Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experiences they would like to share about Stratos boats? I am looking at a 200 XL and test drove/fished one on a small inland lake today. How do they do on the big water when it is not so pleasant boating?

·
Formerly "FRL"
930 Posts
Hey Eric,

I personally don't own a Strato's boat but I have a lot of friends and family who do. I have road in many of them and I can honestly say they are a solid boat that handles well, fast hull, good ride and a reasonable price tag.

The biggest draw back is they are a bit cheaper on the craftsmanship of the trim, seats, carpets, etc. However this does not effect the overall performance of the boat or the craftsmanship of the hull design. They just seem to skimp a little on the trim, bells and whistles.

If I had my choices and money was not an issue than Triton would be my first choice, Ranger second and Bass Cat third. I really like the deeper boat, the bigger compartments and the larger livewell that you get in the Triton. I also think that Ranger has the best ride on rough water with Triton a close second.

If money is an issue I think Stratos is a solid boat it has a slightly cheaper price tag than the above mentioned boats with little drop off in overall performance.

Thats just my personal and honest opinion. I hope that you Strato's oweners out there don't take anything I said to heart.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hey Eric,

I have a 2001 19SS Extreme and I can honestly tell you the boat is solid. I have owned it for two years and have never had a problem with the boat. I think the ride is second to none in rough water and you would be very happy in a Stratos boat.

Wonderland Marine in Howel is the Stratos dealer in this area. I have been very happy with the way they have treated me and I am sure if you had any other questions they would be happy to help you out.

I wish you luck in your boat buying and if there is anything I can help you with, feel free to contact me.

George T

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have heard a lot of good things about Stratos boats in both performance and value. My recommendation is to shop around on the internet and call several different places to get quotes on exactly what you want. My experience is that boats in Michigan are quite a bit more than other states. To get the best price comparison on a Stratos, call C&O marine in TN 888-868-0361. Get a quote in writing and take it to your dealership of choice to match. Many dealers won't give quotes unless you are sitting in the showroom but I heard C&O will. Ask for Todd Morgan!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Eric,

My 20SSextreme has never let me down. I have to agree with ABA's comments that the bells and whistles don't match those of a Ranger but it's a quality boat. At least with the extreme series, I can't speak for the XL series. I'm a little biased but I've been out in some scarry stuff on Erie for tournaments and it handles awesome if you know how to run a boat in rough water. Not to mention Stratos Boats just catch more fish

Stratman

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have a 2004 Pro 201 XL with the Evinrude 225 HO. If you would like to go out one afternoon on Erie or St. Clair send me an email at [email protected] or call me at 734 516 6237. I would spend the extra money to get the 201, if you fish Erie and Clair most of the time.
As for quality, this boat is awesome, since Genmar took over Stratos, the quality is second to none. I sold my OMC owned 2000 Javelin and there is night and day differences in the craftsmanship. Don't tell people tell you otherwise. As for bells, they don't catch you more fish! The more bells, the more problem and things to go wrong.
I purchased mine at C and O Marine in Nashville and saved 10k. Call Todd Morgan at 615-797-4760, right now he has all of his 2004 Stratos priced to go.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have owned both Stratos and Javelin I was very happy with the performance on rough water. I live on Erie and have been out in all kinds of weather and ran with the best of them I'm happy with the boats. But the dealership (depends on what one) will be your biggest concern if warranty applies ask around before you buy in other words go out of state, trust me.

·
Registered
151 Posts
If you guys are buying boats out of state, who is servicing them? If the dealers service is the problem, how is the problem solved by purchasing out of state?

Josh

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have heard good things about the local stratos dealer (wonderland marine). I know several people who have purchased Stratos boats from them, and have been very satisfied. I don't understand why anybody would recomend an out-of-state dealer.

·
Registered
216 Posts
There is really nothing wrong with wonderland marine. Just very expensive! Dowd's 10K savings is probably close to the standard when you are talking a 20-21' w/ 225/250 combo. You could darn near buy a spare motor for the savings! Also, Wonderland will not turn you away just cause you didn't buy the boat from them. Wonderland is not alone! Most dealers in Michigan are overpriced. Just driving to Ohio will probably save a bunch of money.

·
Registered
467 Posts
My experience buying my boat from Wonderland was top notch. However, AFTER the sale (when you get service or need service) is another question. Just my experience...Just two weeks ago I left 2 calls with the service department to have some work done on the lower end and didn't have one call returned (took it somewhere else). This goes along with a few other experiences with them that were less than stellar.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Eric
Don't buy the balogna being served here! Stratos boats are fast, look good and are reasonably priced. The rest of the claims are complete B.S.
I have owned 2. My latest is a 21SS Extreme. My tournament fishing partner has owned 3. They DO NOT have a good ride in rough water. They are bricks. No different than a Triton, Champion or Javelin. Javelin is the worst because the seats set forward in the boat.
Stratos boats fall apart easily as well. The gelcoat will crack the first time you hit a large wave. The transoms are weak also. Ask any Stratos owner how many times he has to tighten the motor mount bolts each season. I can tell you, every time you come off the water.
I believe Stratos boats are as good as any other if you are not running big water. Big water will destroy them in a hurry. Anyone that tells you different is either 1) a Stratos salesman or 2) never rode in a better quality boat.

My tourney partner purchased a 22 foot Ranger last year. By far, this is the best bass fishing boat ever built for big water. The ride is incredibly smooth. The Stratos will break your back, I promise. Ranger quality is second to none although they have some small details that need attention.

Take my advice. If you can afford it, buy a Ranger. You will not regret it. You will outrun all other boats when the water chop is 2 foot or more. All other brands will be bobbing up and down, riding the waves, you will be running at top speed. I have no vested interest either way but I thought you should here the truth before you purchase a boat.

As far a service goes, most marinas are the same. Some good service, some bad. They will all treat you like a king when you're in the salesroom. After you purchase the boat, you're just another number. Learn how to work on the boat yourself. Most of the time you have to re-do their work after their done. Boats are a money pit, be prepared to spend alot of money.

·
Registered
307 Posts
For 10K savings, and being handy with a wrench, I don't worry about warranty issues. When I bought my 201 from C and O Marine, I asked Todd about any warranty issues that might come up, if there would be a problem of him sending parts overnight to me, and he does. I have had 3 issues with the boat, and I received that parts ASAP and fixed the probelms myself. My motor problems are handled by Lockemans Hardware in Detroit, he has no problems fixing a motor I didn't purchase from him. In fact Lockemans handle alot of other dealers boats, last week he had 2 Stratos being repaired that were purchased from the local Stratos dealer.
These local dealers do not do the volume of business that the dealers down South do, hence the higher prices. C and O was moving 25 to 30 boats a week in the early Spring. When I picked up my boat in March, he had customers from all around the Midwest. When I got back from getting the boat, I received a call from Wonderland telling me they could have beat the deal C and O gave me. I then ask why they didn't beat the out the door price when I was in the dealership in Jan. of this year.

If you know what your doing and can use a wrench, save some money and buy it down South!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
mdclosso,

Visit the Detroit River Everstart this July and check out the line of Rangers getting serviced after a day on Erie. Ranger makes a good boat but your statements are completely exaggerated both ways. Ranger isn't that good and Stratos isn't that bad but you're entitled to your opinion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mark Dowd did not Save $10,000.00 on his boat. I gaurantee it. I was the Salesman he dealt with at Wonderland Marine West and I quoted him an Anniversary Special and thats not what he bought. The Anniversary Special is a much more expensive boat and he should stop spreading these rumors. Mark bought his Javelin hear and had some problems that gave him a bad attitude and we tried very hard to take care of his issues. I have Mutual friends with mark and was willing to give him a great deal on a new boat but he never gave me the chance. We are the number two Stratos Dealer in the Country selling around 80 boats a year, The Number 1 Dealer is in Pennsylvanyia. Call Stratos to confirm 615-895-5190. There is No possible way C&O was selling 20-30 Stratos boats a week when the #1 Dealer in the country sells 100 Stratos Boats a Year. Again more B.S. on the net.

Mark had a chance to save several thousand dollars here and he chose to go out of state and now must go elsewhere for his repairs. I suggest you do some real research before buying a bought. Not just some hear say on the internet. There is problems everywhere you go but having a good attitude gets you much farther than ranting and raving when there is a problem. Being this big of a dealer with Stratos gives us a lot of pull with the factory to get things repaired unlike smaller dealers, also with our buying power I gaurantee we will beat anyones price from anywhere in the country.

For Real Personal service Call Chris Williams at Wonderland 1-800-226-3050

·
Registered
232 Posts
First, let me say that I am not a pro-staff member or affiliated with any boat brand or dealer.

I have experienced first hand the HELL of buying a new boat from out-of state. This dealer was near Nashville, TN, 10 hrs away. Right off that bat I had several serious issues with the boat and motor. Here in Michigan dealers for that brand of boat/motor would service it, but would put me behind all their boat customers in the repair line. After lot's of "trying to fix it myself" and wasting lot's of $$$ trying the wrong g thing (prop jackplate, etc) my only choice was to make a trip back down south to get the boat serviced.

At the time (2000) I did save some money buying down south, but I WOULD ABSOLUTELY ADVISE AGAINST BUYING A BOAT FROM A DEALER THAT IS MORE THAN FEW HOURS DRIVE AWAY. How much is staying on the water fishing, rather that fixing your boat worth to you? I have since sold that boat and bought a new Ranger (I don't wan to get into the brand debate) from a local dealer. I have had my boat repaired since and have been fairly happy.

If you've got any specific questions, email me,

Vic

·
Registered
419 Posts
Let me say also I am not a pro staffer or a sales man for any boat or motor manufacturer. I have just been fishing tournaments for over 20 years now and have riden in every make and model on the market. Statos boats have gotten better in recent years and they are a quality boat.
First let me say big water will bust up any boat eventually, but how long will they last before they start to crack and need repairs. For my money Ranger used to be the best built boat on the market but they have evan cheapened up over the last few years. Don't get me wrong they are still a good boat but all the companies are getting gready, they are cheapening the boats and charging more.
I was looking to buy a new boat this year but almost had a heart attack when they gave me a quote of 45,000 dollars on a 20' with a 225 oppti. I also got a quote from a dealer in North Carilina for the same boat and it was 8200 dollars cheaper. I decided to keep my boat 1) because it is payed for, 2) because I have had no major problems with it and last but not least I WILL NOT PAY 40,000 DOLLARS FOR A BASSBOAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
On the dealers in this area: some are good and some are not worth -----!

My advise to you is to buy from out of state(because everything is about dollars and cents now), and learn to work on your own boat and motor.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Let me say also I am not a pro staffer or a sales man for any boat or motor manufacturer. I have just been fishing tournaments for over 20 years now and have riden in every make and model on the market. Statos boats have gotten better in recent years and they are a quality boat.
First let me say big water will bust up any boat eventually, but how long will they last before they start to crack and need repairs. For my money Ranger used to be the best built boat on the market but they have evan cheapened up over the last few years. Don't get me wrong they are still a good boat but all the companies are getting gready, they are cheapening the boats and charging more.
I was looking to buy a new boat this year but almost had a heart attack when they gave me a quote of 45,000 dollars on a 20' with a 225 oppti. I also got a quote from a dealer in North Carilina for the same boat and it was 8200 dollars cheaper. I decided to keep my boat 1) because it is payed for, 2) because I have had no major problems with it and last but not least I WILL NOT PAY 40,000 DOLLARS FOR A BASSBOAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
On the dealers in this area: some are good and some are not worth -----!

My advise to you is to buy from out of state(because everything is about dollars and cents now), and learn to work on your own boat and motor.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts