Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lake sturgeon are the ONLY sturgeon species endemic to the Great Lakes basin and are the largest freshwater fish indigenous to that system. Lake sturgeon can be considered a nearshore, warmwater species with water temperature and depth preferences of low 50's to mid-60 degree and 15-30 feet, respectivelyl Lake sturgeon are benthivores, feeding on small invetebrates such as insect larvae, crayfish, snails, clams, and leeches.

sexual maturity in females is reached between 14 and 33 years, most often from 24-26 years; and, 8 to 12 years for males ( but may take up to 22 years );

female lake sturgeon spawn once every 4 to 9 years while males spawn every 2 to 7 years;

spawning occurs on clean, gravel shoals and stream rapids from APRIL - JUNE in preferred water temperatures of 55 - 64 degrees;

female lake sturgeon lay 4,000 to 7,000 eggs per pound of fish;

growth rates are quite variable throughout its range and depend on temperature, food availability, and water quality;

the typical life-span of lake sturgeon is 55 years for males and 80 - 150 years for females.

As a consequence of interrupted spawning cycles, only 10 - 20% of adult lake sturgeon within a population are sexually active and spawn during a given season.

Also czar's camera idea is important because for the money they plan on this project in the Detroit River, it would be a good idea to make sure there not just feeding caveare?( spelling ) to the gobi's and other fish. They can turn the camera off during the mating to give them privacy..lol Also for future projects like this.

h2o<----mac, hope this helps

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
....Cool...Great info,..thanks!! so if they spawn at 55-64deg...then there's a chance that the smallies could be spawning at the same time and Mini's question could be legit,....will the smallies take over that new reef???
Guess we'll find out soon enough!!

Mac

Here's a visual for you!!!...Picture yourself as a smallie just layin' around guarding your bed,...life is good... and all the sudden a gigantic sturgeon comes cruising over and stops a foot over your head,....you get nervous
,...you're thinking,."Holy [email protected]$#
..I can't run this thing off,..it's waaay too big and I'm in HER bed!! YIKES!!"...all of the sudden there's this rumbling sound of thunder,.....her belly starts twitching and bulging and all of the sudden 30 pounds of "slimey gooey BB's" come raining down on your world!!
.....That would be like the Good Year blimp cruising over at tree top level and the damn thing stops over your head and the bottom opens up and 5000 lbs of CREAMED CORN comes raining down on you!!!
......THE HORROR!!!!.... Man,..If I was that smallie,..I'd never spawn again!! I'd be ruined!!

(sorry for the visual.....it's just the cartoonist in me lashing out!!)

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
I don't think they will be in conflict mac. Smallies like quite shallow bays for the spawn and a warmer prefered temperature.

That story about the sturgeon and smallie is so funny i can't stop laughing, good one Mac.. LOL!!!!!!

h2o<-----says Happy Holidays ppl.

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Smallies generally don't spawn in high current. But I have no scientific data (sorry DK had to take a shot) to back this up. I do know if a big sturgeon approached me while I was spawning, it would certiainly ruin the mood.

I would like the GPS coord's for some mid-summer drifting though!! But let's just keep that quite...ok?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts