Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I have to ask this.

Last year we were out on a friend's boat and went to Gull during the week for some fun and a BBQ on the stern. He had a propane BBQ that was mounted on the stern rail. As we had been anchored and out relaxing and swimming most of the day, it was one of those high 90's days, as I got near the gas vent, I could small gas fumes coming from the vent from warm, evaporating gas in the tank as it breathed. He had the grill going like it was nothing and I wondered, is there a concern about the grill flame and the gas fumes and going on the cover of some boating insurance company flyer about "While grilling on the water.... fire claim number #######"? or is this something normal as the gas fumes went straight to the water level and the propane grill was up high on the stern (there was NO odor anywhere near hear) and the propane created a forced gas, controlled burn?

As I said, a stupid question, but one I have curious about, expecially since we are thinking about gettting one for our boat this season.

·
12,052 Posts
Put the grille next to the vent and let us know what happens.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I won't grill on the boat myself - having an open fire on my pride and joy just doesn't interest me. And I think your question isn't stupid at all.

But I began to see something last year that looks like a great idea. A few guys in Munchies Bay started bringing homemade wooden tables with legs just long enough to keep the surface about a foot above the water. After pushing the legs in the sand, each guy set a portable propane camp grill on his table and started cookin'. Man, that smell was mouthwatering!

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
QUOTE(PyrateJim @ Mar 7 2003, 09:39 AM)Okay, I have to ask this.

Last year we were out on a friend's boat and went to Gull during the week for some fun and a BBQ on the stern. He had a propane BBQ that was mounted on the stern rail. As we had been anchored and out relaxing and swimming most of the day, it was one of those high 90's days, as I got near the gas vent, I could small gas fumes coming from the vent from warm, evaporating gas in the tank as it breathed. He had the grill going like it was nothing and I wondered, is there a concern about the grill flame and the gas fumes and going on the cover of some boating insurance company flyer about "While grilling on the water.... fire claim number #######"? or is this something normal as the gas fumes went straight to the water level and the propane grill was up high on the stern (there was NO odor anywhere near hear) and the propane created a forced gas, controlled burn?

As I said, a stupid question, but one I have curious about, expecially since we are thinking about gettting one for our boat this season.
If this was me, I would be very concerned. It was only luck that the gas fumes went down to the water. They don't always go down! Would it cause an explosion? Most likely not, but it wouldn't be a chance I would take. The gas fumes coming out of the vent tube would most likely burn like a small tourch out the end. For the flames to get to the gas tank they would have to travel down the vent tube, which wouldn't happen as there would be no oxegen in the tube. But the flames burning at the end of the vent tube, which is most likely plastic, would start to melt down to the gas tank and then watch out!

Just be careful to where you have open flames on a boat!

·
Registered
125 Posts
The BoatUS magazine/newsletter thing had a article concerning this subject an issue or 2 ago. If you have a Magma grill or another one that uses the small propane tanks you should never store the tanks inside your boat as they will vent above a certain temperature and propane is heavier then air so it will settle in the bilge, not vent out the boat. You should store them in either a compartment that is vented overboard such as a water drain or on a bag on the one of your railings. If you have a CNG stove the fuel is lighter then air so it is a little safer but a big pain taking the tank out and finding someplace to fill it.

I doubt there is much danger from the can venting while the stove is operating because the gas is heavier then air and the flame is a few inches away.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts