Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You are on a busy street and approached apologetically by a well-dressed stranger who asks for a dollar to catch the bus and make a phone call. He says he lost his wallet. What would you do?
If approached in the same way by a haggard-looking stranger claiming to be hungry and unable to find a job, what would you do?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Either scenario. If I have a couple of bucks, I'll give it to them.

You never know, they may be a millionaire trying to find a kind, caring person in this cold cruel world to leave their millions to.

Besides, either way, it really doesn't hurt to be kind.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I would probably give the couple of bucks to the well dressed person.

But for the other claiming it is for food. I would tell him/her lets hit the nearest restaraunt and I will buy your meal.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
Coming out of the State Theatre one time with a friend of mine, a "bum" walked up to us and asked for some money so he could get something to eat. We happened to be carrying some wrapped up pitas from Mr. Pita, who was catering the party inside, and offered them to him. He wouldn't take them.

·
Premium Member
21,452 Posts
I would give to the well dressed person. I used to give a little money to who ever asked, but got tired of knowing that the majority of the time they were going to pi$$ it away on drugs and booze. That's not helping them.

I agree with cotty, i would walk to the nearest restaurant and buy them a meal.

G

·
ever see pay it foreward?
the theory works for me.
so, yes i would for either one!
so some day i may need the same thing, kindness from a stranger.

ever been broke down on the side of a road???
thats when ya need some kindness from a stranger.
helped a lot of people too!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
For the first guy......I`d tell him to call 1-800-collect and arrange a ride...

For the second guy......Tell to find a nice resturaunt and hang out by the dumpster..

I DON`T DO STREET HAND OUTS TO ANY ONE !!!!!!!

I am very charitable but I learned a valuable lesson when I was a kid and will never forget it....

·
Registered
487 Posts
I've got meetings downtown on Thursdays every 2 weeks. I'm usually early so I like to grab a coffee and a fruit or date bar from the Avalon bakery. There is almost always a "homeless" person sitting outside asking for some cash. This guy has this spot as his corner and is always there and always the same routine, "Hey buddy, when you come out how about hookin' me up with some change? (then he yells((yes yellls)) I'm homeless, I'm hungry!!!) So the first time I brought him out a coffee and 2 date bars, but that wasn't obviously what he wanted. I told him I'd be glad to break some bread with him but I don't pass out cash anymore because I can't follow the cash to make sure the money is going where it's supposed to. We've got an understanding now, if he's hungry I'll bring him out a bar if it's cash for crack he stays sitting on his crack and doesn't hassle me. Guess how many times he asks me for food....0

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I once broke down in my car on my way back from Gaylord. I happened to have only a couple bucks on me. My oil filter came loose, and I blew all the oil out of my motor.
(this was before atm's were the norm)

A guy drove me into town, bought me 5 qts of oil. Drove me back. (Probably took him at least an hour.) I asked him for his address so I could repay him, told me to help someone else out.
I did get his name, and sent him a thank you basket after I found his address. (Accidentally sent it to his father!) Still talk to him now and then, and yes, I have "payed it forward" Sure, some people will buy booze, drugs, hookers, whatever with it, but some people are truly in need

·
Registered
387 Posts
I get hit up by bums all the time.

When they ask for food;
I show the direction to the nearest soup kitchen (Salvation Army)

When they ask to make a phone call;
I tell them friends are still able to accept collect calls from pay phones

When they ask for bus fare;
I offer them a ride (although, I play the role of 'crazy white guy' so they won't ever take me up on the offer)

A few weeks back ago, I was down in Miami for the boat show. I had some guy about 20 - 22 years old, healthy as an Olympic marathon runner, totally clean cut and well dressed asked for "a few dollars".

WTF? I've never been to a McDonalds where I've seen the manager say to an applicant: "We're just not hiring right now, come back in a few months."

The people who truly need help, are not the ones on the street asking for it.

If you are going to give money to anyone, give it to your local homeless shelters and / or food kitchens. Salvation Army is by far the best charity in the local Detroit area for helping the less fortunate out. When they hear about a house fire, the SA immediately sends out a relief truck for the firefights (coffee and donuts) and helps the displaced family look for temporary residence at either foster homes or shelters.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
QUOTE(pauligan @ Feb 23 2004, 02:43 PM)I don't give anybody money that approaches me. Though I have friends that do..

The ignore works well for me.
hey now... i only did that once and never to do it again..at least not at the same spot. hee hee!

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I'd give my cash to the first guy...second one take a hike. No need to expain why I think everyone summed up the reason already.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
i'd give to both. if the first guy is clean cut and dressed better. i think i would tend to believe him more. as far as getting a job a mcdonalds. they will not hire a person that is homeless. they need to have perm. adress and phone number. kind of hard to give a phone number if you are living on the street. plus most are not the cleanest people living on the street. big problem for the customers i bet...

·
Registered
409 Posts
Since I work in downtown Detroit, this happens to me daily - minus the well-dressed part.

Giving someone money would depend on where I was being asked and if I felt safe opening my wallet, purse, etc. to give the person money.

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
If the guy is clean cut and well dressed and not scuffed up or anything (like not attacked or in a fight)... don't you think he should have a dollar somewhere on his person... or in his wallet?

As a woman, I never trust any dude who approaches me.... it's all suspect... and the guys should know better than to go up to a single woman.

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
Sounds all great people,................BUT
It would really depend on my mood at the time.
If I felt generous, yes maybe, if i could see it was an emergency, of course, but just general hand out,.....all on my mood. and i am a d*ck

I pay enought axes, and my money is given to people who don't appreciate it and use it for not what it was intended for, all too often.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I'd do it if I had the money or change handy in my pocket. I wouldn't take my wallet out.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
good point travler, i didn't even think about that. i'd never pull out my wallet

1 - 20 of 34 Posts