Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not been to Strawberry Island since I was a kid with my parents. I was thinking about heading out there one weekend with some friends who are here for a year from Germany (who will be at Jobbie with me)... They wanted to go to a nice island where we could hang out and not get as crazy as at the moot...

Is there anything to watch out for around the island? ie rocks, or obstructions or is is pretty nice and sandy around there still?

·
LSCN Sponsor
6,427 Posts
QUOTE(XAM Dan @ Jun 23 2004, 02:31 PM)I have not been to Strawberry Island since I was a kid with my parents. I was thinking about heading out there one weekend with some friends who are here for a year from Germany (who will be at Jobbie with me)... They wanted to go to a nice island where we could hang out and not get as crazy as at the moot...

Is there anything to watch out for around the island? ie rocks, or obstructions or is is pretty nice and sandy around there still?
I also went there with my parents when I was young. Now they tell me, my parent only went there because it 'sounded nice'! Between the bugs, the waves & the rough bottom, I'd recommend Bouvier Bay (Munchies) as a MUCH better alternative!

·
Registered
211 Posts
I just went there BUGS and Waves are bad.
Head to Bouvier Bay (Munchies). No waves
warmer water also. Only disadvantange it
might be futher for you.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't mind the drive, I'm at Beacon Cove, so it's not to far from there. I Just wanted someplace a little tamer to take my friends one of the weekends coming up...

Thanks for the info

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
I would suggest Munchies as well over Strawberry going by what you are looking for.

Waves come and go, but the bugs are forever.

·
Registered
280 Posts
i am going to try there next weekend, i will be coming from metro, can someone lend some directions?
anything i need to watch out for?
what is the average depth?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
both munchies and strawberry are VERY busy and boats are everywhere, I would suggest Goose bay, very quiet and not many people in there, I dont know what your running but if youve got out-drives then you'll be able to get in easy, just wath your water, or you might be able to get in from the snye if you know your way, thats how i go.

hope you guys have fun where ever you end up

·
Registered
530 Posts
seaway is much better than gull, nice sandy bottom, quiet atmosphere, etc. you would need a good anchor or two for what freighters drive right next to the island.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Dan:
We too, take a lot of German friends out boating (my hubby is from Germany). Are your German friends working here, or students?
I, too, went to Strawberry as a kid. It hasn't changed much. The beach is small and you have to walk a LONG way to get to the beach. (unless you have an outboard or jet boat).
Metro Beach is good for having a picnic and people-watching. But if you want to go swimming, maybe Muscamoot or Goose Bay would be better. Seaway and Peche Islands are both really nice, but at Seaway you risk getting hassled and if you go to Peche you have to call in on the Canadian mainland. If you have foreigners w/o green cards with you, there might be a problem (like you might have to wait for them to come and interview you personally, or something) Not sure how that works.
Have fun!!
Joyce

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(Joyce @ Jun 24 2004, 01:26 PM)Dan:
We too, take a lot of German friends out boating (my hubby is from Germany). Are your German friends working here, or students?
I, too, went to Strawberry as a kid. It hasn't changed much. The beach is small and you have to walk a LONG way to get to the beach. (unless you have an outboard or jet boat).
Metro Beach is good for having a picnic and people-watching. But if you want to go swimming, maybe Muscamoot or Goose Bay would be better. Seaway and Peche Islands are both really nice, but at Seaway you risk getting hassled and if you go to Peche you have to call in on the Canadian mainland. If you have foreigners w/o green cards with you, there might be a problem (like you might have to wait for them to come and interview you personally, or something) Not sure how that works.
Have fun!!
Joyce
They are here for a year to work. I work for a German company, so they frequently send people over for a year or two to get international experience... They are so amazed that we have a "giant" lake right in out backyard... Then after they see that I take them up to my cottage in Lexington and show them a real lake
. We have been to Metro and I plan on taking them to the moot to show them how we party on the lake, but they also wanted to sit on a beach for a while one of these weekends. I would take them to Peach or Seaway (we went there a lot two when I was younger because I like to play in the "tide" the freighters created, but I didn't want to deal with them being foreginers and having to bring their working papers and all that stuff with them...

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
QUOTE(Laguna @ Jun 23 2004, 05:00 PM)both munchies and strawberry are VERY busy and boats are everywhere, I would suggest Goose bay, very quiet and not many people in there, I dont know what your running but if youve got out-drives then you'll be able to get in easy, just wath your water, or you might be able to get in from the snye if you know your way, thats how i go.

hope you guys have fun where ever you end up
Where is Goose Bay at?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
to the left of the middle channel, betweent he middle channel and the snye, on the other side of strawberry island basically. If you want to get into goose you can either come out the snye form the north channel (which follows the back of strawberry island...basically) and the snye lets you off right in goose bay, it can be a tricky channel though if you dont know it and arent farmiliar with how to do it. Ill try and draw it up on a chart where goose bay is an how to get in on the lake, you shouldnt have a problem if you wanted to, especially with these higher water levels. Goose is very nice and quiet and calm, especially if you go in deep about half way, and go all the way to the right there are very few little private cottages on little islands, and it is sandy as can be. Thats where we go everyday, and we go in on the jetskis too through fisher bay, its a nice ride

1 - 13 of 13 Posts