of laucnh) you need to turn east at end by marina, dont cut that turn early-very shallow(sand bar)

·
Registered
2 Posts
EXCELLENT RESPONSE TO HIS REQUEST. I WOULD ADD THAT DOWRIGGERS 18-19 FOOT DOWN WITH SMALL RELEASE AND SMALL SCORPION SPOONS DO REAL WELL, AND SMALL DIPSYS TURNED TO 1.5 BACK 35-40 FEET WITH GOLD RAPALAS OR LITTLE GOLD SCORPIONS HAVE BEEN REAL GOOD FOR US..THEN PLANAR BOARDS WITH GREENISH AND PURPLISH HOT-N-TOTS AND THUNDERSTICK DEEP JRS. IN BLUE/CHROME AND FIRETIGER BACK 75-125FT GOTTA SEARCH WITH THOSE LIKE HE SAYS..YOU'LL GET THEM NO PROBLEM..MAY START 18 FEET OR SO AND MAY HAVE TO GO DEEPER OUT TO AS MUCH AS 26-27FT..WATCH YOUR GRAPH AND KEPP SEARCHING DEEPER TILL YOU FIND EM.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I also do very well with 2 oz bottom bouncers & crawler harnesses. & don't forget that you will need an ohio
licence if you plan to fish deeper than 24 feet.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Sterling State Park is redone. Nice fish cleaning station there now too. Limited out in 1 hour and 50 minutes out off of Fermi on 6-18. All fish came on hotntots. Gold w/ black back was the color of the moment. Trolled 2 mph 125 feet off inline boards. Caught 1 eye in Brest bay and nothing else for an hour. Moved to 18 to 20 fow off Fermi and caught the rest in short order. 3 in 5 minutes at one point. You have to watch the winds. Anything out of the east is usually not good. It blows all the weeds in. The water temp was 66 degrees and clear. Weeds were not a problem that day. Keep in mind that the weekends get crowded at the ramp, but it is a nice facility with quite a few ramps and lots of parking. Good luck on your trip. The `eyes are a snappin on the big water.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Deeper water is good now, try 26 to 28 FOW with a 3oz bottom bouncer. We launch at sterling park and a word of caution, don't cut the bouys going to the lake. There is only about 16" of water outside the channel. Was hoping to go Sat, but looks like the Ram ate the waterpump......BURP Midnight auto repair at its finest!!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for eveyone's help. We had our 3 man limit in about 6 hrs. First time that i limited out. What a blast. We did inline planners and a variety of cranks,,, orange seemed to be the color. Trolled just outside of the pack of boats since we were all learning how to catch these suckers. We were in 18-24 feet of water.

Thanks for all the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts