Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to reply to the Sturgeon topic the was posted earlier and it was locked. Why is that? I am new to the site and just would like to know...

I'm very interested in Sturgeon fishing and would appreciate any tips.. When is the season exactly? I don't have my guide in front of me? Is that the best time to catch them even if you don't wish to keep em? What's a good bait to use? A good location?...

Thanks guys

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
QUOTE(StClairHunter @ Jan 27 2010, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I tried to reply to the Sturgeon topic the was posted earlier and it was locked. Why is that? I am new to the site and just would like to know...

I'm very interested in Sturgeon fishing and would appreciate any tips.. When is the season exactly? I don't have my guide in front of me? Is that the best time to catch them even if you don't wish to keep em? What's a good bait to use? A good location?...

Thanks guys

It was locked by a moderator because it was heading in a direction that so many other posts have done lately. I don't have any tips for you but if a thread is locked that is the reason why.

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
QUOTE(StClairHunter @ Jan 27 2010, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I tried to reply to the Sturgeon topic the was posted earlier and it was locked. Why is that? I am new to the site and just would like to know...

Thanks guys

I never saw a sturgeon while ice fishing, but I do know that up north, on Mullet lake, they get really big ones through the ice with spears, and it's usually in February. They get HUGE ones there! You can probably Google it and get more info on the sturgeon fishing there if you wanted to.

·
3,236 Posts
I know that guys anchor at night on the SCR at various hot spots and drop down various baits including large gobs of nightcrawlers on a hook weighted down so it sits on the bottom. I have not personally fished for them though this is just what Ihave picked up from reading reports over the years. Attached is the Michigan regulations for sturgeon fishing.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
I watched on episode on michigan out of doors about it and they were in the st clair river at night and landed some monsters.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Season: July 15- Nov. 30th on the Great lakes and connecting waters. Catch and release only except for SCR and LSC (C&R from Oct1- Nov. 30th SCR and LSC) Catch and keep is July 15th -Sept 30th for SCR and LSC only. Limit one person and must be between 42-50"

Can be caught most anywhere on the river or channels. Some spots may contain more than others. but they are all over the river system. North channel is the favorite of many.

Most often a gob of crawlers is used on a slip rig (same as for catfish). Cut bait is also used. Good heavy equipment is also a good idea. You will battle a 50"er for 20-40 minutes of tug of war.

Many are caught while jigging for walleye (caught my first one that way).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts