Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Friday the 19th while fishing @ metro I remember one particular perch spine ing me . ( you know when they stiffing up and the dorsal looks like a spoke fan ).
I must of got it in tip of my finger while i tried to get the jig out of his throat.
No big deal, being a machinist for over 30 years am use to digging steal slivers out of the hands all the time. some times 3 or 4 days later till it fesses up .
Well that evening at the local watering hole, my finger felt like i had ran a sliver up underneath the nail, but I can`t see anything, not remembering that fish earlier that day. Now the finger tip was starting to throb and refuse to let me sleep.
The next day i still can`t figure out what the heck is going on.
it`s turning blue under the nail and am now popping aspirin and soaking the darn thing.
After 5 days, finally the thing fester up. and i was able to remove it.
clear pcs of what look like dorsal spine. I can`t believe that that little deal caused that much discomfort.
We all have pulled a treble hook out of the palm or finger, but a fish dorsal prick ?

Like to here any similar stories seeing how the fishing is turned off this week.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
After handling fish in a bass tournament circuit for the better part of 3 years you get stuck by MANY MANY MANY MANY smallmouth!!!!! The worst one I ever got was on my foot after I dropped a fish and tried to cushion its fall before it hit the stage. Must have been 1/4 long on my big toe. Hurt like...well you know. Actually did a tournament with over 200 boats once. Almost every angler had 5 fish too. 10 per boat....do the math!!! Smallmouth dont give up at the weigh scales either!!! Lol

Luckily I am not "allergic" or have any sensitivities to the fins. I do know people that swell up like mad after being stuck, some immediately. I eventually got it out but let me tell you wearing shoes the day before I could get it out was terrible. I would never let them sit until they festered though....

I do know that under the fingernail is BAD too. The best way I found (for me anyway) was to soak the effected area until the skin became extremely soft....then start digging! lol

·
Registered
383 Posts
Walleye gill plates are no picnic either, there serrated and if you handle them enough, its impossible to not get sliced up. Small price to pay for the tastiest fish in our waters.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I FEEL YOUR PAIN...

MONDAY I HAD A 2/0 SICKLE HOOK GET JAMMED UNDER MY FINGER NAIL ABOUT 1/8" OMG!!

HOWEVER, THAT DIDN'T HURT NEARLY AS BAD AS GETTING STUNG IN A FEW FINGERS BY MY LION FISH. MY HAND FELT LIKE IT WAS ON FIRE. IT TOOK 2 SECONDS TO SWELL UP. I HAD INTENSE PAIN ALL THE WAY TO MY SHOULDER FOR A GOOD HOUR AND A HALF.

SINCE THEN, I HAVE BEEN FEEDING MY 3' SHARK BY HAND...ISN'T THAT SMART!! LOL...WON'T BE LONG BEFORE HE BITES ME....

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I was holding up a 10 pound channel cat for a picture once, and right after my cousin took the pick it thrashed and stabbed me in the chest. Channel cats have poison glands on their dorsal and pectoral fins, hurt for the next couple days. The bones in those fins are like steel too, extremely hard and sharp as a needle. Needless to say ive been careful since, lol.

·
Registered
383 Posts
ah yes. check this one out: about a month and a half ago, i dumped a bucket full of sunnies/perch out to clean. something stuck me just above the nail on my pinky on my right hand. it hurt like crazy. the next couple days, it didnt stop hurting. i soaked it, squeezed it(painfull) and had to baby it at work. it was just red and kind of irritated, not infected looking or anything, so i just dealt with it. if i hit it a certain way though, it felt like a bee sting all the way up my hand to my elbow. about a month goes by of me dealing with this and i looked real close and saw a white dot right by the spot. it just looked like a little hang-nail or something, but i got the clippers and grabbed it. i pulled a 3/8" clear spike out of my finger. that damn thing was in there for a month. i guess im lucky it didnt get all nasty and it sure felt good to get that thing out. i considered mounting it. but then i figured for all the fish ive stuck, one getting me back aint so bad.

·
Registered
731 Posts
[quote name='PelicanKayaker' date='Feb 24 2010, 10:40 PM' post='983830']
I was holding up a 10 pound channel cat for a picture once, and right after my cousin took the pick it thrashed and stabbed me in the chest. Channel cats have poison glands on their dorsal and pectoral fins, hurt for the next couple days. The bones in those fins are like steel too, extremely hard and sharp as a needle. Needless to say ive been careful since, lol.

OMG...STAY AWAY FROM STINGRAYS PELICAN!!

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
A little tip for you if you ever run into a PETA person or an animal activist that condemns fishing. You know the people that think its cruel and inhumane to stick a fish with a needle sharp hook....

CALMLY ask them if they have ever felt the dorsal fins of any fish while they are extended. Then explain to them that the dorsal fins of just about any fish are sharper than any hook man has ever made. And there are multiple "points" on each dorsal fin. Now we have all seen the cartoons of the little fish getting eaten by the bigger fish. It is nature. Ask them if it is ok for the big fish to eat the little fish.....they will agree that it is ok, it's natural. Well the defense mechanism of that poor little fish is to open, or expand its fins and flare its gills in hopes that it wont get swallowed. This in turn will poke, prick, impale, stick, etc. the inside of the mouth of any predatory fish that decides to eat it UNLESS thebig fish gets the little fish to go down head first. Well in most cases the little fish wont just swim in head first and commit suicide, so it is safe to deduce that the big fish is getting stuck in ythe mouth repeatedly while eating. AND if the big fish had the brain power to feel pain, it would associate feeding with pain. Therefore it would never eat....and I have never met a fish that doesnt eat! The fish get stuck more times eating by a point sharper than any man could manufacture and with multiple points each time it eats. My one or two hooks per bait DO NOT damage, hurt, cause pain or stress to any fish unless the hook is swallowed. Which at that point it is usually a good idea to cut out the hook if you plan to release the fish, if you plan on keeping the fish to harvest the natural resource that hs been afforded to us (much like the lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, etc. that the pagan PETA people advocate).

So are we really doing any harm to the fish by impaling it with a hook? They cannot feel "pain" when stuck, or else they would never eat. They jump trying to "throw" the hook just like they would jump to try and dislodge a fish that is is stuck and sticking in the their mouth. Besides the fight of the fish is good excersize for them

carry on!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Stepped on a dorsel fin with sandel on a fish with poisonous barb while removing the hook in Fla. Foot was size of a football. Told the Hospital it didnt hurt anymore. he informed that I can come back and have my leg removed later or he can take the poisonous barb out Now. I agreed. Most painful fishin experience ever

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
I was once stuck by a bluegil & my finger hurt for several days after.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
So, are you guys saying that the pain from these fins is from the slime on them, or is there an actual part of the fish that stays in you. I've been stuck alot of times but I don't ever remember pulling anything out.

·
Registered
697 Posts
most of the stories include a peice of the fin spine breaking off and staying in the skin like a splinter which hurts bad enough, but those fish ain't clean, so infection is a possibility. never got a spine broken off and stuck in me, but i have got a hook in me on 2 separate occasions past the barb and had to force it back through again to cut the barb off and remove it

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Right in front of a walleye`s gill plate is a razor sharp edge and I mean RAZOR sharp. I was once removing a HotnTot from the jaw of a hooked wally and the fish flinched and sliced me wide open from the razor sharp plate. I was bleeding profusely. I could have probably got stiches but I had a good first aid kit on board and taped myself up and kept on fishing. That hurt like the dickens. Be aware of the sharp plate in front of the gill plate.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts