Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It does not seem to be a premium place to go fishing, but has anyone been fishing at Stoney lately? I am thinking about going over there to give it a shot.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I fished Stoney the last three Saturdays. I know there are some nice fish in there however I haven't scored many yet. So far I caught 3, 16" bass and 3, 10-13" crappie.

Saw a 20 pound channel cat caught last summer, heard of some really nice pike taken there, and the state record black (maybe white) crappie comes from there also. Lots of crappie and they run big. There are 5 pound bass and also walleye there too.

It's really weedy and I can't give you any good advice on how to fish it, I'm trying to learn now. Maybe someone can give me a few tips as well. I think it's worth fishing if you can figure it out. Check out the DNR website and get a map, it always helps.

Don

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats really interesting that they have big crappie there and Walleye. Id love to catch either one! Ive only caught blue gills out of there, around the perimeter. I never really had the understanding and still dont of fishing the deep water or just the middle of the lake. Its funny I am usually a shore fisherman, and when I go out in a boat I still fish the shore just from the opposite side, and mayeb the shores I couldnt get to.

Well thanks Don , it look like a lot of people looked at this so far, but no one except for you posted . So any news or thoughts are likely appreciated by more than just me

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
According to the"sportman's connection map book" crappie can be caught around a old fish shelter (2 of them) placed just north of the boat ramp, around the point. Also , both sides of the south dam for walleye.The north dam and off oak grove picnic area, are walleye spots.I've seen and caught some real good size pike ice fishing out there as well as a few jumbo perch

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
QUOTE(Wishin2bFishin @ Jun 11 2009, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(DR.hook @ Jun 11 2009, 06:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>yes it was we where in a blue smoker craft

Thats funny I was on the shore over to the east of you where it cuts in. I watched someone on that boat catch it and then I think the guy with the 2 dogs south of you was yelling to you.

yes that was us he wasn't yelling he was asking about the fish.......

that was here first fish she kick my butt out there that day.......

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
QUOTE(Wishin2bFishin @ Jun 11 2009, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(DR.hook @ Jun 11 2009, 06:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>yes it was we where in a blue smoker craft

Thats funny I was on the shore over to the east of you where it cuts in. I watched someone on that boat catch it. I think it wasnt you though because I heard some loud screaming it was funny

i think it was the wife yelling and sreaming she has a tendency to do that...

·
LSCN Sponsor since 12/07
2,539 Posts
The most fun I've ever had at Stoney was with buzzbaits, or with topwater frogs like a Yum Buzz Frog. Fish them over the grass near the outside edge. You'll get some nice largemouth (and pike) this way. The other option for largemouth is to go into the weeds with jigs and worms, but that can get frustrating in a hurry. They WILL come out of the grass to hit topwaters though, especially if it's overcast.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Caught these in Mid April before the spawn. They should be pretty much done spawning now so your best bet is deeper water along weed edges. Im actually thinking of heading out there sometime this weekend to chase the Crappie around a little bit with some Pike casting in the middle of the day. There are Big Fish in that lake you just have to find them. The 2 big ones in the pic were 17'' and 15 1/2''. Theres a shallow bay on the west side that I would think would hold lots of largies and Pike. Im sure I will be able to get on some fish somewhere. I will report when I get back.

Food Seafood Fish Plant Cuisine
Food Vertebrate Fish Fin Marine biology
Fisherman Smile Fish Fishing Ray-finned fish

Attachments

·
Registered
838 Posts
QUOTE(PelicanKayaker @ Jun 11 2009, 11:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Man, i still get the chills when i see that thing, lol.

Lol hopefully I can get my mount soon. I cant wait to add that one to the collection. Fish of a lifetime for sure. I'm very proud of that one. Anyone that knows crappie knows 17'' is a absolute pig. It would be the equilavent of a 56'' 50lb musky or a 8lb bass I would think.

·
Registered
735 Posts
QUOTE(---FISHON--- @ Jun 11 2009, 11:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(PelicanKayaker @ Jun 11 2009, 11:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Man, i still get the chills when i see that thing, lol.

Lol hopefully I can get my mount soon. I cant wait to add that one to the collection. Fish of a lifetime for sure. I'm very proud of that one. Anyone that knows crappie knows 17'' is a absolute pig. It would be the equilavent of a 56'' 50lb musky or a 8lb bass I would think.

i get the chills too. what was i thinking when i thought a 14 incher that i caught was a monster

·
Registered
838 Posts
QUOTE(soule @ Jun 11 2009, 11:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>\i get the chills too. what was i thinking when i thought a 14 incher that i caught was a monster

14''er is a monster. Up until that fish, 13 1/2'' was my biggest crappie ever and I fish for them pretty hard in the summer. Anything over 12'' is a nice crappie. That 15 1/2 was an absolute monster. My buddy still gets pissed when we talk about it lol the 15''er he caught would have been talked about for years just so happens I pull in the 17''er in the same trip.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts