Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever eat suckers?? I hear you can smoke them, but never tried doing that. I also hear they are great to pickle ( never tried that either).

I have fished for them in early spring (catch and release), but I hear they are in the rivers now.

I have somked salmon and Trout, I have a GREAT brine recipe called Brandy Candy, but I did several searches online and can't seem to find any for suckers. I know salmon and trout are oiler than suckers.

suckers are similar to whitefish. I know whitefish is popular in Canada, and often smoked.

any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
QUOTE(homerdave @ Jan 23 2010, 04:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Anybody ever eat suckers?? I hear you can smoke them, but never tried doing that. I also hear they are great to pickle ( never tried that either).

I have fished for them in early spring (catch and release), but I hear they are in the rivers now.

I have somked salmon and Trout, I have a GREAT brine recipe called Brandy Candy, but I did several searches online and can't seem to find any for suckers. I know salmon and trout are oiler than suckers.

suckers are similar to whitefish. I know whitefish is popular in Canada, and often smoked.

I tried to pickle suckers once. I got the recipe on line somewhere. I catch suckers in branches of the Clinton river in Utica and by Yates' cider mill and a few other places. The suckers that I pickled spoiled and I threw them out! I don't think the lids sealed properly, so make sure yours do if you try it. Its a vinagery (spelling???) brine I used to dissolve the bones since you "steak" the suckers into chunks rather than slab them into fillets. Keep me posted if you try it!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(b_radici @ Jan 23 2010, 04:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>do you mean carp? If not, can you post a pic of what you are talking about?

No not a carp, a sucker. A sucker is not the same as a carp!!!! obviousley you don't have a smoked or pickled recipe for a sucker.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I don't know what recipe you have, but you can smoke them like salmon.
I use 4 cups Kosher salt, 6 cups dark brown sugar, Disolve that in a 5 gal.
bucket 3/4 ful of water. Finely chop 1 large onion and 4 cloves of garlic.
when everything is disolved, put the fish in and let this sit overnight (about 12 hours)
Then smoke slowly not too hot for 8-10 hours.

·
Registered
156 Posts
QUOTE(homerdave @ Jan 23 2010, 04:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Anybody ever eat suckers?? I hear you can smoke them, but never tried doing that. I also hear they are great to pickle ( never tried that either).

i tried to smoke one, but couldnt get it lit!

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Check out the recipe forum use the smae recipe for the smoked sheepshead in there for sucker. And smoked sucker is phenomenal of done right

·
Registered
6,511 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks bowtiehater, we catch a lot of sheepshead in the lake and always throw them back. Maybe try too keep them one time (no) but makes a good picture

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
QUOTE(homerdave @ Jan 23 2010, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>thanks bowtiehater, we catch a lot of sheepshead in the lake and always throw them back. Maybe try too keep them one time (no) but makes a good picture
that actually was my recipe for suckers and I tried it on sheepshead and it worked great the only thing is keep the sheepshead in the brine longer than suckers. I leave suckers in for 24 hours and I leave sheepshead for 48 hours.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.