Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Stony yesterday for the first time this year. Caught 4 gills and kept 3 of them. Caught 3 crappies and kept all 3. Biggest crappie was a beautiful 13 incher. Caught an undersized pike about 19 inches. Lake is getting weed choked already in the spots that I prefer to do my bass fishing. Caught all of the fish yesterday near the south dam in around 15 FOW. Water was clean, but lot of weeds all the way to the surface in up to 7 feet of water. Will not be back there this season. Good for canoe or kayak after it gets full of weeds. Will be ok in the deeper water with a boat and motor, but will be tough to get to the deeper water very soon with those darn weeds.

·
Registered
220 Posts
When they first built that Park / Lake the water was weed free. In about five years it had normal weeds (Lilly Pads & Coontail) just on the edges. Then some careless boaters brought in Hydrilla hanging from their boat trailers, the rest is history. They have tried using the weed harvester and it made them grow thicker, they do a draw down every fall and that hasn't been successful . I hate to say it but they need to spray weed killer to open up the water.
Just my opinion........

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When they first built that Park / Lake the water was weed free. In about five years it had normal weeds (Lilly Pads & Coontail) just on the edges. Then some careless boaters brought in Hydrilla hanging from their boat trailers, the rest is history. They have tried using the weed harvester and it made them grow thicker, they do a draw down every fall and that hasn't been successful . I hate to say it but they need to spray weed killer to open up the water.
Just my opinion........
Just my opinion........
I agree with you. Spray the weed kileer even if it destroys the fishing for a few years, so we can once again enjoy the lake some day. It just gets worse every year now. The park itself is a beautiful park, and the lake can be beautiful once again with weed control.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Unfortunately the weed killer won't take care of the problem. The weeds will come back again. Many lakes treat every year for the same kinds of weeds. I would suggest what I've seen work best in these types of lakes. Treat sections of the lake at time. Don't do the whole lake at once. Especially in the summer it can suck the oxygen right out of the water and cause a big fish kill. We have some reservoirs that don't have boat access around me and they have invasive weeds. Big culprit is water foul. They do a good job of transporting seeds as well. No real good answer, or I'm sure it would have been done on a lot of other lakes by now.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately the weed killer won't take care of the problem. The weeds will come back again. Many lakes treat every year for the same kinds of weeds. I would suggest what I've seen work best in these types of lakes. Treat sections of the lake at time. Don't do the whole lake at once. Especially in the summer it can suck the oxygen right out of the water and cause a big fish kill. We have some reservoirs that don't have boat access around me and they have invasive weeds. Big culprit is water foul. They do a good job of transporting seeds as well. No real good answer, or I'm sure it would have been done on a lot of other lakes by now.
I suppose that once those weeds take over, there is not much that can be one with the lake or it would have been down by now at Stony Creek Lake.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts