Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner

Suggestions for boat selection

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Mike Tuomey 
#1 ·
I am very interested in switching from my 19' Searay open bow runabout to a fishing boat.

I mainly fish St Clair, but also inland lakes. Drifting and trolling. However, i would also like the boat to be able to pull my 3 and 6 year old sons on tubes or waterskiing, so i am looking at a larger motor on the back (at least 70hp).

I like the boats with the steering counsel on the driver side and nothing for the passanger for a very open floor plan. Bow and back platforms. Deep V walleye type. Looking in the 16 to 18 foot range. Live well(s), plenty of storage to keep things uncluttered. Used boat somewhere in the neighborhood of $8 to $10K.

What types of comments/suggestions/pros & cons do you folks have regarding: boat size, boat type, motor size, metal or glass hull, manufactures to stay away from, or things to look for when purchasing a boat.

I see lots of bass boats, but i am having a hard time finding deep v's.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
Most manufacturers of fishing boats sell a line of aluminum deep v's that you can find on the used boat market in your price range. Also look at resale values on the internet and you will see that the better boats hold their value longer. With the aluminums and even some of the glass deep v's, you wont get the storage space you do in a bass boat of the same size.

You may even find one new in your range too depending on model. This time of year is a good time to buy as most dealerships are wanting to move their '03 models. Dont forget to ask about new '02 or even '01 models, you can get a GREAT deal that route.

All that said, I know of a great 17 1/2 foot Champion with a 150hp Mariner that would fit your bill perfectly. The boat is a 97 I believe (help me out cameraguy) and is in excellent shape and loaded full of extras.

Mini

#6 ·
One point from a guy who's had lots of kids in the family boat. Bass boats' extremely limited gunwale height is an important safety factor in boat choice. It is really easy to go overboard in a bass boat compared to a more traditional mod-v hull with standard gunwales, especially given the limited seating and flat casting decks. I second the Crestliner suggestion - you might also have a look at the Scout line. They produce some nice glass hulls that work very well for either fishing or watersports. Good storage and seating options, too. On the alum side, try to find a used Sea Nymph in 17-19ft. They power very reasonably and have good transoms for alum hulls - important if you pull tubers or skiers directly off the back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.