Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a little advise, please. I changed the outdrive lube yesterday and only had a quart for the job. It never made it up to the vent hole before I ran out and it doesn't even wet the bottom of the dipstick. Plus I spilled enough on my hands putting the plug back in to protect another small boat
. Why can't I top it off through the vent hole? Do I have to remove the drain plug at the bottom of the drive and fill it through there, thus spilling/wasting more oil? Any advise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(Stodge @ Jul 2 2009, 09:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Don't you have a bottle mounted on the engine for that? The 2 boats I've had with alpha drives both had those.
They added that in 1994 to the Alpha Ones. Mine's a 1991.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
My alpha 1 uses the screw on the bottom, never fill from top something about the preasure plus you won't know when full. I think it takes about 40 oz. too. Do you use the pump you screw on the bottle. Make's it alot less messy and always put the top screw in first.

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
QUOTE(1ProudDad @ Jul 2 2009, 09:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Stodge @ Jul 2 2009, 09:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Don't you have a bottle mounted on the engine for that? The 2 boats I've had with alpha drives both had those.
They added that in 1994 to the Alpha Ones. Mine's a 1991.

Ouch.

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
QUOTE(1ProudDad @ Jul 2 2009, 09:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Looking for a little advise, please. I changed the outdrive lube yesterday and only had a quart for the job. It never made it up to the vent hole before I ran out and it doesn't even wet the bottom of the dipstick. Plus I spilled enough on my hands putting the plug back in to protect another small boat
. Why can't I top it off through the vent hole? Do I have to remove the drain plug at the bottom of the drive and fill it through there, thus spilling/wasting more oil? Any advise would be appreciated.
Make sure you install the top plug before opening bottom. This will greatly reduce what spills out while installing the bottom plug.

You cannot fill with only one plug open because there is no way for the air to escape as the oil displaces the air.

·
Registered
354 Posts
QUOTE(fitsus @ Jul 2 2009, 09:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My alpha 1 uses the screw on the bottom, never fill from top something about the preasure plus you won't know when full. I think it takes about 40 oz. too. Do you use the pump you screw on the bottle. Make's it alot less messy and always put the top screw in first.

That's how mine worked as well, filling from the top could = problems, the pump was key to filling it, really no other way to do it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I used the pump and removed the top plug while filling. I also closed it before removing the pump, but it still flows out to some degree while you replace the bottom plug. I was just hoping to avoid that whole problem just to add a few more ounces. Sounds like that's not in the cards though, huh? Bottom-up is the only procedure?

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
QUOTE(Away Point @ Jul 2 2009, 09:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(1ProudDad @ Jul 2 2009, 09:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Looking for a little advise, please. I changed the outdrive lube yesterday and only had a quart for the job. It never made it up to the vent hole before I ran out and it doesn't even wet the bottom of the dipstick. Plus I spilled enough on my hands putting the plug back in to protect another small boat
Make sure you install the top plug before opening bottom. This will greatly reduce what spills out while installing the bottom plug.

You cannot fill with only one plug open because there is no way for the air to escape as the oil displaces the air.

like he says put the pump on the bottom plug first before opening the top just a little should come out. After awhile you'll become a pro at it.

·
Registered
795 Posts
If you are confident it is pretty full and you just want to top it off, I would think filling it from the top would work. Now it might require running the boat around and checking it again as you could still trap air in between the old and new oil.

·
Registered
179 Posts
definitely no other way to do it.filling from the top will just trap air in the outdrive which will cause expencive repairs. Leaving the top plug in and removeing the bottom one first, hooking up the screw in adapter hose and pump in the bottom, and then removing the top one. After filling replace the top one first. Two notes. The adapter hose and pump are very inexpencive, way less messy, make the job very easy, saves expencive gear lube oil, and you will have again for next year. Also when filling it up I pump the air out of the tube before I hook it up to the outdrive

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE(PocketChange @ Jul 2 2009, 09:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you are confident it is pretty full and you just want to top it off, I would think filling it from the top would work. Now it might require running the boat around and checking it again as you could still trap air in between the old and new oil.
That's what I was thinking, but the service manual says to add from the bottom. I'm guessing I have at least 30 of the 32oz. capacity (also in the manual) in there, but others have said they needed around 40oz. to fill them. The capacity on the ones with the plastic lube oil monitor/resevoir is 54oz., but I don't have that. I think I'll play it safe and add from the bottom, unless someone says they are certain it's OK to add 2-4 oz. from the top.
Thanks for all the quick responses.

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
QUOTE(1ProudDad @ Jul 2 2009, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(PocketChange @ Jul 2 2009, 09:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you are confident it is pretty full and you just want to top it off, I would think filling it from the top would work. Now it might require running the boat around and checking it again as you could still trap air in between the old and new oil.
That's what I was thinking, but the service manual says to add from the bottom. I'm guessing I have at least 30 of the 32oz. capacity (also in the manual) in there, but others have said they needed around 40oz. to fill them. The capacity on the ones with the plastic lube oil monitor/resevoir is 54oz., but I don't have that. I think I'll play it safe and add from the bottom, unless someone says they are certain it's OK to add 2-4 oz. from the top.
Thanks for all the quick responses.

I suppose you could add oil from the top only with some sort of a oil squirt can (allowing air to escape), BUT, why risk the death of your outdrive? Get it wrong, and you'll have a whole lot more mess.

Good luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE(motorman @ Jul 2 2009, 09:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>definitely no other way to do it.filling from the top will just trap air in the outdrive which will cause expencive repairs. Leaving the top plug in and removeing the bottom one first, hooking up the screw in adapter hose and pump in the bottom, and then removing the top one. After filling replace the top one first. Two notes. The adapter hose and pump are very inexpencive, way less messy, make the job very easy, saves expencive gear lube oil, and you will have again for next year. Also when filling it up I pump the air out of the tube before I hook it up to the outdrive
Thanks Motorman. You described the exact procedure I envisioned, so I'll go that route. I probably need a little more practice to quickly make the plug/pump switch, but I'll survive spilling a little in the drain pan to do the job right. Thanks for the advise on getting the air out of the tube as well. Might not have done that.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Here is how they do mine:

Remove both plugs and fill from the bottom. When you see oil coming out of the top vent hole put the plug back in with a new O ring. If you continue to keep pressure on the bottom plug it will fill your reservoir to the operating range. Just make sure the cap is off the reservoir while you are doing this and keep your eye on it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts