Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was happy last june july forget what month it was to land my 1st sturgeon, 44" a baby but was a great fight and wonderful fish to see.(I dont know how to get the pics of her off my phone I have tried everything emails forwaarding ect) Who has got one and who is in the hunt for one? I was not fishing for them maybe I was lucky as I hear. Are they the fish people go for all life long and some never acheive it? I know its early but its only a few months away. I myself never keep fish unless my buddies I go out with wanna keep them. I know that Sturgeon have to be huge to keep right? anyways looking forward to all the replys. Nick

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I myself would not keep them no matter how big they are. Wow such a small area of size to keep. Very nice pics of them sturgeon how big were they? One of them look just as big as mine was. And I guess these are babies? Dont they get like 8 feet? and also how big are the monsters in LCS and the rivers around here? Im guessing thats what I had when my line was cut, A monster!

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
wowza. Basstek, looks like you were fishing from shore for these guys? I heard that they are mainly located along the shipping channel due to the depth. Would love to get one of those at the end of my line.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My buddys dad has a cabin on the black river with in the refuge. Anyway the monsters come up to spawn and it is great to watch when the dam is shut the water is only 2-3 feet and clear and you can see them come by. I have seen big ones 5-7 feet I am guessing you can't touch them or go in the water by them and the DNR watch they walk up and down the river in waders to keep an eye on things.

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE(DR.hook @ Jan 26 2010, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(DaveS. @ Jan 26 2010, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>last spring on the dr, jiggin for eyes, this was my surprise. 8lb test, 52" at 35lbs, 40minute battle
incidental catches sure are fun
View attachment 71358

when are we going sturgen fishing dave??your the man when it comes to the river

Sturgeon are an endangered species in the Detroit River. There has been alot of thought and effort put into restoring the lake Sturgeon population and habitat in the last couple of years. It is an extremly fragile fishery. Accidental catches are one thing, but targeting them is counter productive and undermines all the conservation efforts put forth. Give them a break, maybe your grandkids will be able to catch a bunch.

·
Registered
654 Posts
QUOTE(busybee @ Jan 26 2010, 09:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(DR.hook @ Jan 26 2010, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(DaveS. @ Jan 26 2010, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>last spring on the dr, jiggin for eyes, this was my surprise. 8lb test, 52" at 35lbs, 40minute battle
View attachment 71358

Sturgeon are an endangered species in the Detroit River. There has been alot of thought and effort put into restoring the lake Sturgeon population and habitat in the last couple of years. It is an extremly fragile fishery. Accidental catches are one thing, but targeting them is counter productive and undermines all the conservation efforts put forth. Give them a break, maybe your grandkids will be able to catch a bunch.

NO KIDDING DUDE !! i dont like where this is going. unjustified statement. time to close this mods. always one in the crowd, if they only knew , just sick of it.. mods please close this .

·
Premium Member
19,196 Posts
QUOTE(busybee @ Jan 26 2010, 09:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(DR.hook @ Jan 26 2010, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(DaveS. @ Jan 26 2010, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>last spring on the dr, jiggin for eyes, this was my surprise. 8lb test, 52" at 35lbs, 40minute battle
View attachment 71358

Wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwrrrrong-O, there is a slot limit where you can get tags and harvest one sturgo per year. We even got one in the trap net survey with the DNR, I got to throw it back. The fishery is not fragile, not in danger, not in trouble WOW!!!! The sky is falling!!!! There is a lot of reasearch put into these fish, we do not need to excessivly harvest these great fish, and I for one WILL target these fish this year during the season the DNR has set, Thanks!!! Now this will be closed as requested via multiple PM's.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.