Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Reading Nick J's post on his encounter with the monster sturgeon / catfish / carp / nessie that broke his 80 lb test. So what exactly do you fish for stugeon with? i know the season is not until october time-frame, but is catch and release ok? And where is this "north channel" place I hear people talking about?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
i have fished for sturgeon on the west coast and had good luck myself i liked dipping them in tempura and deep frying then they have no bones

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I believe C&R is only in Oct-Nov. Otherwise, if you want to fish for them, you need to purchase a tag during the regular season. I could be wrong thou..I just read some stuff on them last week so my memory could have faded.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Before fishing I would ask local DNR for info

Southfield Operations Service Center
26000 W. Eight Mile Rd.
Southfield, MI 48034
248-359-9040

Info I got from the Michigan fishing guide.
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/full...ds_272056_7.pdf

Lake Sturgeon Hook & line.

July 16 - September 30 Harvest season Min 42" Max 50" all other fish must be released immediately

October 1 - November 30 Catch and Release only.

Tag must be obtain from a retailer before fishing.

All harvested fish must be reported with in 24 hours.

North Channel is near Algonac

As for bait I don't know but for line I would say better than 80#

·
Registered
312 Posts
QUOTE(b_radici @ Jun 16 2009, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Reading Nick J's post on his encounter with the monster sturgeon / catfish / carp / nessie that broke his 80 lb test. So what exactly do you fish for stugeon with?

95% of the time, I use my Muskie Tackle. I fish 4 rods, 2 of the side of the boat, and 2 of the back of the boat. 10ft RP2 outrods for the side of the boat, and I use like a 6ft6in RP2 planer rod off the back of the boat. These usually have Tekota 600 or Tekota 700 for reels. These are spooled up with 40 pound test ande. I know of two different guys that have been spooled using Penn 209's. You can get away with using lesser stuff with any fish under 60 inchs, but when you do hook one over 60 inchs, it is going to test your tackle. I think the lowest grade reel that I would use would be a used Penn 330, anything above a penn 330 is safe. You could probable also get away with cheaper rods, I have seen $39 cat fish stiff poles that would work just as well.

I also use a 40 pound test Maxima Mono Leader for my hooks. Sturgeon skin is very abrasive. When they make a run away from you, since there mouths are on their underside, that leader ends up all along their body, and gets shredded up like you took sand paper to it. Check and replace leaders after every fish. Mono is more abrasion resistant, and will produce stronger knot strength. This is one instance where you do not need to use fluoro.

QUOTE(b_radici @ Jun 16 2009, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i know the season is not until october time-frame, but is catch and release ok?

No, you have to wait until the season opens up. You can not target a species out of season. Just like the Muskie anglers have to wait until the first saturday in June, Sturgeon anglers have to wait until July 16.

Also new this year, you have to get a Sturgeon Tag from the DNR (it is free, they just want to know how many people are fishing for sturgeon). I think you can get one where you purchase a regular fishing license.

QUOTE(b_radici @ Jun 16 2009, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>And where is this "north channel" place I hear people talking about?

North channel goes from the algonac boardwalk all they way down to grass island. There are lots of holes to anchor up in front of and drop your lines in. There is also a Sturgeon Angler that is fishing up towards Port Huron, and he is taking some large fish up there too. I also have heard of guys fishing the Canadian side, as there season was longer than ours was and they were catching fish over there. And there are a guy that fishes the Sni. North Channel is famous becuase it is one of two main spawning locations in the St. Clair River. But by the time we get to target them (july 16), they scatter quite a bit; by then there are probable sturgeon in every hole.

Here is my personal best, 64"x26":

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Nice fish Mymar!!!!! What did she weight? Looks 55-70lbs?

Question? Do you know anything about the CAN side? Looks like we can only fish for them in LSC now.

·
Registered
312 Posts
QUOTE(Large Mouth Peks @ Jun 16 2009, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nice fish Mymar!!!!! What did she weight? Looks 55-70lbs?

Question? Do you know anything about the CAN side? Looks like we can only fish for them in LSC now.

I really dont care about the weight. For me, it was all about getting a 60 incher. Now I want a 80 incher.
All of my scales would put the fish in a vertical hold, so it is just not worth it to get a weight. Length and Girth are fine for me. The DNR does have a PDF that shows estimated weight based on length/girth of fish.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/StCl...on_174130_7.pdf

This chart put it at 69 lbs.

The chart is great for an estimate, and it is alot less stress on the fish to get a length/girth as apposed to somehow weighing it. Even if you did weigh it, you are going to be off by a bit with that large of a fish.

I know that the DNR puts their fish in a rubbermaid like container. Then they weigh both the container and fish at the same time, then they deduct the known container weight. But they do this for scientific research.

IMO, Length and Girth are the perfect way to go with these fish.

LSC and SCR are both apart of FMZ 19.

Here is a PDF of FMZ 19: http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR_E001338.pdf

Lake Sturgeon Open Season
Jan. 1 to Apr. 30
& July 1 to
Dec. 31
S - 0
C - 0

This means that you can fish for them in those times, possession limit is 0.

One rod per person on the Canadian side of the river.

Also, another issue you get into is that usually you anchor to fish for sturgeon. This would mean you would be best to go over on the ferry and lanch, otherwise you get into all sorts of #%*@ if you leave be boat from the US and Anchor.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Nice fish mrymar and good tips. The way I understand, most guys use a gob of crawlers and/or several dead minnows.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Same as musky gear for me with 30lb Fireline or 30lb test mono. You can't just horse them in unless you are fishing with rope.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
QUOTE(little guy @ Jun 16 2009, 07:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nice fish mrymar and good tips. The way I understand, most guys use a gob of crawlers and/or several dead minnows.

A friend of mine uses this method. He loads as many crawlers as he can fit onto a big saltwater hook and a heavy sinker. He fishes from a dock in the north channel. Just throws it out and cracks a few beers. He usually fishes though the night. He's caught a few this way. His biggest is a little over 5'.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
QUOTE(mrymar @ Jun 16 2009, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Large Mouth Peks @ Jun 16 2009, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nice fish Mymar!!!!! What did she weight? Looks 55-70lbs?

I really dont care about the weight. For me, it was all about getting a 60 incher. Now I want a 80 incher.
All of my scales would put the fish in a vertical hold, so it is just not worth it to get a weight. Length and Girth are fine for me. The DNR does have a PDF that shows estimated weight based on length/girth of fish.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/StCl...on_174130_7.pdf

This chart put it at 69 lbs.

The chart is great for an estimate, and it is alot less stress on the fish to get a length/girth as apposed to somehow weighing it. Even if you did weigh it, you are going to be off by a bit with that large of a fish.

I know that the DNR puts their fish in a rubbermaid like container. Then they weigh both the container and fish at the same time, then they deduct the known container weight. But they do this for scientific research.

IMO, Length and Girth are the perfect way to go with these fish.

LSC and SCR are both apart of FMZ 19.

Here is a PDF of FMZ 19: http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR_E001338.pdf

Lake Sturgeon Open Season
Jan. 1 to Apr. 30
& July 1 to
Dec. 31
S - 0
C - 0

This means that you can fish for them in those times, possession limit is 0.

One rod per person on the Canadian side of the river.

Also, another issue you get into is that usually you anchor to fish for sturgeon. This would mean you would be best to go over on the ferry and lanch, otherwise you get into all sorts of #%*@ if you leave be boat from the US and Anchor.

TY Sir. I thought I had read that the 0 Possession on the DR on CAN side meant closed season for some reason. Ahh I knew better. Glad to hear it. I have a goal this year to target them and actually land one to snap a few pics. I got my spot all picked out and everything! lol

I don't blame ya for not weighing it, I was pretty much expecting a formula weight anyways. Great fish Mar!! Thanks for the info too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts