Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who owns Strawberry Island? What is on it? Can you camp on it? I would like to do a boat to camp weekend.

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Bass

I am not sure if ANYONE owns it. But as a kid spent some time out there and also have heard of peeps recently spending time that also!

Go for it!

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
I had heard that someone owns that island and that it probably isn't a good idea to stay there. Seaway or Gull I believe are the only two options.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
Or else Sand Island.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
If anchoring or docking in Canadian waters you need their permission. the Indians over by Seaway have rights (supposedly) over what goes on, too.

At one time I had a pamphlet from the Indians over there about what you can and cannot do. I'll have to dig around on my boat and see if I still have it.

As for Strawberry it has always been my understanding that it is privately owned. I wouldn't stay. I've never seen anybody camping out there either.

Yeah, you can stay on Sand Island if you want to get beat up all night.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
you'd kinda wet camping at Sand Island...

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
The rumor is that Strawberry is privately owned. I would aim for Gull to be safe. Our islands are vanishing rapidly!

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(spacelord @ Aug 5 2004, 12:14 PM)you'd kinda wet camping at Sand Island...
Sleeping with the fishes.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Not sure if tent camping is allowed, but we have stayed overnight on Peche Island (Canadian) and it was really nice. Deserted, fire pits all over the island, and toilets.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
If you have never been to Kelly's Island near Put-in bay that is a pretty cool spot and more for a quieter family adventure. There is even a mini grand canyon there where a glacier went across it a million years ago, not sure if they have a camp ground or not but they may ? If you get bored there it's a hop skip and a jump from put-in bay and cedar point !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts